Thinking about selling all my black guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Thinking about selling all my black guns

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Frankly, I am of the age that I do not see myself taking to the streets with an AR-15.

If I need a gun, I would probably be better served with a 12 ga and a .30-30.

When I go out to the ranch, I always take a lever or bolt gun and a .45 Colt revolver. I seem to wear a .357 more than anything else. Everything plastic seems to stay in the safe.

Besides, right now I think I could get top dollar for these toys. :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Thinking about selling all my black guns

Post by Old Savage »

Never had any.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Not a lot of use for mine, either. Uppers in 6.5 Grendel and .458 SOCOM. I have better options if I draw another deer, antelope or cow tag. My lower isn't black, it is FDE. Oh well.
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I've always been more interested in classic hunting rifles. You should be able to get a nice profit!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I have never owned any.
I did have a Kahr 45CW for about a month. I picked it up cheap because it was rusted and got it for a project gun. Got it cleaned up and running and gave it to a friend for his wife. It went bang. So do zip guns. It was not interesting.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I have dozens of antique Winchesters, Colts, old Rugers, Marlins, pre war Smiths, .........and 3 AR's, 3 Uzi's and a BAR.......I'll sell the latter group AFTER the former......money doesn't interest me, keeping America America does.----6
Model A Uzi’s
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My black gun is green, a Sig Sauer M400. It sat around for years, shot it a little with the peep and it was accurate with 77 grainers, put a scope on it and it will one hole em at 50 yards. Plan was to use for pigs, when the pig hunt showed up I took a 30 WCF and Ruger hunter 44 mag and the m400 was left at home. I've had similar thoughts of selling it, cannot warm to it, it's heavy, ugly and unwanted. Oh yeah, we got 9 pigs. Going again in Feb. I hope.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Bought one a year ago cheap, it does seem to operate & shoot real well but i cant like the gun
no matter how i try, ive used it calling coyotes & on running shots the coyote seems to have
the advantage, that is most likely operator err :cry: to me it carry's & shoulders kind of like
carrying a handy man jack with the handle dragging in the dirt :lol:

ollogger
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:52 am Never had any.
That because in California, New Jersey' and other communist states they have laws that restrict the kind of AR you can buy and by the time you get their version of an AR you might as well have a rock. :D

Come on Fred....that was funny!-----006
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

ollogger wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:29 pm Bought one a year ago cheap, it does seem to operate & shoot real well but i cant like the gun
no matter how i try, ive used it calling coyotes & on running shots the coyote seems to have
the advantage, that is most likely operator err :cry: to me it carry's & shoulders kind of like
carrying a handy man jack with the handle dragging in the dirt :lol: ollogger
Hi Brad!,
Ya know, I used to feel the same way about AR's....I refused to have one always being used to the feel of a blued steel gun and walnut. Considered them JUNK......I kept a closed mind on these new fangled plastic guns. If a human keeps their mind closed on ANY particular item in life they will never accept it.

I was pushed by my son and bought one......then I put my handloading skills and knowledge that I learned from other guns into the AR........I learned the different variations and played with them all, even the full autos......I learned the different stocks you can fit on them.....I learned the bullet weights and what shoots best with each twist and barrel length. In short, I embraced the concept despite the uneasiness and after a year or two of experimenting, I have come to love them.....yes....I love them......and you know I've always been a lever action and single action guy.

No brag......at our long range 2-500 meter Silhouette matches and with the exception of a match trigger I use an out of the box AR and competed against guys using $5,000 blue printed bolt actions with 30 inch bull barrels with $3,000 dollar scopes and while I have yet to win a match I shot up there with the best of them.......I can hit a clay bird near every shot out to 500 meters.

It's a drastic change from what we all have been used to.....my hand was moulded for a single action Colt and a '94 Winchester........I kept an open mind and learned...YOU can too.

Say hi to Boots........6
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I don't know.
It's hard enough right now making the transition to Double Action Revolver!

:roll:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have used AR type rifles and in the Army I used Assault Rifles. Even though I can use them, I am not real fond of them. They certainly can be accurate. I do like the fact that they can be changed from one caliber to another with ease. Mattel Toys. They just do not have that special something which draws me. They are sort of the Katharine Ross of firearms.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Whatever does the job.

