Cabinet Mountain grizzly

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Cabinet Mountain grizzly

Post by BigSky56 »

Thought you guys would like to see visitor at my outfit this spring and summer.The photos were taken at neighbors ranch below me after he visited my outfit.

The first photo were the first week of april and the 3 was 1 month later, his front paw measured 71/4" to 71/2" in the snow when I back tracked him, he was 60 yds from the house in the first photo an 10 yds in the third. I ride the area all the time and see his tracks in the creek bottom next to my outfit. danny
Last edited by BigSky56 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BigSky56,

Welcome to our home away from home.

I'm hoping that big 'ole bear stays neighborly. He looks like he could cause some big trouble if he wanted to.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, Big Sky

Neighborly, huh? I'd be hoping he comes back, when its hunting season.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:Welcome to the fire, Big Sky

DITTO!!!!! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well .... he would kinda make a dandy bear rug, wouldn't he.

J :wink: e
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

He hasnt taken any livestock as of yet mostly fawns,calves and fish in the creek. If he does start on stock he would make a nice rug. danny
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I would be a little apprehensive about riding around with that brute out there. He appears to be pretty good sized. If he got acclimated to humans and spooked your horse out from under you, you might find yourself face to face with him. It's different knowing you might run into one then knowing one is out there right around your place.
Old Law Dawg
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

kimwcook wrote:I would be a little apprehensive about riding around with that brute out there. He appears to be pretty good sized. If he got acclimated to humans and spooked your horse out from under you, you might find yourself face to face with him. It's different knowing you might run into one then knowing one is out there right around your place.
I'm with Law Dawg, The fact that he comes around your corral tells me that he's already acclimated to humans. In other words, it's rug time.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Looks like a good excuse to buy a 500 Lin.
I'm too paranoid to let something like that hang around.
I've no idea on how to judge his size, how big is he. Looks well fed. :D
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I've no idea on how to judge his size, how big is he]

Check out the relationship/size of his head to the rest of his body/shoulders. B - I - G That skull looks like a trophy bear, IMHO.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Pete44ru wrote:[I've no idea on how to judge his size, how big is he]

Check out the relationship/size of his head to the rest of his body/shoulders. B - I - G That skull looks like a trophy bear, IMHO.
The second pic gives me a better idea.
He looks filled out. Those claws in the 3rd are awsome!!

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

BigSky56, about where in Montana are you? I'm not familiar with Cabinet Mountains.

(Edit) I googled the Cabinet Mountains and found the Cabinet Wilderness around Libby. Pretty rugged area. Not far from home. I'd love to hunt elk in that area on horseback. Getting a lot of Griz in there?
Old Law Dawg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

That bear was in the 600 lb range coming out of the den in april add 25 to 30% larger when he went in for the winter. Ive had alot of dealings with bears and unless they are forted up on a kill or have cubs you can avoid most problems. There are always the exceptions. Being a horseback the horse will spot them before I do, besides I have a cow eating blue heeler that I would sic on him before I would gunfight him, that dog works good on bears and moose that want to stand and fight. We are getting alot of grizz in the Cabinets and Yaak area too many. And the elk hunting in the Cabinets is fair too, dark timber bull.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Is that your harvest or "someone" else's? He looks like a nice 6X6. Beautiful. My guess it's yours.
Old Law Dawg
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Well Sir that dont look like a blackie to me, so ya gotta treat em real gentel. I would suggest an Olive oil mist an vacume once a week. :lol:
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I was a horseback on a gated road 10 am in a drizzle saw him 35 yds down hill sleeping guess he had been out whoreing and fighting all night, died in his sleep. 1/4's went 125 lbs good eating bull. danny
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

When I first saw the pictures of the bear I thought that BigSky56 might be in danger from the Griz, But after seeing a Picture of BigShy56 I am thinking that the bear might be in danger of having his bottom tanned with a peach switch if acts up around Danny's place. :lol: :lol:

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Duff L Bagg wrote:When I first saw the pictures of the bear I thought that BigSky56 might be in danger from the Griz, But after seeing a Picture of BigShy56 I am thinking that the bear might be in danger of having his bottom tanned with a peach switch if acts up around Danny's place. :lol: :lol:
Yep, my money is on BigSky.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sure would hate to be working around the place, go around the corner of the shop/barn to take care of some business and come face to face with that griz. Taking care of business would probably be taken care of. :lol:
Old Law Dawg