.45 LC Levers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

.45 LC Levers

Post by Poohgyrr »

I thought we could use another topic to talk about, and I pick up my new to me 16" M94 in .45LC tomorrow, so :D here we are.

Anyone have any pics or thoughts to share?

Favorite loads?
Favorite sights?
Anyone have more than one brand & want to compare them?

Hmmm... I have a 1911/.45, but no .45LC wheelgun.......
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Marlin 1894 Cowboy 24"... SWEET rifle!! My favorite (pistol cal.)to shoot and to load for. :wink:
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have a W94AE SRC. I love the 300 gr Cast Performance for hogs and close range whitetail (125 yards self imposed limit w/ this gun). I shoot the same loads out of my SBH-H.

Here's mine:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have two .45 Colt leverguns. 1, 1985 EMF/Uberti 1873 copy in 24-1/4" barrel

Imageand;

2, a EMF/Rossi 1892 copy 20" Short Rifle

The two pistols under the 1873 are my 3rd Gen Colt SAAs, also in .45 Colt. Then too, my son has two EMF/Hartford Models in .45 Colt. One was made by Uberti, the other by Armi San Marco.

I have about 6 different loads I use, depending on application.

For CAS, in the hand guns I load about 6.5 grs of RedDot under a LBT 185gr WFN that clocks along about 800fps. Not a light load, but nothing substantial. Very easy to handle. Goes bang, clang with regularity if I do my part.

Again, for CAS, the 1873 uses a 225 grain bullet cast out of a RCBS .45-225-CAV mold. I can lube this bullet for either smokeless or BP and it works just as well with either. Lubed with SPG it will run thru a full days shooting with BP without cleaning, just a little spraying of Gun Scrubber on the lifter during the noon time break to keep that lifter rising and falling.

In the 1892 Rossi, I found a 200gr round flat nose that runs thru it very sweetly. My son doesn't shoot BP, so this one is just run with Alox lube. Both this bullet and the 225 grain above are pushed out the case with that same 6.5 grains of RedDot as used in the pistols.

Accuracy for all is excellent for CAS purposes, about 2 moa. For more serious pursuits, I use a couple of jacketed rounds. Mainly a Speer jacketed hollowpoint of 225 grains loaded behind that same 6.5 grains of RedDot for use in the handguns and the 1873.

However, with the extra strength of the 1892, I've been working up loads to use a Sierra 240 grain jacketed HP and the 225 Speer. Right now I'm loading at 7 grains of RedDot and am looking for some more accuracy and velocity. May require changing powders.

I also recently bought some Hornady 240 grain XTP/Magnum which I hope to push up to around the high teens for dangerous game.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

86er wrote:I have a W94AE SRC. I love the 300 gr Cast Performance for hogs and close range whitetail (125 yards self imposed limit w/ this gun). I shoot the same loads out of my SBH-H.

Here's mine:

Man that is a fine looking Winchester ya got there 86er

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Photo credits in my previous reply to DUFF L BAG. He was the previous owner who gratiously allowed me to care for the gun from now on. That's his cool looking throw blanket.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've got an EMF/Rossi .45 Colt carbine I bought from Steve Young/Nate Kiowa Jones of Steve's Gunz.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Favorite loads?
Favorite sights?
Well lets see, I gotta 85 vintage Win 94 AE Trapper .45 Colt and a Marlin 1894 CBC in .45 Colt too.

My favorite loads: 9.0grs Unique behind most any 250-270gr bullet. Usually is a Keith SWC though.

My favorites sights are a Williams or Lyman side mount receiver sight with a post front.

There is no comparison between a Winchester (USRAC) and a Marlin. Except to say they are both lever actions.

Joe
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

86er wrote:Photo credits in my previous reply to DUFF L BAG. He was the previous owner who gratiously allowed me to care for the gun from now on. That's his cool looking throw blanket.

