Funky/ cool .45-70 sporter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Funky/ cool .45-70 sporter

Post by 2ndovc »

The gunsmith that Bill-in-OR put me on to with the 9x49mm (.35 Rem) Swede offered one of his custom Mosin Nagant sporters while he's still working on a P-14 target rifle for me. Couldn't say no to this one.

This is a Russian 91 action with a Ruger barrel and rib made into a single shot .45-70 scout rifle. Fits my oddball addiction perfectly.
Looking forward to getting it and the Swede out to the range on a warm day to see what they can do.

Before anyone starts whining about ruining collectibles, the components for the rifle were collected from different places and sources at different times.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Funky/ cool .45-70 sporter

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Like the butter knife bolt. I like finding stuff like that. How much does weigh? Hope you have plenty of reloading stuff for it. Turn it into a big .22! :mrgreen:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:17 pm Like the butter knife bolt. I like finding stuff like that. How much does weigh? Hope you have plenty of reloading stuff for it. Turn it into a big .22! :mrgreen:
It weighs about 9 pounds or so. Heavier than my LTD III, but nowhere near my Sharps or 1885s. Lots of .45-70 stuff, been shooting it since I was a kid playing with my dad's Trapdoors.

jb 8)

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Interesting. Look forward to your range report.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I am sure you can load that one about as stout as you want to. It would make a heck of a "Texas swine jihad" hog hammer. :mrgreen:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:05 pm Jason, I am sure you can load that one about as stout as you want to. It would make a heck of a "Texas swine jihad" hog hammer. :mrgreen:
That's perfect! I've been wondering what to call it. I already have the Franken Finn, Mo-Ger or Rugant just didn't sound right. :D
Tom's been great! It's nice to have a guy that knows how to build a rifle for someone that is over 5'4". This is one has a 14 1/2" LOP and it's a perfect fit!

jb 8)

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I never viewed a Mosin Nagant as collectible in the first place . So more power to you !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a few, but the only one I've had that I shoot often is a Finn Model 39. That one is worth a bit more than the $79 I paid for it.
My dad and uncle have a couple that are going for big$ these days, but I don't think they ever paid more that a couple hundred for any of them. I had a Dragoon rifle that was absolutely mint that I bought with my Russian '95. I sold the Dragoon for $1000 many years ago, that's one I should have kept.

I like the military arms too much to cut up an original, especially with all the Bubba and parts guns out there. I've been wanting a P-14 sporter for years and with all these Drill Purpose rifles coming in recently, many have receivers that are salvageable.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Now that is a really interesting custom rifle.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

That is a fun thing.

I believe there were some sporterised Siamese Mausers back in the day that shot 45-70 too.

Scrummy
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Scrumbag wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:03 am That is a fun thing.

I believe there were some sporterised Siamese Mausers back in the day that shot 45-70 too.

Scrummy
I've handled a couple of the Siamese Mausers. Massive things, but the few that I've come across have been pretty rough. I did have an Enfield No.4 that had been converted to .45-70 by Navy Arms, but it just didn't function properly so it was traded off years ago.

Our weather is finally warming up, so I'm plotting a range trip next week. I have several rifles to sight in.

jb 8)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm not a big bolt gun guy, but that's a really nicely done bolt gun! I love the flat bolt handle, and the treatment on the Schnabel forearm. Of course the caliber is great too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks great jb. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks again, guys!

this one definitely pushes all my eclectic buttons. the bolt handle, scout setup and that stock just put it over the top.
It's a beautiful day out, but I have a pile of estimates to write and a claim to look at tomorrow that's almost three hours away. Range day is going to have to wait until next week.

jb 8)