Range Day with the 480 Achilles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Range Day with the 480 Achilles

Post by JimT »

I took the 480 Achilles to the range today. I wanted to try some of John Killebrew's new bullet in it.
IMG_0577.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
LEFT is the original Bittner Bullet ..... RIGHT is the Killebrew Bullet

I did not use a pistol rest ... should have as I am sure the groups would be better. I shot these targets while sitting at a table, resting my left elbow on the table.
IMG_0795.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0799.JPG
I believe I am gonna have to take this bullet hunting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range Day with the 480 Achilles

Post by GunnyMack »

Not a thing wrong with that Jim ! I do believe that setup is ready to make meat !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oh! Those are good groups Jim. Those 2 little grease grooves wouldn't hold enough for black powder.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:44 pm Oh! Those are good groups Jim. Those 2 little grease grooves wouldn't hold enough for black powder.
'the Black Powder bullet is this one by Huffaker ..
Huffaker Bullets.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Always love hearing about this cartridge and project. Just plain fun!

Eric
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Now that's a black powder bullet!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pretty decent groups. Certainly good enough for hunting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

yooper2 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:48 pm Always love hearing about this cartridge and project. Just plain fun!

Eric
+1

Ready for the jackalopes Jim.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Nath wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:14 am Ready for the jackalopes Jim.
Unfortunately they are still in hibernation in this part of Texas. Otherwise I would be out calling and stalking!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Mister! You don’t want that old thing. Heck ya can’t even get bullets for it anymore. You seem like a nice guy sooo tell ya what I’m gonna do for ya. Just cause I like ya I will let you swindle me out of lightly used Glock in 9mm for that old thing you’re shooting. EVERYBODY KNOWS ya gotta have a semi-auto not them old cowboy guns, AND EVERYBODY KNOWS ya GOTTA have a Glock. So send me that old thing and I will HELP YOU OUT. BUDDY!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:55 am Hey Mister! You don’t want that old thing. Heck ya can’t even get bullets for it anymore. You seem like a nice guy sooo tell ya what I’m gonna do for ya. Just cause I like ya I will let you swindle me out of lightly used Glock in 9mm for that old thing you’re shooting. EVERYBODY KNOWS ya gotta have a semi-auto not them old cowboy guns, AND EVERYBODY KNOWS ya GOTTA have a Glock. So send me that old thing and I will HELP YOU OUT. BUDDY!
That's what I like about this place. Everyone is so kind and generous, watching out for old fanny burbs like myself who need help.
I will pack it up and send it right away.
As soon as I get the check for $11,000.95 to cover shipping, handling and whatnot.
Thank you!
I really appreciate it.
What..JPG
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Haha! Glad you took it as intended. I really like watching this project play out. Thanks for the updates.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good thing those Jackalopes are still in hibernation. Mean critters. Why, they ran all the Grizzly bears and Sabre Tooth Tigers completely out of Texas. Hunting Jackalopes is best left to the professionals and those like Jim with the skills to not try to run away when one attacks. It has been suggested to use nothing less than a 300 grain bullet on them if you do not want a wounded one chewing your leg off.
D. Brian Casady
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Have you thought about a large frame Colt or S&W double action frame to put this in?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:31 pm Have you thought about a large frame Colt or S&W double action frame to put this in?
No. But I am sure it would work just fine.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

JimT, did this cartridge have an actual purpose that was not more commonly available or was it just a lark?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Man those holes are BIG...!
Old Savage wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:09 pmJimT, did this cartridge have an actual purpose that was not more commonly available or was it just a lark?
Jim's original post on the history...

https://www.leverguns.com/480/480_achilles.htm

An article on the cartridge on the LASC website...

Los Angeles Silhouette Club - 480 Achilles

....guess who the FAMOUS author is.... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:30 pm Now that's a black powder bullet!
Agreed!

What a great gun! :mrgreen: 8) :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So AJ, into the red wine now, is there a capsulised yes or no to this without the research?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Without reading it, was there s purpose to achieve?

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

.... I think it was "just for the heck of it..." :wink:

To quote from the original write-up on leverguns:

"The .45 Colt at the case mouth measures .480". Would it be possible to come up with a heeled bullet of .475" to fit into a .45 Colt case for use in a sixgun fitted with a .475" barrel and a bored-through cylinder? (The cylinder would have no chamber "step") If so, a sixgun of Colt SAA dimensions could be used as a base gun since the SAA is already available in the .45 Colt case.
First and foremost, there exists no need for this caliber. Other than being unique it is totally without merit. Thus our motto:

Undaunted by common sense

Second, the idea was (in my mind at least) to create a modern version of the 476 Eley. A heavy big-bore bullet at low velocity.

