Homemade knife sheath.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Homemade knife sheath.

Post by piller »

I am not much good at leatherwork. About a year ago, my Wife and Son bought me a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series filet knife made by Buck. S30V steel. It was on a good discount because they had lost the sheath. Well, I am laid off right now. Finally had time to make a sheath for it. It wasn't until it was finished that I realized it was a left handed one. No kit or pattern. Everything was just freehand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Homemade knife sheath.

Post by piller »

I did put a double thickness of the leather along the seam. I have a couple of good quality sheaths where that was done. It seems to help prevent cutting the sheath up.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well that works fine, knife fits and makes it safe- what more do ya need!

I'm fair with leather, I've made a couple holsters, a bunch of sheaths and a range bag. All kinda crude but effective.

That S30V is great steel, buddy of mine got one of the early 110 folders and he literally gutted 6 deer before having to touch up the edge- including cutting the rib cages!

Sorry to hear you are laid off! Guess you are getting the honey do list accomplished! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like that a lot, both knife and sheath. I like pouch type sheaths and plan to make some when I retire from my current all consuming retirement projects :lol:
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Function before form. Looks good and sturdy.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks great piller, nice work. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

fine looking sheath!

I made this in the 7th grade in 71
20200822_173700.jpg
used it when hunting and fishing in upstate NY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that looks very fine . . . 7th grade? great school. was that a shop project?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I recently bought a commercial sewing machine to do the new upholstery in my '39 Chev coupe. Once I finished the car my plan was to sell the machine and recoup money. But I bought the machine so cheap off local Craigslist ad that I decided to just keep it. I've been doing some holster and belt repairs, and it sews leather very nicely. So I plan to build some knife sheaths for a few fixed blade knives I've either never had sheaths for, or had wrong fitting sheaths. Also a few knives I built myself, but need proper sheaths.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I think it looks great and is 100% functional. What you did is my standard MO around here.......if I can make it, I don't have to buy it.
Your sheath covers the knife and is embellished appropriately.....not to mention your ability and self satisfaction to self sustain yourself in the "needs and wants" category. No, it's not perfect but your second and successive ones will be.

As I write this my wife is on the phone laughing telling her sister about her hillbilly husband who has our bathtub held together by a bullet. Well, not exactly but close.....yesterday I had to cut a 5/8" supply line and cap it off thinking I had an end cap to solder on but I only had a 1/2" end cap.....no problem as I did have a 5/8" to 3/8" reducer so I soldered on the reducer and then soldered on a .223 case in the smaller end of the reducer.....and as they say, "tight as a drum"....the story continues.----006
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As far as function goes, it works. The knife stays put, and takes more than the weight of the knife or the sheath for it to come out. It is in there, but it comes out without any difficulty. I got to thinking, and the fact that it is a left handed sheath is not really a problem. I usually carry a folder with a flipper and a pocket clip in my right front pocket when fishing. It has a 3 inch blade and is more useful for cutting line and other minor tasks. Having the filet knife on my left side if I carry it is not a big deal.
D. Brian Casady
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Grizz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:44 pm that looks very fine . . . 7th grade? great school. was that a shop project?
yes it was....we had a great shop class. wood working, sheet metal, wrought iron work, all sorts of stuff, which they need today!

I really like that fillet knife too! I have got to start fishing again!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It looks great to me. Most people carry a filet knife in their tackle box anyway, it shouldn't be a problem.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a really nice BK-Kbar that came with a worthless plastic...Kydex?....Everytime you put it in/out it dulls a the nice razor edge I put on it. :evil: :evil:
I may try to make a new one, but I suck at arts & crafts. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

You should try it....leatherworking is a great hobby. I've been making holsters, magazine carriers, machete, hatchet and knife sheaths and all kinds of belt pouches.

This week, I have made two magazine carriers for Glock 17 mags and one magazine carrier for a Glock 19 and a small pouch for an aperture sight adjustment tool that fits on a rifle sling.

Careful though, much like handloading ammo, you will find yourself spending a lot of moolah on tools. Tandy Leather Company is where I get most of my leather and tools.

I found this video interesting...https://youtu.be/S6zF1JvBtkw Making a Ka-bar leather sheath
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

rock-steady thanks for that link, my skills with leather are not that good but I try.... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Blaine wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:55 pm I have a really nice BK-Kbar that came with a worthless plastic...Kydex?....Everytime you put it in/out it dulls a the nice razor edge I put on it. :evil: :evil:
I may try to make a new one, but I suck at arts & crafts. :roll:
Order something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Large-Sheath-441 ... B077TJ1J27
I would be surprised if you have a difficult time with it. My sheath started life as a piece of scrap leather which I bought at Hobby Lobby. I used a pencil to draw around the knife. I gave it about 3/4ths of an inch extra for the rivets. I hot glued it in place and used clothes pins to hold it until set. A drill bit made nice pilot holes for the rivets. It doesn't look professional, but I am not a professional. It works, it cost me about $5.00, and a new one from buck was about $30.00 when I last looked. Besides, looking homemade might deter casual thieves. I played with the knife last night and broiled some salmon filets. That knife took the skin and scales off like a dream. My contribution may not be much, but I am pleased with it. I took a heat gun and melted some beeswax into the sheath. It darkened a little.
D. Brian Casady
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

piller, your sheath is a lot better than my first couple of attempts.

I used the tops off a pair of old leather engineer boots to make knife sheaths. I sharpened a nail and used it as a punch for the stitches and used monofilament fishing line to sew it all up.

:oops:
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I've used parafin to stiffen and protect a leather sheath. heat the leather, liquify the wax, and paint it on or dip into it. kind of hardens the leather a bit, which I liked. worth experimenting with that.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Paraffin, since it is a wax, probably waterproofs and preserves the leather like beeswax does. I used beeswax because it is what I had on hand.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:43 pm I like that a lot, both knife and sheath. I like pouch type sheaths and plan to make some when I retire from my current all consuming retirement projects :lol:
You'll have plenty of time when you hit The Doldrums about half way to Japan :P :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Blaine wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:07 pm
Grizz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:43 pm I like that a lot, both knife and sheath. I like pouch type sheaths and plan to make some when I retire from my current all consuming retirement projects :lol:
You'll have plenty of time when you hit The Doldrums about half way to Japan :P :P
Yeah! I plan to bring a bunch of knife blanks and finish them on the way . . .