Joe That is a fine looking and shooting gun and I hope that you get many good years out of it. I know that I am enjoying the 1895 Cowboy. And I still have my 94 winchester legacy in 45 colt.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I need a better picture but this will put a 360 out at 1570 fps. Amazing.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My 94A.E. trapper loves the Cor-Bon 300 grn JSP +p's. For plinking cast 250grn RNFP's with 9grn of Unique shoot just fine.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

I have but one, a dinky little late model Winchester `92 Trapper. Neat little carbine that I haven't taken the time to get to know. Needs a peep sight.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And the recoil was surprisingly mild.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I sure like my Trails End model with round barrel and tang safety. Shot this deer with 300gr Oregon Trail cast bullet at about 100 long paces.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a Trails End in .45LC on my dealer's shelf at one time. And holding off for the take down 38-55 that was in the catalog... :cry:

But, there are other Levers out there, including the Marlins and M92s! :D
John
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

I too have a Winchester trapper AE in 45 colt and I use

Post by cvarcher »

loads that work also out of my Colt NEw Frontier . That is 8.3gr Universal Clays and a 250gr Mt Baldy SWC . This gives about 900fps with the Colt and 1150fps out of the Winchester. Plenty of power for deer up to 100 yds. As for groups this winchester puts em in one ragged hole about an inch at 25 yards with the open iron sights. I dont like the rear sight notch though and may try those One Ragged Hole peep sights. Heres a Marlin 1894 and the Winny 94

The Marlin can shoot great too, heres my very first 5 shots open sights at 25 yards in 357mag

Image[/img]
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

never mind didnt see I had all ready replied.
Last edited by JReed on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My 45Colts.

Both are super shooters. Been addicted to the 45C for a long time but this is the first time I 've had more than one. Wierd!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Lousy pic of my Rossi 1892
Needs either a tang or receiver sight. Can a receiver sight be mounted on these?

USFA Rodeos, .45 Colt top, .38-40 bottom

And for funsies, Pietta Remington NMA with .45 Colt conversion cylinder
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
mad mucus
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mad mucus »

Chuck 100 yd said >>>--->
"Marlin 1894 Cowboy 24"... SWEET rifle!! My favorite (pistol cal.)to shoot and to load for. :wink: "

+1

Favourite loads...

PRS 45-250 Big Lube® RNFP over 32gnVol Wano fffg BLACK POWDER

250gn RNFP over 10gn Universal

Enjoy & congratulations Poohgyrr

Mucus
"Outlaw firearms and only the outlaws will have them."
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

Let me ask a dumb question. Can you(or have you ) safely load the heavier bullets (300 grains) in ,say,a 73 Winchester or Henry copy for hunting ?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Rebel, I have a Uberti '73 and would not load 300gr bullets in it.I would think you could shoot them but velociety would be low maybe 900fps at the muzzle and depending on the bullet may not feed in the action.
I load 200gr lead bullets with HS6 powder for about 1300fps.
My favorite loads in the 94 Legacy 24" barrel are the Keith 265gr over 18.5gr of 2400= 1500fps. Paco's heavy load with the same bullet 27gr of 296=1800fps. both are accurate and the latter shoots very nice holes thru 3/8 steel plate. I have shot 320gr Gould gas check over 23gr of H110 for about 1500fps. and after I missed a critter in the back fourty I dug the bullet out after it penetrated 44" of sod.it looked like a mole had been in the yard. Jim.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

J Miller wrote:
Favorite loads?
Favorite sights?
Well lets see, I gotta 85 vintage Win 94 AE Trapper .45 Colt and a Marlin 1894 CBC in .45 Colt too.

My favorite loads: 9.0grs Unique behind most any 250-270gr bullet. Usually is a Keith SWC though.

My favorites sights are a Williams or Lyman side mount receiver sight with a post front.

There is no comparison between a Winchester (USRAC) and a Marlin. Except to say they are both lever actions.

Joe
I agree with you Joe. But which do you like the best? The Marlin or the Winchester?
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I picked up my only 45colt lever about 2 months ago and a 4 5/8 Blackhawk a few days later.

