Locked-down in Texas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Locked-down in Texas

Post by JimT »

We are under orders to shelter at home and not go out unless it is absolutely necessary. The parks are closed with yellow tape around the playground equipment. Drinking fountains are covered in plastic. Signs telling people to stay home are around them.

But this is Texas. There are wonderful little places along the river if you know the back roads. Near us there is an old cattle crossing used when the Chisholm Trail came through here. Yesterday it was in the 80's and the crossing was THE PLACE to be! People fishing, kids swimming, guys sitting in the shade with a cold beer, picnic baskets ... everyone enjoying the time off. If you can't go to work, make the best of it, right?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Locked-down in Texas

Post by .45colt »

That's the Spirit !! We have a sunny day today about 50*, and the artic wind from Canada finally quit blowing off of Lake Erie . the Grandkids are all coming over after lunch and We are going back to the creek and build a fire and they can run around like lunatics.......and I can have Fun Too !! :lol: ....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The county here just announced that all non-essential businesses were to close. First confirmed case of COVID-19 found yesterday in our county.
Oh well, I'm going out to the bard and load a BUNCH more ammo. Why do I keep these components if I don't load them? Okay, 5,000 primers seems less unbalanced than 5000 45 Colts!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice and warm in North Central Texas right now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

JimT wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 am We are under orders to shelter at home and not go out unless it is absolutely necessary. The parks are closed with yellow tape around the playground equipment. Drinking fountains are covered in plastic. Signs telling people to stay home are around them.

But this is Texas. There are wonderful little places along the river if you know the back roads. Near us there is an old cattle crossing used when the Chisholm Trail came through here. Yesterday it was in the 80's and the crossing was THE PLACE to be! People fishing, kids swimming, guys sitting in the shade with a cold beer, picnic baskets ... everyone enjoying the time off. If you can't go to work, make the best of it, right?
Rather defeats the "shelter in place" and "avoid gathering in crowds" concerns of the public health emergency.

I hope those folks had great fun potentially extending the quarantine period.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am having to carry some things to show that I am going to and from work. I guess it is supposedly for the public good. I am still looking for more actual scientific knowledge. Skepticism is not always bad. I am looking for good scientific evidence. I see some, and a whole lot of News Spewing smoke.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Hello Jim !! do You have, or are there any links to that "cattle crossing " I sure am interested now. Never know , Woodrow F. Call could have been there..... 8) .
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

We just had the first sunny day since we got back from Florida 3/21. We're staying away from family, etc for two weeks because of our travel plus at least 1/2 the grand kids have normal flu/colds and we don't need that. Doing minimal grocery shopping, but we were gone for 7 weeks so we had nothing fresh and minimal other on hand.

So yesterday we decided to walk a bike/walking trail that goes through our subdivision. Tons of folks walking the dogs and whole families out walking together. Rarely see that. But everyone was giving each other space, staying away from benches and playgrounds. Seems like it has sunk in here.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

First few days of lock down freeways were extremely slow out here. Traffic is picking up. Folks are just ignoring the "order".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I still have to get my customers back in their homes after fires and floods, but I get my supplies early in the morning and tell my customers that I'm not being rude but I have pre-existing conditions that put me at a higher risk. Facetime calls and inspections when no one is home or on site. One of our suppliers has set up a little drive through. You yell out the window what you want and they bring it out and load it in the truck. Pretty cool. I'll be buying more there in the future. My boss has yelled at me twice for being in the office because he knows about my issues, but I have a high grade respirator and a box of latex gloves. All I need is a Dearth Vader helmet! :D
Stay safe everyone!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I support what your saying jim T. Enjoy what you can . And personally I dont believe in the governments power to shut down an economy for a flu that worse case is still 3x less likely to kill you than obesity and heart disease. they want to waste trillions of tax payers money , spend that money figuring why 1 in 2 folks getting cancer and so many darn kids dying. If they wanted to stop the world for that this year , last year or 10 years ago, I'd be right with them. The real flu in USA is at 5 million cases and 10,000 deaths this year. Cancer is at 100,000 deaths this year so far including kids. Politcians battening down the hatches and bankrupting the world over this flu with its small ticket numbers worries me a great deal.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve kinda been thinking about doing some fly fishing this spring . I used to fly fish for native trout four or five days a week after work . But I’ve not been in over ten years ! I was looking at a couple of my split cane rods and Hardy reels today :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

mickbr wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:03 pm I support what your saying jim T. Enjoy what you can . And personally I dont believe in the governments power to shut down an economy for a flu that worse case is still 3x less likely to kill you than obesity and heart disease. they want to waste trillions of tax payers money , spend that money figuring why 1 in 2 folks getting cancer and so many darn kids dying. If they wanted to stop the world for that this year , last year or 10 years ago, I'd be right with them. The real flu in USA is at 5 million cases and 10,000 deaths this year. Cancer is at 100,000 deaths this year so far including kids. Politcians battening down the hatches and bankrupting the world over this flu with its small ticket numbers worries me a great deal.
CDC estimates that, from October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been: 38,000,000 – 54,000,000 flu illnesses and 23,000 – 59,000 flu deaths
with 390,000 – 710,000 flu hospitalizations and 17,000,000 – 25,000,000 flu medical visits.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/pr ... imates.htm