The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I don't qualify for special hours, but I never left my property all weekend. Got all I need right there.
Kinda wish they'd shut down work, but I doubt they will.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Seems like the stores around here have special hours too. I wonder if they are cleaning the stores before hand? The local supermarket has senior hours from 0730-0830.

Snow?! Yup the ground is covered here this morning. Going to turn to rain later.

Yesterday afternoon I cleaned my smooth bore fowling pieces, re arranged the safe. I use those Rifle Rods, my Ruger carbine kept falling to the side- solution I cut an old aluminum arrow shaft and hot glued it to the velcro end of the rifle rod. Now my carbine stands up straight!

Coffee time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, still laughing at the cleverly worded phrases comment.

I have classified one group as phrase thinkers. Give them a phrase and that's all they think.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Wel working from home again this week AND SIX’s tax dollars being put to good use our computers are down.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So you are playing solitaire then ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey...hey...there...help out a senior citizen!!! NOW you youngsters know what my life is like....get up.....noonish.....take 2 hours to get started.....bs on board....play with rocks....maybe cut grass or other brainless job..............eat.....go to bed........gets boring I tell you...

Everyday I'm amazed that I'm actually a "senior citizen".....at least in numbers.....

Whew! Got to open the door........RAIN GUNNY....solid rain.......it's a muddy mess out there........

As my real mother used to tell me, "idle time is the devil's workshop" , so I better get started.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Every bad word you have ever heard or said !!!
Claro is limping today!!!!! Dont know what she did but I really dont need her screwing up $4000.00 worth of surgery!!!!! :x
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good luck with her. Hope it is just nothing worse than soreness.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I tell ya Gunny........oh.....wait.....first....JAY WON page 63 so he wins a model 63 Winchester from someone, it's not me, but I'll post a picture of one.

I'll start a new game for each page won...and you all may post specific numbered guns and donations if you so wish...just PM your address so I can send a UPS man for pickup and delivery to me..........wish I could have started earlier as I have a lot of numbers for each page.....for'instance, a # 1 Smith and Wesson.22 short....so let's start with the last page, page 62. I won that so I'll keep my like new model 62 Winchesters made in 1940.

Jay wins page 63 but he will have to get one like this...a pre war 4 digit carbine made in ''33?...I think...it was sent back to the factory in the late fifties to have the scope rail milled into the receiver and a factory refinish.

Now...onto Gunny...YOU WIN the coveted prize of "Best Dog Owner" in conjunction with "The American Who Is Most Likely To Keep Veterinarians In Business" award. For your unrelenting and dedicated quest with astronomical energy and finances to further the animal world I award you a picture of Jay's grandfather who was the nation's procurer of Vitamin A. WELL DONE!!!! And now, let's have a clap for Gunny!!!!---6

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

During our government mandated "lockdown" it's not easy, especially for nuts like me who have adult ADHD ....to sit still. So......you either drink yourself into a semi coma in order to cope or you read.....I LOVE to read anything interesting......

Someone else here posted this a while back and I saved it...LOTS of excellent reading here. Reading the old books and other literature on guns was pretty much my "educater".

https://gunsmagazine.com/wp-content/upl ... /G0658.pdf
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! Helllloooooo!
My posts aren't showing up in this thread! WTH?

There. I figured since I won the page, I had been banished. :D
Whew! That was scarier than virus.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Umm Jay see the top of the page. Then see the one above this one- see those are your posts.... or you aren't hitting the SUBMIT button
Thanks Piller, I'm kinda hoping it's from this low barometric pressure rainy cruddy weather.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes, I know. I posted twice in between. Hit submit, saw the post, but when I leave and come back it was gone.
No biggie. Seems ok now.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well then that is odd !! (of course I was being a wise acre before)

Just got a call from my neighbor buddy, he and his wife were in Florida last week. Had a scheduled return flight for sunday they decided to rent a car and drive home- cant say I blame them !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. We have had some family friends drive back from Florida in the last week or so.
Flying? No way!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sooooo.........me and mom sitting here watching the greatest President who ever served talk on TV.......now it looks like that after two weeks more, we are going to have to put people back to work as according to President Trump, "the cure may be worse than the disease itself."

