Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: We Feel Blessed To Live Where We Do

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Steve I'm in NJ (not by choice) but where I live is in the sticks and other than having to wear a mask most everything is open , be it curbside pickup or actually going into a store is up to the individual. Was at Lowes yesterday, very busy, then local general store, curbside only . This morning I hit the auto parts store. Everywhere you go they have plexiglas or clear vinyl curtains to stop direct contact. It's a hassle certainly. Everyone I have spoken with is tired of being home. I myself kept working through all of this, being a carpenter I'm deemed essential personal. I feel for those friends of yours as east of here is much worse off.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Boy...I'll say......except for sanctioned matches at the gun club, mine and my wife's lives have not changed....... ..got enough land and things to do here to stay busy......always have some kind of a project going on.......even a little 50, 100, and 142 yard gun range to shoot on as long as the velocity is kept below the speed of sound ....neighbors only hear a "poof, poof" from my giant shoot through silencer.

My son, who lives down the street from you tells me the main road going to Denver is dead and he likes it driving to the U.P Depot to work as before this covid stuff hit, it was like the freeways in California. Says he's been using his motorcycle again for work because before, they'd run ya off the road.

It must be tough to be in a condo or other close living if your the type to be used to being on-the-go. Could you imagine having 5 kids in an apartment and depending on public transportation?----6
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My main problem where I live is the Squirrels must be self isolating . Got bored the other day and shot a wee mouse with a CCI .22 mini mag.... :oops:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For many thousands of years, there have been a few different 'models' of human society.

Tribes
Feudalism
Large nation-states
Grassroots 'guerilla' organization
Constitutional Republics
Democracies
Religious Zealot Mobocracies

And the most fundamental differences are always whether or not the citizen, or the government, is the sovereign entity.

And THAT depends on WHO IS ARMED, and with what.

So, even though our 'leverguns' site seems mostly a site dealing with quaint, cute, fun, types of firearms mostly used for hunting and for historic collectors, the REALITY is that the more ordinary dudes, rednecks, sots, peasants, or whatever term is used, are ARMED and thus on an equal footing with the hoity-toity self-anointed 'elite', whether by birth, or by nobility, the better for society overall, and for freedom, and or safety, and for stability.

Each and every day we all should THANK GOD that we are among the free.

It seems so easy, and something most of use take for granted, but we must not do that.

What for most of us is just a hobby, a way to put food on the table, or a 'sport', is FAR MORE THAN THAT - it is representative of the very fine cutting edge between totalitarian despotism and a freedom-oriented Constitutional Republic.

We need to cherish, and foster, and promote our 'gun freedoms', not just so we can go target shooting, deer hunting, or collect historically-signiicant artifacts . . . . . we need to do it so the world has at least one nation that understands FREEDOM - the ultimate 'human right'...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, Steve, your fellow Coloradons, have apparently chosen to ignore any "Stay home" order... as Since I left TX on the 29th of Apr, drove to the OR and now sitting in Kansas City, nowhere was there more traffic, than in Denver and its' environs. I spent almost two days driving around delivering cabinets and everywhere I went there was traffic backed up. However, I will admit there seemed to be less stress angst associated with most of it. There was that odd speednut that just HAD to pass everyone... I suspect a recent immigrant from NY!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:20 pm My main problem where I live is the Squirrels must be self isolating . Got bored the other day and shot a wee mouse with a CCI .22 mini mag.... :oops:
You're supposed to use shorts with solid bullets on those. The mags ruin too much meat.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I haven't figured out why you shot a mouse while it was weeing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:03 am I haven't figured out why you shot a mouse while it was weeing.
I thought he was boasting.... :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

claybob86 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:42 pm
gamekeeper wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:20 pm My main problem where I live is the Squirrels must be self isolating . Got bored the other day and shot a wee mouse with a CCI .22 mini mag.... :oops:
You're supposed to use shorts with solid bullets on those. The mags ruin too much meat.
Yes I completely ruined a good trophy.... :oops:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
WRT Denver traffic;
A look at a map of Colorado HIGHWAYS SHOULD GIVE YOU A HINT.

The wall of mountains to the west limits and constricts traffic that way.
I 25 is the ONLY north south highway of any consequence east of the mountains AND population centers have built up on I 25.
Denver and Colorado Springs have become traffic bottle necks and there is little to be done about that except to avoid driving in and around Denver.

BTW, I love the mountains of Colorado and have vacationed there since a kid (fishing) , but too many liberals have moved there over the decades and that has reduced the allure of the mountains.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Charles

"but too many liberals have moved there over the decades and that has reduced the allure of the mountains."

Bingo, that's why I moved to WY 40 years ago. My niece (lives in Conn) says I should be fine in WY as it is the only state where "social distancing" is a way of life. :wink: Nothing much has really changed for me although I do miss Saturday breakfast with a few friends. Things are starting to open up here but I'm still staying away from crowds as I always have. Also going to learn to cut my own hair; I look like Albert Einstein and Bigfoot had a love connection.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Agreed on Houston.
IBM offered me a job in Houston when I graduated UT; good pay with a good company in a humid city that I did not like.

Fortunately, I got a better offer from the GRC in Richardson back when that part of the Dallas area was not over crowded and all went well.
Now we live in Farmersville a bit north of Griff. Still horse country and close enough to the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex when needed. However, I have had to locate ways to bypass DFW when going hunting and to locate other hunting areas that avoid huge cities. Once west of DFW, there is room to wander.

Mike,Glad to see you are still cranking along. Still shooting prairie dogs with your 1895 .405 WCF?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Charles
Yup still kicking, just not as high as I used to :mrgreen: I'm enjoying my retirement flying my plane more than shooting but I did buy a couple new ones last year and plan on working with them. I still shoot the 405 occasionally but haven't used on p-dogs since the time NE450 was up here.

COSteve
Oh yes, the 470. I lived in Golden back in the late 60s and 70s. We used to go out there and shoot, launch model rockets, and visit the old Bandimere drag strip on a Saturday. Nothing out there back then but jack rabbits and hogbacks. A few years back I was visiting a friend in Lakewood and was heading south so went to Golden to snoop around and took the 470 to 25 south. While driving through there I about cried. I get the same feeling when I drive through south Jackson hole where it used to be hay fields and is now filled with krappy expensive houses. I don't ever want to drive either again. Comes a point, you get old enough you don't want to see that stuff anymore, rather remember the way it was.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I agree, progress is inevitable. But progress and population do not necessarily go hand in hand. In my lifetime, the population of the planet has TRIPLED; 2.5 billion to 7.5 billion. A virus isn't going to end humanity; it will come from the fact that there are those (usually in the most resource fragile areas) that can't keep their pants zipped.