Dating a Leoupold scope

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MS 9x56
Levergunner

Dating a Leoupold scope

Post by MS 9x56 »

I just picked up a JM Marlin 336 in 35 rem that has a 1.5x5 Leoupold vari X Iii scope on it. It has the old style coin operated adjustable turrets. Is there any way to date these to a year of manufacture. The gun was made in 1976. Scope looks like maybe same era but is nice and clear. Turrets didn’t look or feel as if they had been on and off much as the cap threads were still black. First 2 shots at 50 yards were in the bull and touching. Must have had a trigger job at some time as when the hammer is cocked it only has a 2.5 lb pull. Gun is clean no scratches or dings only light blueing wear around end of muzzle.
Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Dating a Leoupold scope

Post by TomF »

Call Leupold. They will tell you everything about your scope when you give them the S/N. This is also how you may discern counterfeit Leupold. I called, concerned about a fake, was told mine was real.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Probably didn't have a trigger job, as a lot of 336's from that era had nicer triggers!
The Vari-X III 1.5-5x was introduced in 1975, so yours is after that. It ended in 1985, so likely it was built the same era as the gun it's on now.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

One of the best scopes they ever made in my opinion. I have three Marlins made in 79, they are all very good.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...