"Dual Height" Cheek Rest for Scoped/Unscoped Long Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"Dual Height" Cheek Rest for Scoped/Unscoped Long Guns

Post by Old No7 »

This unique "Dual Height" cheek rest might be very helpful for those who shoot rifles or slug shotguns with/without a scope based on conditions or the game.

I'm finalizing all the work needed on the pre-war German Drilling I bought at a low price (as it had a split stock, a deep gouge in the buttstock and firing pin indicator pins that didn't work). I've fixed the split stock and completed the action work, and as I get closer to sighting it in I've realized it has more drop than I want/like, plus it also has claw mounts for a high-mounted scope which makes getting a good cheek weld next to impossible.

I think I've stumbled onto an excellent solution -- a "dual height" cheek rest called the "Accu-Riser Molded Cheek Rest" which has a hard nylon base onto which a 5/8" or a 1" tall rubber cheek pad (insert) can be easily added. I got it from eBay.

As I will plan to shoot some trap with the left barrel of the Drilling the lower insert will work well for that, or for when I use it without the scope:
( Click on any image to enlarge )

German Drilling (12) (Medium).jpg
(You can also see I added one of those small rubber bumpers to the rear of the trigger guard, as I do on all my double-trigger side-by-sides; they do help if a large number of rounds are fired in one outing.)

And for those times I'll hunt with it with a 1.5 - 6X German Hensoldt-Wetzlar scope attached, the taller 1" insert will be used:
(The lower insert is in the bottom of the image for comparison)

German Drilling (13) (Medium).jpg

I've completed fitting a .22 Mag barrel 9" barrel insert (an "Einstecklauf" made by Krieghoff) into the right shotgun chamber/bore and it has been function-fired just fine, so now I can sight-in the scope to the lower 8x57JRS barrel (at 75 or 100 yards) and then adjust the 22 Mag Einstecklauf to match the scope at 50 yards. (That's the current plan anyway.)

This is a view of the open breech -- those 3 loads are very versatile and will handle anything I could encounter in the fall woods of Maine:

Krieghoff 16-22WMR (5) (Medium).jpg

The cheek rest comes with a Velcro strap and double-sided tape for semi-permanent installation, but it also allows 2 screws from the top (under the inserts) to be used for permanent mounting. I'll plan to do that as the fit of the base to the buttstock's curves is perfect, and I need the ability to use both rubber inserts, plus the base itself hides a deep ugly gouge on the other side of the stock (which was another reason why I got the gun for less than market price).

Tight groups!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: "Dual Height" Cheek Rest for Scoped/Unscoped Long Guns

Post by gamekeeper »

Looks like a good solution for your all-rounder.....when are you going to send me all the guns you don't need anymore? . . . :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:49 pm Looks like a good solution for your all-rounder.....when are you going to send me all the guns you don't need anymore? . . . :D
They're here waiting for you John -- you need to pick 'em up in person.

From 6 feet away, of course... :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That triple-barrel setup looks like the ultimate true hunter's firearm...!

Keep us posted... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is just an incredibly cool set-up! 8) 8) 8)