RIP: Gary Brooker of Procol Harum ("Whiter Shade of Pale", & more)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

RIP: Gary Brooker of Procol Harum ("Whiter Shade of Pale", & more)

Post by Old No7 »

Aw man, we've lost one of the greatest voices in rock 'n roll.........

“Gary’s voice and piano were the single defining constant of Procol Harum's fifty-year international concert career.

Without any stage antics or other gimmicks, he was invariably the most watchable musician in the show,”
the statement ** says.

** From the band's press release

Gary Brooker, who sang Procol Harum’s intoxicating ballad “A Whiter Shade of Pale,” has died at 76.

The musician, who co-wrote the band’s 1967 classic which came to define the “Summer of Love,” lost his battle with cancer Saturday, according to his surviving bandmates.

“He lit up any room he entered, and his kindness to a multilingual family of fans was legendary,” said Procol Harum of their late singer in a statement on social media.

“He was notable for his individuality, integrity and occasionally stubborn eccentricity. His mordant wit, and appetite for the ridiculous, made him a priceless raconteur (and his surreal inter-song banter made a fascinating contrast with the gravitas of Procol Harum’s performances),”
the band added.

I do believe that I "turned a whiter shade" upon hearing this sad, sad news...

RIP Gary -- thanks for all the great music.

So sad...

Old No7

Gary Brooker then now.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: RIP: Gary Brooker of Procol Harum ("Whiter Shade of Pale", & more)

Post by Old No7 »

In Gary's honor...

Here it is, one of my Most favorite versions of "A Whiter Shade of Pale" with the Danish National Concert Orchestra in 2006, and starting off in a minor key as well (click for link).

I'll have to crank up my Hammond organ (clone) and play that song this evening................

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Aw Man, what a performance!!!!! I would have to put that song in the top 10, maybe top 5 of rock and roll ever. Sorry to hear, thank you for the link. Bookmarked and saved.
-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

CowboyTutt wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:30 pm Aw Man, what a performance!!!!! I would have to put that song in the top 10, maybe top 5 of rock and roll ever. Sorry to hear, thank you for the link. Bookmarked and saved.
-Tutt
Plus one to the above, sad news indeed. RIP Gary Brooker.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

May he Rest In Peace. Prayers for comfort for his family sent.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Great song. I also liked "Conquistador" a lot. RIP, Gary.

I also listen to Robin Trower's, "Bridge of Sighs" quite a bit, they had some great talent in that band.