Makes a lot of sense so I'm explaining to mom that the people now have the education on how to be around others and hopefully the virus will not spread as easily......a second later, THATS what the president said.....Mom says, "ya know, maybe you ought to be up there with those people instead of here...so why don't you explain to me how we are going to get perishables like bread, milk, butter and eggs." I said, "EASY, the geese are outback laying eggs and we only need about four a day and there must be 20 nests out there and because goose eggs are huge we will only need 2 a day.......as far as bread I told here to get out the flour and yeast and bake your bread.....as for milk, my wife comes from a dairy farm so I told her to call her sister up and see if they still have the cow milkers and I have compressed air to make them run and the only thing we have to do is to get the milkers and hook them up to you..(very well endowed).....and we will have milk and from the milk we can make butter.....make sense?---6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

How'd that go over?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Beginning a long postponed reloading project. First up ... 45 Colt. Now to seek the American Select equivalent of 7.1 grs of Green Dot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:09 pm Beginning a long postponed reloading project. First up ... 45 Colt. Now to seek the American Select equivalent of 7.1 grs of Green Dot.
Fred,
I'm not familiar with American Select. but familiar with Green Dot.......so......I looked at the burn rate chart and those two are near identical so a hypothesis would be go ahead and use the same charge beings that it is on the lower end of pressure. I have here a box of original 45 L. Colt made by the Frankford Arsenal in 1906. (I think 1906) and the load is stamped in ink on the side...250gr lead with 6 grains of Bullseye....... It's very hard to beat that load and is one I've used for many years in the 38-40...44-40...44 Spl/Mag , 45 ACP and the big Colt with their respective standard bullet weights....which brings up your load...Green Dot is slightly slower than Bullseye and its a good guess your 7.1 load will yield the same velocity along with American Select.

Out of about any rifle in any of the above calibers that load will chrono around 1050 and in handguns 8-850.

Oh well....another day gone by.......which reminds me.....do you know why time goes so fast in Italy? Because every time you tuned around you see another dago. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is all right on. Including what others have found and my chrono results. We think alike on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Geeze Fred...you sure save a lot of targets......that group looks like an inch......I can't see good enough to shoot those kind of groups anymore. Sometimes I do but it's just dumb luck. I believe I only shot my old model forty five one time as it's like new but it did shoot a tiny group.....about twenty or more years ago.

Well....twelve thirty...think I'll go lay down and maybe go to bed in an hour.........can't get my iPad to write numbers......anyway, twelve hours out of bed and twelve in. Tough being retired........six o da bro wit da fro wit hoe by da doe.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

WTH!? Take the girls out, feed them, take a dem, pour a coffee & flip on the tv... Sound but no picture! Channels change, no pics on other channels. Guess I'm SOL this morning...

I've never used green dot. Blue & Red dots certainly. I recently got about 2#s of Red free, plan to try it in the 41 with cast if and when the world comes back to normal. That load you have - stick with it!

You got it six, live off the land! One thing I don't really need is milk, haven't had a drop in 20 years. I'm not lactose intolerant but allergic! Though I do keep powdered milk in the house, some bread recipes call for it. Yes I make bread!

Well gotta fill the stove and get my act together.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Gotta be kidding me!
We got over a foot of snow last night. Oh well. Shove down some breakfast and go crank up the snowblower. :(
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We didnt have a foot of snow if you added up our whole winter!! Enjoy it !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 amWe didnt have a foot of snow if you added up our whole winter!! Enjoy it !
I don't think we've had a foot of snow if you added up the last 30 winters!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, I think that is the only group I shot with that one. And you might notice that was a long time ago as were the other good pistol groups ;-). Lots of targets, I like a frame of reference on these guns.

Sometimes it is wise not to take a second shot and here is one from a New Frontier.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ha! Yep.....6 grains of "Fred Dot shoots like 6 grains of Bullseye.....And I can't believe I near gave away 100 lbs of red, blue, green, dot, 50 bmg powder some years ago for $2 a pound.

FOOT OF SNOW!!! Here we have recorded the second lowest snow accumulation since records began ......only a trace amount.

F 'ing electronics! I hate them! Pay $500 for a digital camera and it takes a chit two year later...no repair......pay a grand for a tv, get 5 years out of it and then that takes a chit too. Buy a nice gun or a tool of some sort and you get a lifetime of use out of it...and then sell it..............................
Gunny....I know your not on a budget but if you lived closer I'd give ya my 42" LG.....works great....now you got to run out and spend a grand or two on a new TV and probably catch some nasty disease either from the salesman or what's in the box the TV came in.

Oh! Save the box the new TV comes in!!!!!!!!!! Jay says up in Maine they use them as cribs for the babies.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Recently got one pound each of Unique and 231 @ $15/lb. and have most of a lb of Am Sel. Only looking for about 850 fps out of those big bullets. American Select is apparently about like Green Dot which of course is just slightly slower than Red Dot. I have read that Green is s slower lot of Red.

All totalled good for 1000s of loads of what I am doing. I load the 41 Mag waaay down to the same levels.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good one Six.......and probably true. :D

I can't remember using any of the "dot" powders but I have them. Just a little of each, but they are in the old cardboard cans.......been around awhile.
I've never used Bullseye either. I buy Unique by the 8lb can, however.
If I was a better reloader, I would probably experiment more. I try and consolidate powders as much as possible.
That really was good shooting OS.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey! Where did everybody go? ......did da Dark Man pay visits to yo home town?......

