Going to the clinic this morning.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Going to the clinic this morning.

Post by piller »

My allergies have been making me cough all week. Post Nasal Drip. Woke up soaked in sweat this morning and stuff I am coughing up turned green overnight. Most likely just a minor Upper Respiratory Infection, but with all that is happening now with the CoViD-19 mess, I probably should go and get it checked out. Normally I would take guaifenesin and dextromethorphan and drink lots of hot liquids. 3 days and back to all is well. Probably not the PC option right now.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Going to the clinic this morning.

Post by crs »

Good luck with it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Doctor offices here are telling patients not to come in if they have any symptoms that might look like corona virus. I asked my doctor's PA how someone gets treatment for non corona illness if they have to stay home? She told me that they give people a phone contact to the health authority and they come to the person's house to test them first. Then once the results return they can schedule with their regular doctor to be taken care of.
Sounds like it wont be easy for those with respiratory non corona to get helped here.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hope all works out piller.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
shiloh505
Levergunner

Post by shiloh505 »

Good luck, don't delay.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just got back. Bacterial respiratory infection. Z-Pak and cough syrup. At least the diagnosis is what I thought and not something worse. Take the medicine, drink lots of hot liquids, and don't cough on anyone.

Thanks for the support. It is truly appreciated.
D. Brian Casady
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Good. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Most EXCELLENT piller! I'm still sloggin' thru whatever this stuff I have is... can't see the Dr. Waiting on call back from VA. Have another week's worth of cigars... til then I'll be fine!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea....we all have to make our health a top priority in times of peril or we are worthless to the ones around us who depend on us.

Be thankful you have the knowledge to care for yourself.

I'm starting to get paranoid and losing civility.........a buddy called last night and said, "hey, what ya doing Saturday?" I told him, "not hanging out with you and your not coming over here."

Sometimes it's not good to watch too much news, especially Hannity.----6
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hmm a few days ago there was 0.000000195% of the population infected with Covid. I suspect by now it might almost be 0.0000001951%. Consider this when worrying about having Covid 19.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Add some organic, non-filtered apple cider vinegar to the lots of water I know you're drinking....Great stuff to kill germs and keep your gut healthy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Glad to hear you aren't now infected! Chartreuse snot for me is always sinus or upper respiratory infection.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've had an exhausting week:

Normal work - 75 hr weeks
Coronavirus stuff - tons of extra calls, panic, and requests to 'diagnose by telephone'
Business stuff - landlord emailed me Tuesday evening and said I had to 'vacate the premises by the end of the week' due to owing back-rent (I've not taken a paycheck for months, and after paying payroll, taxes, insurance, and utilities, pay what we can, but my Nurse Practitioner was stricken ill a few months ago, and no matter how many patients I see, I can't even meet overhead alone).

So I have a few hours to catch up on sleep before back to the office all weekend to review test results, formulate treatment plans (not just corona but all the normal stuff), and all the other non-reimbursed stuff we do (due to the government/insurance cartel, the only thing doctors get paid for is 'face-to-face' encounters, so that's why they make you come in for 'every little thing').

In between catch-up sleep, I'll try to post more details as I've researched and found them, but in the interim, there are a few things I think ARE legitimate and safe....(as always, "contact your OWN healthcare provider, who is familiar with YOUR particular situation, before acting on any 'internet advice'....")

Elderberry ELIXIR (alcohol extract of berry/stem) - likely helps CV, but better for prophylaxis and 'mild' symptoms - can have negative effect if severe.

Licorice (medical) - proven to inhibit SARS form of CV a few years ago, but can cause dangerous elevation of BP, so needs used with monitoring. May be best once known-exposure happens or with symptoms known from CV that are mild.

Zinc - best absorbed as lozenge, but if the lozenge tastes nasty, you may absorb it in the cheaper 'oral' form well enough, or not even be deficient. A good zinc level is VITAL for the hydroxycholroquine to work, if you are prescribed that. (Don't take hydroxychloroquine without EKG baseline and medical advice).

