Favorite SA revolver(s) for packing

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Favorite SA revolver(s) for packing

Post by Old Savage »

Well Griff, back to the one line address. Two 5 1/2”s and a 4 3/4” 3rd Gens of 79 manufacture all have the one line address all done the same way same place. So I suspect that is the way they did them all that year. However, I have no way of knowing if the 4 3/4” was cut down. So Six may be right, usually is.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:18 pm I used to pack a couple different ones. My favorite was an Old Model Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. The barrel was cut to 4 1/4" .. the topstrap remodeled to resemble a Colt SAA topstrap. The front sight sloped forward ... the back of the ejector rod was sloped forward. I did that as I discovered when carrying it shoved in my waistband, on a fast draw I sometimes pulled my underwear up near my chin because the ejector rod caught on them.

357ruger.jpg

ruger357.jpg

The other was another Old Model Ruger .357 that I had converted to .45 ACP by Jim Stroh. 3 /12" barrel. I eventually had this gun nickle-plated.

45acp.jpg

45acp5.jpg

45acp3.jpg

I prefer fixed sights on defensive handguns. The less parts to get out of adjustment or fall off, the better.
I sure like that .45 ACP sixgun Jim. Looking back on an older post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:43 am I sure like that .45 ACP sixgun Jim. Looking back on an older post.
Yes .. that was a very nice one. Made a powerful but small package. I am not sure where it went. I sold it before we moved to Africa.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'll bet that is a lot of fun to shoot!!!! :D -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

CowboyTutt wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:22 pm I'll bet that is a lot of fun to shoot!!!! :D -Tutt
It was a very nice handling gun. This is what it looked like when it was finished ... except for the grips.
acp8.jpg
loader.jpg
Note the speedloader
acp5.jpg
acp1.jpg
acp2.jpg
acp3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JOG
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOG »

I occasionally lug my Ruger Flattop Blackhawk in 44 spl. with the Duke holster that El Paso Saddelry made for me a decade ago.
The other Flattop is Ruger's Anniversary
DSC_0652.JPG
model in 357.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JOG on Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those Rugers with the . 45ACP cylinder are fun. The one I have is plenty accurate. I always run out of ammo before my hand gets tired.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

piller wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:15 am Those Rugers with the . 45ACP cylinder are fun. The one I have is plenty accurate. I always run out of ammo before my hand gets tired.
And that's what I like about several of the lower recoiling cartridges.

I can't shoot a full box of .44 Magnum anymore. But I can shoot 50 rounds of .44 Special, .45 Auto, or .357 Magnum and I'm just fine.

Tell you the truth, I am getting more and more excited about my little Ruger Single Seven. That .327 cartridge is a real hoot to shoot!
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

My Second model Dragoon
Just foolin I'd need my tool belt with suspenders to hold it up.
Drawdown
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Drawdown »

There's some beauty's on here! When I first went to work in 77, first 2 guns I bought was a 22 rifle, then a 12 ga shotgun. 3rd was a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk, 357mag, 6.5" barrel. I really loved it, could hit pop cans often at seems like 25-30 yds, and laying prone with the butt rested on a solid, consistently. I should've used it to take a deer, but I eventually traded it for a rifle. I favor a 357! Later I got my all time and still favorite handgun, a Mod 19 S&W, 357, 6" barrel. I was still packing it in the woods until 3 years ago, on account of weight, I got a 4" 45acp, and I can't hardly tell I'm wearing it. But the Ruger BH, I'd like to have another!
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life"

"Better drawdown Alvin!"
"If you gotta shoot, shoot don't talk"
Conservative since day one and until the last!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

.44 Special
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Mossyoak1957 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:12 pm My Second model Dragoon
Just foolin I'd need my tool belt with suspenders to hold it up.
My FAVORITE!!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mossy, I've got just the belt for that dragoon of yours in the classifieds! :lol:
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I carry a Ruger stainless vaquero in 44 magnum with 4 5/8.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A . 44 Mag is rarely needed in Texas. Wild Hogs under 300 pounds have went right down for me with a . 40 S&W Glock model 22 both times I tried it. Not many weeks per year that we have to wear heavy clothing. A . 45 ACP lightweight revolver is likely to be plenty for feral hogs under 200 pounds and feral humans of almost any size.
If I lived someplace where bears were commonly encountered, a good medium length . 44 Magnum would be first choice. Mostly because of the weather, we don't need that power level. A . 44 Mag is great for hog hunting just for the ease of knocking the hog down right where it stood. No tracking needed. Bigger hogs might need to be tracked, but they are not common.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Big Dave Wasson killed over 100 hogs in 2021. They would get trapped at the grain bin operation where he works.

Most were dispatched with a .22 Ruger MKII that he got from me. The bigger ones were shot with a .40 Taurus that he wears.

I don't believe that hogs are any harder to kill than deer or any other similar sized animal.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

my favorite packing SA sixgun is a Colt 5.5 inch 45. About 3 years ago I fell and broke my right hip. Al of my walking is with a cane and just on flat ground around the house.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Nothing remarkable Black Hawk in 41 magnum with a 4 5/8 barrel.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

model55 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:52 am Nothing remarkable Black Hawk in 41 magnum with a 4 5/8 barrel.
I'm not so sure that ain't "remarkable." There are lots of worse guns a person could pack and few better.