Gunny?....Jay Bird?, ....Thomas?.....Griffy pooh?......good ole Old Savage?......me?......piller????.....woody?......Joe?.....Jeff?.....
Turtledude?.......

We'll.......a fresh story about Jay Bird.......when I was a teenager there was this little store which was one of the first in a now huge chain called WaWa at the corner of Rt 1 and 202....just about any night there was this old black guy who used to sit outside and play music with a whole mess of license plates......he would be banging them around to any tune you wanted.....this guy was good.....must have been in his eighties back in the 1960's......

Ok....dats enough...on to business---5
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So we tore off some more siding yesterday.
20200324_120536_copy_800x600.jpg
This building is post and beam construction. Each mortise & tenon joint is numbered with Roman numerals. What we found explains a few things!
20200324_121149_copy_800x600.jpg
this beam is above the 2nd floor but it is a vital piece that ties the left wall to the right. Is rotten through under both windows! Water leaking over the past 200 years. Explains why the house is settling towards the middle. Also found old sign of powder post beetles- NOT the ones from liverpool!

Claro was still limping yesterday afternoon, called the vet that did the surgery, just got home from the check up. Took xrays, the implants are where they should be, no infection. So another 7 day course of anti inflammatory and wait and see. Boy am I relieved that she didnt tear the screws loose!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I couldn't log on yesterday. I don't know what was going on.
Anyway, have had a bad cough due to this respiratory infection. Nothing serious, but it now hurts to cough.

Too many panicked sheeple coming in at work wanting to fill their prescriptions early, and wanting 6 months at once. I have learned some new cuss words. Telling these people that you are under orders from the State to not do more than 3 months for any reason will cause them to just lose their minds. How dare you refuse them. The News Spews out the truth that they will die unless they stockpile everything. :shock:
D. Brian Casady
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, a little software corruption in the middle of making a post... hit submit and then the page came up that I needed to be logged in to post... then when I tried to log back in... nothing... just some lines of code up at the top of the screen. Refreshed the screen, and then the page came back, with those same lines of code at the top, but not logged in... finally gave up.

Note, David sez to expect a software upgrade.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Piller.....I feel for you guys in the medical field......I couldn't handle the stress of demanding sheeple......as an old union Teamster I'd probably reach over the counter and grab em by the throat and give em a whack of some sort........my wife had a doctor's appointment today and the office called yesterday to say everything is closed down and it had to be on "telehealth" so my wife asked me how to do it and I told her that unless it had bolts, screws and a owner's manual to explain how it's done to forget me for any help......ZERO confidence in computers ...I have this mental block with anything I can't see or touch..........so today we found out my iPad isn't up to date but her phone worked great...my wife did it all....she had her "appointment" and meds are on the way........

And your doing it all, even with the sniffles......still maintaining your professional composure? :D

That's interesting Gunny........a job that detailed is so far over my head it's in outer space......HOW do you replace a major beam with so much weight on it?.......

I've noticed something in the last 20 years......many of the old old old houses with the main material of wood are falling apart beyond repair........pretty much the same in the cities with the old wood row houses built before the war and the latter part of the Industrial Revolution along with company houses for the employees......

Well.......back on line...great to see the wonders of 2+2 carb cleaner.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well in this case the repair is a bandaid, all we are doing is tying the left to the right with standard framing. Why because that's all the owners want to do.
To repair it back to 100% would be a tremendous undertaking entailing building new temporary walls, from basement to attic, possibly stripping the orignal slate roof off( lots of weight ) then interior plaster off walls & ceilings. Then cut out all the rotten framing and then rebuild. Heck we cant get 3 days of sun in a row - no way we could expose the whole side of the house for weeks! Only saving grace is the huge chimney right smack dab in the middle of the house!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Stress is that condition when the brain overrides the body's natural inclination to smack the stuff out of some jerk who desperately needs it. Anyone who works retail, or even shops in the same store as the jerks will have stress. Just understand that we are all trying to get through this, and don't push on everyone else is the way to go. Six seems to have his head on straight. He doesn't let anyone mess with him, but he does not go out of his way to start something.

Too many people right now are demanding that everyone else take care of them or give in to any little demand that they have. A very un-civil war might happen soon because of all this. At some point, it will be the straw that broke the camel's back.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup Piller you are correct! The decade I was at the lumberyard took its toll on me! Sure I was the foreman so a lot was on my shoulders but I didnt need my workload and the work of 3 other people. Boss wouldnt hire me any help, thanks to the Odumbo administration destroying the economy! I would up a question mark from stress. After about a month I finally threw in the towel. Of course being threatened with physical violence was just the icing on an otherwise cowpie cake!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Aaannnnd.......we're back!
Man! That was tough. This is the only social life I have.

