OT - Handgun choice?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

OT - Handgun choice?

Post by bsaride »

Thinking about a sidearm for my 1908 Marlin 30-30.

I will eventually get 357s (rifle and pistol) cuz I like them
and have tons of reloading stuff for them.

I would like to know what guns were available in 1908
and I'm thinking maybe 44-40 but more likely a 45 Long Colt.

Is there any preference historically for what I'm thinking?
Colt SAA, double actions, S&Ws etc.

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Well, if you're going for a historical gun of the time period, I'd go with the Colt SAA in .45 Colt. I think the 44-40 is a neat cartridge, but dies, bullets, and factory ammo are more readily available in .45. If you're just going for a reliable sidearm that you can load as hot as you want, get a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk in .45. I think you can also get a Blackhawk in 44-40.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

45 colt, 44/40, 38 wcf (38/40), 32 wcf (32/20). Just to satisfy my mean streak, here is about a 1906 rebuilt 32 wcf I own.

wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

bogus bill wrote:45 colt, 44/40, 38 wcf (38/40), 32 wcf (32/20). Just to satisfy my mean streak, here is about a 1906 rebuilt 32 wcf I own.

If you're ever in the Provo area you should come shooting with me. :) Sweet Colt BTW!

Heber
Heber Ellsworth
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have 45 colt, 44-40 38-40, 32-20 all in 1st and 3rd generations Colt SAA. The first three are all about the same. The 32-20 is very accurate. The 45 Colt is the easiest to get ammo for. Save your money and get a Colt SAA. They all try to copy, but there is only one sixgun; that is a Colt SAA. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I would vote for a single action in .45 Colt. That is the best all around cartridge. I'd love to have a Colt, but they just do not fit my budget. I think a Ruger Blackhawk with a 5 inch barrel would be really neat!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well,

45LC is my choice of caliber. Since I'm looking for a sidearm/camp gun
at this point I think I want something, just not in the budget for a nice
vintage piece. Uberti 1873 Cattleman OM Oldwest model.

I kinda like this pistol for it's vintage look, anything wrong with Uberti pistols?

The rifle:

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Well, I suppose if you want to be like everybody else you could go with a single action thumbbuster. However if you want to stand out a little, you could go with Smith and Wesson Hand Ejectors in the .38 special Military and Police Model. Or if seriously stuck on large calibers you could do worse than an N frame Smith Hand Ejector model in .44 Special or .45 Colt. Either of those S&W models would be as appropriate for 1908 as the single actions and possible even more so as, at that time, the double action revolvers were more up-to-date than the "old school" SAA.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

GoatGuy wrote:Well, I suppose if you want to be like everybody else you could go with a single action thumbbuster. However if you want to stand out a little, you could go with Smith and Wesson Hand Ejectors in the .38 special Military and Police Model. Or if seriously stuck on large calibers you could do worse than an N frame Smith Hand Ejector model in .44 Special or .45 Colt. Either of those S&W models would be as appropriate for 1908 as the single actions and possible even more so as, at that time, the double action revolvers were more up-to-date than the "old school" SAA.
My old camp gun was a Lew Horton 44 Spcl S&W with warm loads.
Don't want a 38 at this time. Any history with the Hand Ejector? I was
kinda looking at those too, would have to find one in the budget if I went
that route. Believe it was right around '08 thay came out with the 44 HE.
KI6WZU
NRA member

bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Thanks, wildmanh, I have 4 colt SAs, and 3 clones. Truth be, I have been more of a hoarder than shooter for quite awhile. I am retired in cedar city. I am comeing through your town in a week, but its to go get surgery at the huntsman hospital. Had my nose cut off due to cancer in december and been getting a new one built. This is my 4th surgery since. Thanks
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Hey, I got a triplelock also. In fact I have 6 44 specials. here are a couple pictures. Like I said, I got a mean streak.

wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

bogus bill wrote:Thanks, wildmanh, I have 4 colt SAs, and 3 clones. Truth be, I have been more of a hoarder than shooter for quite awhile. I am retired in cedar city. I am comeing through your town in a week, but its to go get surgery at the huntsman hospital. Had my nose cut off due to cancer in december and been getting a new one built. This is my 4th surgery since. Thanks
Good luck with the surgery! Awsome Pistols you have there!!