It shoots as sweet as pie. And with my loads, I wouldn't hesitate shooting much of anything inside 150yds.

It really is a great cartridge and seems to just have accuracy built right into it.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

heres my 45 colt Uberti 73 24" barrel.
plinking rounds 250 gr lead cast bullet FNRP, 8.0 gr unique
winchester brass and primers....
and a beretta stampede 45 lc....having trouble with this guy...
this is my boat anchor.....I cant get it to shoot a decent group...
It looks like it does not like the rounds i put through the rifle..
I'm just gonna have to find out what bullet and powder charge it likes.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

meanc wrote:I picked up my only 45colt lever about 2 months ago and a 4 5/8 Blackhawk a few days later.

It shoots as sweet as pie. And with my loads, I wouldn't hesitate shooting much of anything inside 150yds.

It really is a great cartridge and seems to just have accuracy built right into it.

GREAT LOOKING LEGACY
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Rebel1972 wrote:Let me ask a dumb question. Can you(or have you ) safely load the heavier bullets (300 grains) in ,say,a 73 Winchester or Henry copy for hunting ?
I don't think that's a dumb question but doing it is impractical. Why? Because at the pressures safe in those actions, the 300 gr. bullet probably has a trajectory that won't suit you. Best to stay with ballistics that are close to the original .44-40 (.44 WCF) or 230 to 250 gr. at 1300 to 1000 fps respectively from the carbine barrel. Get close enough and that will do the job.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lastmohecken wrote:
J Miller wrote:
Favorite loads?
Favorite sights?

Joe
I agree with you Joe. But which do you like the best? The Marlin or the Winchester?
Lastmohecken,
I can't choose a favorite right now.
The 94Trapper has the longer action which will digest longer cartridges. It has proved itself with over 20 years of history with me. It's accurate at 100 yards and very reliable.
The Marlin has the longer barrel which makes for better balance, it has been reliable so far, and it' s been accurate up to 25 yards. But I've only had it for a year now.
When I've had a chance to wring it out at a hundred yards and see what accuracy it has there, then I'll make my choice.

RIHMFIRE,
Have you checked the chamber throat vs barrel grove diameter yet on the Stampede? Might not be a problem, but it's something to check.
It may also simply not like the bullet you are using. If you can find a flat based bullet at about 10 to 12 BHN sized to .454" try them. I've had the best results with bullets like that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

That is what I was wondering Hobie. I've never shot a 45 colt before,but from everything I have read so far the marlins and the winchester 94s are for hunting and the copies are for playin' cowboy.The thing is ,a hundred years ago people were hunting with the real deal .I know I like the looks of the Cimaron long range 73 with the 30 inch barrel .I guess I was just thinking out loud ( or in this case with the tips of my fingers) :lol:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Here's my stable of subject 45 Colt levers:

Top: 1894CB w/Lyman receiver sight
Middle: 20" 1894C
Bottom: 16" 1894 "The Marlin Limited"

Noah
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

45 colt

Post by Caco »

One thought on that stamped Check the cyl throat dia vs. the barrel grove dia. If the cyl throat is smaller, it sizes the bullet undersize and can cause accuracy problems particularly with lead bullets.
Dave
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

OT:

Man you guys are making me green with envy! I've been looking for a 20" 1894 in 45 Colt, drilled & tapped for a few days. I was needing cash for something else and was going to sell a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 45 Colt, its an extra, I've put 12 rounds thru it. But I didn't need to after all so I thought I would trade it for a rifle, and can't find one like I mentioned.