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I think you all know my opinion of AR type rifles. Still I do have one, a gift from my boys. As such it's not going anywhere. When I'm done with it the youngest will get it. He's a southpaw like his dad.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I’ve never owned one. I’m too lazy to reload for a gun that lets you burn up your work so fast. Plus the .223 in the common 16” barrel is flippin’ loud. Still, I’ve been curious about the KelTec. Nah. I like my single shots just fine. I’m currently without a levergun and must correct that deficiency.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I wish I had the time and energy to shoot all the guns I have... including the ones lost in the lake...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Piller, you lost me on the Katherine Ross analogy. I think Sam Elliott is darned lucky to call her his bride. :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sorry, but I just could never see her as pretty. Lots of guys did. I preferred Raquel Welch and that type.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I've never had one. Thought about most if them. I'm not much of a 223 or AR fan. Closest thing I have is an SKS and I do like M1As. I don't have any plastic frame handguns either but I don't have anything against them. I do have some black stocked bolt actions.

I might would wait a little on selling them. Value may go up a lot soon
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

ollogger wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:29 pm Bought one a year ago cheap, it does seem to operate & shoot real well but i cant like the gun

re

ollogger
Brad, sounds like you're describing the Colt "potato digger" machine gun the boys took to Cuba.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

They will ALL be black guns soon.

Well.....EVIL maybe. The word black will be banned as racist.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well 006, had all the experience I wanted with the real thing, M16, courtesy of Uncle Sam and the NJ and Iowa National Guard. Qualified expert with it in basic. Shot them full auto in Advanced Infantry Training. The only other time I have shot one was to help a friend sight his in. The guys that shoot them at the range seem more interested in rate of fire than what they are hitting. Plus, they throw the brass all over the place. Better things for anything I want to do.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:39 am
re

ollogger
Brad, sounds like you're describing the Colt "potato digger" machine gun the boys took to Cuba.
Potato digger is its new name, i was calling it antitiva
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've had probably 5 AR type rifles over many decades, and always bought them when they were down in price, but sold them when the market went high. About 3 years ago when Cabelas had them for under $400 I bought my current AR15, and I rarely even shoot it. But even at 70 yrs. old, and little interest in it, I'll probably just keep this one butt my last one.
I got an email pre black Friday event notice from Sportsman's Warehouse this morning. But upon opening it I looked at hundreds of sale prices on black rifles. Every one that was reasonably to moderate priced said "Temporarily out of stock". So not sure why they're even listed? Only available versions were over $1500 price range, and even some of those were not in stock.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Used to have a P80 AR lower, but lost it in a boating accident, DANG! :cry: I do still have 2 300blk uppers, one a side charger, and a 223 Wylde upper with a 18" match barrel for critters that go bump in the night (or at least USED to). :( Still have a Mini14, though, along with a LOT of 5 rd magazines.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

piller wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:16 pm I have used AR type rifles and in the Army I used Assault Rifles. Even though I can use them, I am not real fond of them. They certainly can be accurate. I do like the fact that they can be changed from one caliber to another with ease. Mattel Toys. They just do not have that special something which draws me. They are sort of the Katharine Ross of firearms.
I think Sam Elliot called them BB guns in "We Were Soldiers"! :mrgreen:
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Years ago I bought a couple of black rifles as an insurance policy, nothing more. I set aside a couple k of rounds for each and aside from the occasional range trip to re-familiarize my wife and I with them, they sit unused and unloved. I didn't buy my fire insurance because I loved it, rather I bought it to protect my family. I consider these black rifles to be in that same category. The rifle's ability to fire a substantial number of lethal rounds downrange quickly is why I still have them.

I also have a couple of bolt actions that are slower to operate but that can keep MOA at 500 yards with a heavier bullet. Not something I need everyday, but if the day comes when I do need it, nothing else will suffice.

I also have a few lever actions that will handle everything else and will leave me smiling. They're not going anywhere either.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I sometimes swim upstream against the prevailing current, but I actually LIKE my 'black guns'....

Warm and fuzzy.... give me leverguns
Nostalgia and history.... give me leverguns
Living off-the-land and hunting.... give me leverguns

but

Fun and Loud - give me a Garand and some 30-06 ball ammo
Even more fun and loud - make it an M1A Scout Rifle
Easy for petite and young shooters to enjoy the 'fun and loud' - an AR or Mini-14
Rebellious and almost as fun (but less accurate) - an AK semiauto

and

if I really want to crank the shooting up to 'rock and roll' standards, let me borrow a friend's full-auto whatever.... :mrgreen:

As for "selling all my black guns" ..... :| the ones that survived that boating-accident in Lake Michigan I plan to spray-paint PINK, so they will be politically-correct.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Cute but won't survive the new Cali laws for the rest of you.

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Now would be a good time to sell. From what my Fellow Shooters and the local firearm emporium tell me, it is a seller's market, firearms are in demand, and new and used do not stay in the shop long.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Unless they go so crazy high that I could use the profits to add another nice single shot or lever gun, I see no reason to sell my AR15. I'd need to get at least $2k from the sale to get an antique rifle I'd want, so not there yet.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/