Ruined Rifle UPDATED

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Ruined Rifle UPDATED

Post by TedH »

While visiting family over the holidays a brother-in-law asked me if I could work on a rifle for him. I was presented with a single shot Rossi youth model 243. Outward appearance wasn't bad, just a little speckled rust on frame and barrel. Then I opened the action and couldn't believe my eyes. SOLID RUST. I asked him what in the world happened? He was deer hunting with it in 2018, left it in his stand while he came out of the woods for lunch, then got interrupted, never returned to his stand and forgot the rifle was out there, until deer season 2019.
I told him I'd do what I could to try and salvage it.
After some time spent with penetrating oil, bore brushes, steel wool, and elbow grease it's in surprisingly good shape except the barrel. It still looks like the inside of a 100 year old clay sewer pipe. Told BIL it's never going to shoot again, and he's just given it all over to me.
Thought about trying to find a different barrel, but didn't know how interchangeable these barrels are. Most barrels I've found cost more than the gun is worth, but I did find a cheap 17 HMR barrel that I'd try if getting it fit to the receiver wasn't going to be a big issue?

After cleaning, soaking, scrubbing, etc. I eventually got to the point that the bore resembled something with rifling. I tried a few rounds through it at 25 yards. Every one hit the target sideways.
In the search for a cheap replacement barrel any larger caliber barrels I could find were more than I wanted to pay, so bought a 22 LR youth barrel off ebay for $40. It snaped right in place and locks up solid, no fitting required. After mounting a 9x scope for accuracy testing, I tried a variety of 22LR ammo. It proved to be a very accurate, especially with CCI Minimags. Dime size groups at 25 yards.
Not needing another 22 LR, I bought a 22 WMR chamber reamer off ebay for another $40. When it arrives from the Ukraine, we'll see how the next step goes.
Last edited by TedH on Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Life Member
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruined Rifle

Post by 2ndovc »

You never know, a new barrel may just snap right in. I did that with an H&R. Their website said that new barrels had to be "fitted" to an action. The .22 Hornet barrel that I came across at a show locked up tight and was really accurate.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rimmed cartridges headspace simply so a new barrel in a rimmed cartridge might be easy.

Also....I'd be tempted to fire some abrasive-coated bullets and see if the bore could be somewhat resrored; our ancestors killed far more game than most of us will, using 'inferior' barrels, rifling, metallurgy, and cartridges... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

How's the chamber? Rebore to .308?

Might not be worth it.
Slow is just slow.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The bore is far, far beyond any restoration being possible. It was so rusted you couldn't see daylight through it. Thought about reboring but isn't worth the cost.
NRA Life Member
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

You can clean out the rust, but you can't fix the pitting. I agree having someone rebore the rifle wouldn't be worth the cost. You might get lucky with fit if you could find a barrel.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I don't think a rimfire barrel will work with the centerfire receiver. I think they are two different sizes and the firing pin placement is different.

I see Rossi barrels on GunBroker regularly for $70 or so.

You could also get a shotgun barrel. I'm no expert but I think all 12 gauge shotgun barrels work on the centerfire receivers. 20 & 410 barrels could be for one receiver size or the other.

One last option might be to send it someone to either bore out to 260 Rem (6.5-08) or sleeved in 243. Probably it would be close in cost to value of the rifle.

Wm.

P.S. I regularly do a GunBroker search for Rossi barrels …… I have a youth model rimfire combo of 20 gauge and 22lr. I'd like to find a 410 and a second 22lr to rechamber to 22mag. I will forward to you via PM any barrels I find for the center fire frame.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

From the looks of the 17HMR barrel I found, it appears to have the chamber bored below centerline, so a center fire firing pin will strike in the correct place on the rimfire round. They offer switch barrel combos with center fire, and rimfire barrels from the factory.
NRA Life Member
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

There might be another possibility …… but I can't believe it would be inexpensive. You could have a gunsmith take the barrel and cut it off and bore out the chamber enough so that another barrel could be set inside the Rossi shank. This would only make fiscal sense to me if you wanted some rifle chambered in a exotic cartridge.