Hey Six.
We don't have WaWa(?) here. And.....I can't play license plates. Although, I probably have several relatives who can make them. :D

Gunny,
Your "rot woes" remind me. Down by the river in town are a lot of the big old original houses from when the town was starting up. Many are close with not much land.
These flatlanders showed up a few years ago and bought one. They absolutely fell in love with it.....but not the location. They hired a team of carpenters, engineers, and draftsmen. They systematically took this huge place apart, made intricate drawings, numbered every board, beam, and window. Then they took it to Texas and reassembled the whole thing.
Can't imagine being that crazy and having that much money.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I’ve been out and about over the last 5 days, drove over 1000 miles and never left Montana. Looking at some mountain properties. Got another pile of guns to refinish, hydro dipping and cero coating work.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Harry, that sounds enjoyable.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Although I haven't been a part of a building move I've seen a few that were jacked up and put on trailers. None were moved half way across the country though ! The Jack's are something called unified jacks, as each begins to pressurize against the load they pause until all are loaded then they lift together. It's a ballet of knobs and dials. All with vegetable oil.

Hydro dipping eh ? Cerro coating eh ? Sounds interesting!

1 does of anti inflammatories and Claro is putting her leg down more! Sure hope this works!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Man...you guys are having fun...I want to hear more about Harry's cero coating. Jay...stop bs....you don't have any relatives who make license plates......maybe a few in Rikers Island or Colorado's Super Max but no local big house.

On a different note......even though I have plenty to stay busy and entertained with right here at home, me and mom were getting the heebie-jeebies so we loaded up the dogs and went for a ride.....a nice easy sight seeing ride where you drive 35 in a 35 mph zone...you get it...............virtually no one on the road......pull out of the driveway with no cars in sight and within 5 seconds some azzhole in a pick up truck is one car length behind me......I turn, he goes straight....3 seconds later a Volvo in on my azz.....I turn another one on and on. ...aggravating .......where is everyone racing to? Ahhh, maybe I'm old, dunno.

We cruise by Costco and no waiting line. :D On to CVS to get meds....get meds by drive thru and tell the lady to keep the change..... : :wink: ....past Home Depot...gas stations..no lines...encouraging......

Come home, relaxed......turn on news...seems like half the world is dead. Trump said he's expecting a lot of suicides....what the hell has happened to our culture? No dang wonder I stay at home 99% of the time.---6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Stress free day for me, loaded 200 rounds of 45 Colt, 200gr RFN w/6.0 grains of RedDot, WLP primers...
I might fit a couple more rounds in that can, the middle one needs about 100 45ACP, and the one on the left may be ½ full. Need to fix that, but I like keeping my competition mags in there with ammo. Took a nap, then watched the son spray around the house for insect control, he'll do the workshop/reloading room tomorrow, and then we start the mowing! Yehaw, another summer of mowing! At least this year we got the majority of the trees on the fencelines taken down and lack that interference.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Griff...
You do keep things simple.......all of your ammo starts with a 4 and ends in a 5.

Ain't it neat looking at a pile of loaded ammo all shiny? As a kid I used to take my box of 30-30's and dump them out, spread them around on the bed and then box em up and do it all over again a week later.....yellow box of W.W.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Cera coated AR lower I did for my son.
Trump 2024

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Receiver looks great Harry!

Gunny,
We have a friend that moved houses for years. He was a master and developed a lot of his own methods. Used old Deuce and halfs. He moved a building made of cement blocks a mile up the main drag here in town. Never pit a crack in it.

Hey Six,
You mean you don't believe me haha? No, I don't think we got anybody in the can. Been some that were very good at staying out of there though. :D
Not me, however. I was good boy. :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A Henry rifle we had cerakoted for a friend’s 11! Year old daughter.
7BD45C05-6214-48B5-98E5-4B6867E23E0A.jpeg
BB28144F-E92A-41B3-B4CF-B9C9D8DBB864.jpeg
1E75AA72-BA79-4A0F-9D78-90A4A3CF8BA9.jpeg
Jack it is a spray on baked on coating that contains a percentage of ceramic particles. Pretty tough
This was my Dad’s 45 Inhad done after he died.
C7798B75-179A-43C6-B865-DC1F20866D01.jpeg
F459D0D2-035A-490E-AFA2-6A3912934981.jpeg
Harry, remind me what part of Montana you are from?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I’m over by Sidney
Trump 2024

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You mean WAAAAy over there by North Dakota. Hel is that even still Montana? :roll: I grew up on the western side of the state.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

I lived in Cut Bank for a loooooong time
The oil boom brought me to Sidney
Trump 2024