Heber
Heber Ellsworth
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Thanks, I traded heavy in the 60s through the 80s or so. Got quite a few.
Mostly smiths and colts. Not too much new stuff.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

bsaride, I can understand the budget problem. I have several Ubertis. In fact I have one like you pictured with the "original" finish. I did a little work on the finish with Casey's Cold Blue and 00 steelwool. I think it turned out great. All my Ubertis shoot well. I put the other cylinder screw that comes with it in and put the one in your picture back in the box. It looks much better.

Last edited by rangerider7 on Thu May 29, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That'll Be The Day"
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

bsaride - If you are interested in N frames, and original Hand Ejectors are too hard to find or too pricey at this time, S&W has their Classic Series Hand Ejectors in 44 spec. and 45 acp available. These too are pricey for my buget, but might work for you.

If I were in your shoes and wanted a large frame, big bore double action to compliment my 1908 Marlin 30-30 I'd be looking for either a Smith & Wesson or Colt 1917 in 45 acp/45 auto rim. Just a thought. Good luck to ya'.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

bogus bill wrote:Hey, I got a triplelock also. In fact I have 6 44 specials. here are a couple pictures. Like I said, I got a mean streak.
That is an awesome collection Bogus Bill! :P (I miss the old icon where the tongue was hanging out) Good luck on your upcoming surgery and prayers going up.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Handgun choice?

Post by Slick13 »

bsaride wrote:Thinking about a sidearm for my 1908 Marlin 30-30.
Colt New Service in .44-40 or .45 Colt is what I'd be looking for.

If you want a reasonably priced modern SAA, I'd look at the USFA Rodeo before an antiqued Uberti.

~Michael
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

As the owner of 5 Ruger revolvers, you know which way I lean. They are reasonably priced and you can't break one or wear one out.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

My levergun/pistol pairing while not historicaly or time peroid correct have some small amount of commonality linking the two. I purchased my 336A new in 2002, at the time I was not thinking about pairing it with a sidearm. A few years later I wnated a sixgun that would allow me to shoot without going broke. While at the same time have boat loads of readily available components and load data.

I ended up purchasing a new S&W .38 SPL M10 and have been enjoying it ever since. At the moment I don't have a rig for it :( , but I am slowly woking on it. When out hunting I wear one of the old Police style double dump pouches for extra ammo. My holster is nothing fancy and will probably get me banished from here as it is not leather :shock: , but a nylon Bianchi Accu Mold 7001.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well I done did it.

Found a dealer who doesn't mind layaway with something I can live with
for a sidearm/camp gun.

It's close to my old camp gun a Lew Horton 624 from the 80s I had to let go.

http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/displ ... um=8646965

Anyone remember Fuzzy Farrant?

My 624 had his grips on it and I loved them. Guess I will have to look for
a grip maker or make my own.

Any reccomendations on material for the grips?

I like stag, but don't have any. Lots of exotic wood and burls that I could use.
KI6WZU
NRA member

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!!!

I bought the nickle version. The stags are from Eagle grips. Love .44 Specials!

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

bsaride - good for you! Nice, unusual N frame and one that should hold its value since, relatively speaking, few are made in that configuration. Glad you chose an N frame, ...and in 44 special to boot. With something a little less common, and your familiarity of the type from your Lew Horton camp gun days, I'm sure you will be very happy with your unique Marlin/S&W "combo".
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

bsaride, that is one fabulous looking N frame .44 SPL. It will make one dandy of a duo that will serve you well into the future.

2ndovc, how well does your M 21 shoot for you, and what loads do you normally use?
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

bsaride, I have a Kings conversion Colt New Service in 44-40 that I carry sometimes with an "EL Tigre" in 44-40. It is a great combo.

"That'll Be The Day"
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I got to dreaming about how "moderne" I would have been in 1908 (the year my father was born), and decided that - to be on the cutting edge -
I would have opted for a big Colt autoloader (1903? 1905?) or A Mauser C96...(Probably also would have traded that Marlin in for one of those brand new Remington autoloading rifles. They're takedowns, too>)

Initially missed your purchase. That is one handsome revolver. Hope you enjoy it for a long time to come
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Thanks guys,

I got to thinkin about my old camp gun (Lew Horton 624)
and remembered how nice it was to have on my hip all day.

Nice thing about my choice is that it's modern (2004) and new,
making it NOT have any issues (I hope) to address.

Just hope the Marlin doesn't get jealous with that case color, lol.
KI6WZU
NRA member