Question for the Mannlicher Schoenauer owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Question for the Mannlicher Schoenauer owners

Post by Walker »

Picked up a well-hunted model 1903 carbine and I've been wanting to mount a peep sight. I've had a couple of mannlichers and over the years picked up a couple of lyman no. 36 swing away peep sights, MS-24 and MS-50. It looks like the MS-24 replaces the bolt release like the earlier version just with a longer base. Have you seen the longer based sight mounted on the shorter receivers of the earlier guns? I've also got a Parker Hale sporttarget but don't want to mod the cocking piece unless it's necessary.
20220224_142715.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Question for the Mannlicher Schoenauer owners

Post by JDL »

You will need a #36-MS for rifles produced from 1898 to 1924. 36MS-24 is for rifles produced from 1924 to 1950 and 36MS-50 fits rifles from 1950 to end of production in mid '70's.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Nice sights you have. I've been looking for a 36-MS for a while for my 8x56, but haven't found one I could stomach the price on yet. I've seen some for sale on Gunbroker and bid on some, but no luck yet.

Best of luck, hope you post a picture of your rifle before or after you find the sight.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Thanks Guys, I may have to go with the Parker Hale sight then. Haven't seen an original lyman 36-MS in about 10 years.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Keep a close watch on EBay.