Third, we wanted to do this in a way that was as simple as possible.
"
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darn it, Jim, you know how the Achilles project appeals to the weak and senseless minds here, especially mine! :lol:
Wonder if there is a smith out there who might build a few of us some of these fine sixguns at a rate affordable to near-indigent gun cranks.
I'd love such an outstanding excuse to send $20 to Bryan Pettet or Paul Moreland ... 8)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:18 am Darn it, Jim, you know how the Achilles project appeals to the weak and senseless minds here, especially mine! :lol:
Wonder if there is a smith out there who might build a few of us some of these fine sixguns at a rate affordable to near-indigent gun cranks.
I'd love such an outstanding excuse to send $20 to Bryan Pettet or Paul Moreland ... 8)
Gary Reeder has the chambering reamers. And the barrels.
You would have to ask him the cost as mine was done quite a few years ago.
I don't have contact info for Bryan anymore. But you know how to get in touch with Paul! :)

I like the Killebrew Bullet. It shows real accuracy potential. My next test will push it around 1000 fps. That's a top-end load. I want to see how it does. Somewhere in the not to distant future I need to whack a deer and a hog with it.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hmmmm. Ruger New Model Vaquero? Should work with the 480 Achilles, yes?

It is shorter than the Ruger cartridge, but would a Lee crimp die for the .480 Ruger work? The diameter might not be right. Just wondering, or maybe my mind is wandering. It sounds fun, and no there is no need for anything like it in my limited experience. I have a .480 Ruger, and can pop the 325 to 410 grain bullets out of it at modest velocity with plenty of accuracy. Need stopped being a factor in the equation a long time ago. Fun is more reason for anything new currently.
D. Brian Casady
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:32 am Hmmmm. Ruger New Model Vaquero? Should work with the 480 Achilles, yes?

It is shorter than the Ruger cartridge, but would a Lee crimp die for the .480 Ruger work?
If the Lee die is a "collet" type die, it might work. Probably not since we are talking about a cartridge based on the .45 Colt.
Since the bullet is the same diameter as the cartridge, a standard "crimp" type die will not work. The Achilles needs a crimp die that comes in from the sides. The old ones looked sort of like a pair of pliers.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I think that shooting this resolver was about the most fun I've ever had with a sixgun. About the time I've put it out of my mind someone goes and posts something, reminding me it's not out of my mind but rather placed carelessly in the back recesses gathering dust. Funny how the Undaunted By Common Sense project resonated with so many of us, and still does over the years. How much does the Killebrew bullet weigh?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the info. Now I see what the project is about ;-)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:31 am
piller wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:32 am Hmmmm. Ruger New Model Vaquero? Should work with the 480 Achilles, yes?

It is shorter than the Ruger cartridge, but would a Lee crimp die for the .480 Ruger work?
If the Lee die is a "collet" type die, it might work. Probably not since we are talking about a cartridge based on the .45 Colt.
Since the bullet is the same diameter as the cartridge, a standard "crimp" type die will not work. The Achilles needs a crimp die that comes in from the sides. The old ones looked sort of like a pair of pliers.
Get hold of Lee and they will make you a custom COLLET 'factory crimp' die for under $50.

The 'pistol' Factory Crimp dies are different, so you need their 'rifle' type Factory Crimp dies, that are a sectioned COLLET versus a floating carbide ring.

From a previous Leverguns Post - https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... 88#p513019 - note that RanchDog may no longer distribute them, but I had put in a plug for him. He got them to do a big run of 'rifle' type FCD's for 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt.

They will crimp 'below' the bullet like you need, and do it well.

The "real" FCD (see below) is one I'm fond of, and it is offered by LeePrecision.com in most "rifle" cartridges.

The "fake" FCD (see below) they sell for "pistol" cartridges doesn't have the septated fingers that are squeezed by the die, instead having a 'floating' carbide ring that certainly crimps the case, but more akin to a regular 'roll' crimp. Personally, I don't care for them.

Lee WILL make you a "real" FCD for about any cartridge for $30 - http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Custom-Services.html.

I'd been going to get around to having ones made for .45 Colt and .357 Mag for awhile, and had figured out how to use a .44-40 (Lee considers that a "rifle" cartridge) FCD die for .44 Mag.

RanchDog Molds now has some "real" ('Rifle' type) Lee FCD's for those calibers - AND .41 Mag, and .308 Marlin Express, & .338 Marlin Express, actually. Evidently he was smart enough to get around to it faster than me, and ordered a bunch (he's selling them for only $20 apiece, and hopefully making at least a bit of profit on them).

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.p ... Path=53_54

"Rifle" type FCD :D - Image - "Pistol" type FCD :| - Image

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AmBraCol wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 am How much does the Killebrew bullet weigh?
It weighs right at 280 grains.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

By the time I got around to ordering my mould the mountain molds guy would not do it. He adamantly refused to do any more narrow, shallow grease grooves.

The accurate molds guy designed me a mold similar to the bitter's design.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail. ... 290H-D.png

The latest killabrew design seems to be an improvement on mine.

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail. ... 290I-D.png

As for the crimp die, I bought a 45-70 f.c.d. as per the article but the belt mountain guy who was to modify it never returned my email(s).
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Ray wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:56 pm
As for the crimp die, I bought a 45-70 f.c.d. as per the article but the belt mountain guy who was to modify it never returned my email(s).
That's because the leverguns article is 16 years old and his email address is now

beltmtn@montana.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ray, I am really liking that 290I from Tom at Accurate.
Jim, Jim, amigo, why did you have to post range day results? :lol:
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

That's some nice shooting. Wish I could shoot handguns that well.