Anyone know where one can be found?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

meanc wrote: Image
[larry] I don't care what you say, that there is a fine-looking rifle right there.[/larry]

Noah
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rebel1972 wrote:That is what I was wondering Hobie. I've never shot a 45 colt before,but from everything I have read so far the marlins and the winchester 94s are for hunting and the copies are for playin' cowboy.The thing is ,a hundred years ago people were hunting with the real deal .I know I like the looks of the Cimaron long range 73 with the 30 inch barrel .I guess I was just thinking out loud ( or in this case with the tips of my fingers) :lol:
Rebel,
With the .45 Colt using standard pressure level loads you still do not need the longer barrels. The only benefit you might get from them is longer sight radius. There really isn't enough powder in the standard loadings to use the extra length.
Hunting with a Henry, 1866, or 1873 copy is perfectly doable. You simply have to "***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts :wink: .*** "
A 255 gr bullet at 1100 or so feet per second is not something to dismiss. Pick a bullet with a good meplat and you'll be surprised.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rebel1972 wrote:Let me ask a dumb question. Can you(or have you ) safely load the heavier bullets (300 grains) in ,say,a 73 Winchester or Henry copy for hunting ?
NOT DUMB at ALL. In fact, I'd say because you asked, it shows above average intelligence. But, I gotta agree w/Hobie. However, that shouldn't deter you from hunting with said levergun. Factory loaded ammo suitable for these rifles ain't a slouch. Proper ranging, bullet placement are still the two most important factors in downing game. In fact, Winchester 225 gr Silvertip .45 Colt ammo clocks out of a 5.5" handgun @ ~920fps. I would estimate it around 1200fps out of a rifle.

I believe ScottT on the forum took a nice whitetail with a .44Spl in a USFA revolver this past year. Heavy bullets are not a requirement. Those between 200 and 250gr in these cartridges are known gamegetters.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

For a compact brush carry rifle they can't be beat.

This is my SRC with two rifles known for being compact, a contender carbine,
and a Remmy model 7.

As you can see there is no comparison as to which would carry better in the woods.

Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Rebel1972
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rebel1972 »

I knew tht the barrel length probably would not help much. But it do look cool on the 73 copy. http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... s/1873.htm
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I have a Puma/Rossi carbine and a Ruger Blackhawk.
For my general purpose load I use 6 to 6.5 g of tightgroup and O.trail lead bullets. The 45 Colt is one of my favorite calibers - you can not go wrong with it.
trooper joe
Levergunner 2.0

Glad I got my Rossi .45 Colt

Post by trooper joe »

Great thread guys.

I bought a pre-safety Rossi SRC in stainless steel, .45 Colt, in the late 90s.

I didn't shoot it much but I did notice that is shot very tight groups at 25 yards (that is about it for me with open sights) although about 6" high, especially with that Winchester 225 PProtection load.

I just bought a 5 1/2" blue, New Ruger Vaquero, that also loves that Winchester ammo. Going to get serious about reloading and take this pair in the woods next deer season.

By the way, a local dealer sold me a box of Corbon, 300 grn ammo (semi jacketed bullet) that I plan on only using in my Rossi. I want to keep my loads in the New Vaquero on the standard or light side.

Been talking to Steve Young about a higher front sight to correct the point of aim issue.

Thanks for all the info in this thread.
Trooper Joe
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Rebel,

Thanks for the link, those long barrels don't look too bad. And I didn't know they made a 16" '73.....

A lot of good looking 45s here.....
John
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

if you have the acp then you should have powders that will work in the
colt if you want to hunt with it look at sr-4756 or longshot of course unique will work in both for alot of versatility and the horn 250 xtp will
get the job done on deer also
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Here's mine. A 1894 stainless, laminate, 16 1/4" BBL. I have been shooting the Hornady 240 and 250 grn xtp's.
Karl
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Marlinshooter,

That there is one beautiful Marlin brother :D :D
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

marlin shooter wrote:Here's mine. A 1894 stainless, laminate, 16 1/4" BBL. I have been shooting the Hornady 240 and 250 grn xtp's.
Karl
That's a very eye-appealing lever you have, MS.

I've been looking for one of those for some time now. Love to have one.

Noah
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Here is my M92 Rossi Puma in 45LC. On a weekend trip here in Alberta.