I recall Ken Waters did this with a H&R 410. He had a gunsmith use the shank portion to turn a 32 caliber barrel blank into a barrel to mate to a 410 shotgun receiver to create a 'rook rifle' chambered in 32 S&W long.

Wm
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

TedH wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:24 pm From the looks of the 17HMR barrel I found, it appears to have the chamber bored below centerline, so a center fire firing pin will strike in the correct place on the rimfire round. They offer switch barrel combos with center fire, and rimfire barrels from the factory.

Like I said I am not an expert. I just recently started to look into making a useful purse out of the sows ear combo I have. Please keep me informed as to how this project develops.

Wm
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I had never seen one of these rifles before now either. Im only messing with it for the chance to get into a usable truck gun for cheap. I'll post update if I end up trying something.
NRA Life Member
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Possible option:

JES Rebore. Jesse does great work and, by gunsmith standards, is quite fast. I've had two barrels bored out by him, one a break action H&R, and was very pleased. 358 Winchester would be a logical choice of the chamber itself isn't very terrible.

http://35caliber.com/8.html
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

He doesn't want to spend $250 (minimum) on a $175 rifle.

Screw a breech plug in it for 209 primers and use it in ML season. :lol: Don't even bother cleaning it anymore
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have to ask the obvious. How does one forget a rifle for a year in the woods?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am I have to ask the obvious. How does one forget a rifle for a year in the woods?
Lots of after hunt alcohol...

Reading Wm's post tells me barrels might be interchangeable, ala Contender. I'd call Rossi and ask...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 am I have to ask the obvious. How does one forget a rifle for a year in the woods?
I asked him that. He just shrugged his shoulders. He's not a gun guy, or even a hunter. Frankly knowing him, I wasn't terribly surprised by it. :roll:
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Plug up both ends after filling with that foaming bore cleaner stuff.....Follow up with a wire brush chucked into a drill. Repeat with foam and brush. :roll: Shoot a box of ammo thru it.....return to owner. I doubt if he will notice that it shoots 5 inch groups at 50 yards.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

If your up to it you could check out the price of a liner ,drill it out and epoxy the liner in in a caliber like 357 or 44wcf.
Then rent a reamer and finish ream it by hand.
People here have done that.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Have you shot it yet? I have a 38-40 and a 25-35 rifles that look similar to sewer pipe like you describe and both shoot pretty good, you never know it might surprise you.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

EdinCT wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:13 pm If your up to it you could check out the price of a liner ,drill it out and epoxy the liner in in a caliber like 357 or 44wcf.
Then rent a reamer and finish ream it by hand.
People here have done that.
Would likely have to rework the bolt face and extractor to go to either of those cartridges from a .243 caliber rim size.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I would not put much time or money into it. Get a new barrel or two if you want. Trash the original. Most importantly, don't let that man borrow anything of your's.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ted, your BIL is incredibly lucky some kid didn't find the rifle in the woods... :shock:
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:45 pm Ted, your BIL is incredibly lucky some kid didn't find the rifle in the woods... :shock:
I don't know... Some lucky kid might have been able to salvage it and take better care of it! :lol:
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tactical Lever »

Sounds like maybe a wall hanger, or maybe can be hogged out enough to take a .410 and at least be useable in a pinch. If you can't do it yourself, the gunsmithing will probably cost more than the gun's worth?

As another poster mentioned, a barrel sleeve may work? I was thinking one of the long cartridge adapters.

Not sure what's involved with fitting a barrel. Probably be easier to remove material rather than add. Probably mostly around the pin/hinge on the barrel?
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruined Rifle UPDATED

Post by TedH »

Updated in original post.
NRA Life Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Pleased to hear you got it shooting again, I still look real close at any deer stand I see just in case... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Woodtroll
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Woodtroll »

I'm thinking that the .22 WMR bore is usually a couple thousandths bigger than the .22 LR bore. Might still work, though. Glad you got it shooting again!
Running the ridges and rivers of Virginia's southern Appalachians
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

My little brother (well he is now in his 40s) left his .243 Remington rifle uncleaned for several years. Yes rusted barrel. I also cleaned it very well but it still looked like some WW1 'dark' bore rifle!

Oh well.