Vitamin D - D3 is over the counter, and few people would be harmed with a daily dose of 5,000 units daily for a month or so.

Vitamin C - also over the counter, and few people (ask YOUR physician) would be harmed with a daily dose of a couple thousand milligrams.

Many other considerations out there, but these are the ones I see in the medical literature that seem most appropriate for prevention and/or mild enough symptoms that you don't even need seen.

If diagnosed, I'd ask your physician about these things:

1. hydroxychloroquine (it really has demonstrated anti-CV activity with the SARS strain of CV)
2. low-dose naltrexone (to inhibit the inflammatory mediators that screw up lung function)
3. nebulized iodine like SSKI (used in the 'old days' as an anti-viral for viral pneumonia)

I don't know the perspective of the 'intensivists' and pulmonologists now, other than they are likely frantically trying to plug holes in the dyke. When in panic-mode, we stick with what is already-known, 'safe', and easy, so that may be to stick with stuff that 'usually works a little bit' instead of stuff that 'might work a lot but nobody is sure'. I get that, but some are willing to do BOTH. It never hurts to ask....

Actually - - - - - that is all I really know to post. I do have 'journal references' which I can post, if you want to share them with your physicians. However, either a) they are interested and already reading the same stuff I am, and trying to figure the best thing to help patients, or b) they are 'employees', and just "doing their job" and following some 'safe' protocol approved by the legal team and insurance companies....in the latter case, nothing you suggest or show them would change anything. :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

All the best piller.

The hay fever down here is horrendous.

Mark
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

SSKI is still available, but no one carries it. No sales of it so no shelf space for it. Mix it with liquid guaifenesin such as plain robitussin and it is the best mucus solvent ever found. It used to be available that way as a commercial product until the FDA wanted money for proof of effectiveness and allowed to stay on the market. Cost for that was too much and it died. When mixed 1 to 2 SSKI to guaifenesin it will break up congestion like an industrial wood chipper on a bunch of half inch twigs. Be sure to have something to spit in handy as the mucus is coming out at ludicrous speed. It might go plaid. (Wink to Spaceballs there)
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad you ain't got "The 19" buddy.
Get well soon.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

What do we have on this thing- a quisinart?!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pollen is already pretty darn thick down here. Car is yellow. Street is yellow. Everything outside is yellow. Hard not to rub one's eyes given all this.

Hope you are okay!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what is SSKI?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry you're not feeling well.
Glad it ain't "The 19".
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 pmwhat is SSKI?
Potassium iodide can be conveniently prepared as a saturated solution, abbreviated SSKI.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:58 pmPollen is already pretty darn thick down here. Car is yellow. Street is yellow. Everything outside is yellow....
Duhhh....it's the CHINESE virus.....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Blaine wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:31 pm
Grizz wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 pmwhat is SSKI?
Potassium iodide can be conveniently prepared as a saturated solution, abbreviated SSKI.
Not too hard to make at home if you have the ingredients. The ingredients are legal to purchase from chemical supply companies. The trick is to cool it very slowly and do not disturb it as it cools. When at room temperature it is pretty stable, but until then it will crystalize out of solution if bumped or if dust gets into the solution. It has one funny use that most of us will hopefully never need. It pulls radiation out of mammals. The Iodine is more reactive to radiation than is human tissue. In the event of nuclear war, it can save your life from the fallout if you do not happen to be caught in the blast.

If you get the recipe wrong and accidentally make potassium tri-iodide, it makes for a fun low power pressure sensitive explosive. There were some people in the dorm wondering why so many firecrackers were going off for a while and no evidence was found.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Blaine wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:07 pm Add some organic, non-filtered apple cider vinegar to the lots of water I know you're drinking....Great stuff to kill germs and keep your gut healthy.
I drink “ Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with Mutha” before every meal already . Supposedly it helps my diabetic condition . I also read recently as you say it helps with possible throat germs .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Piller, bro, did we cook up a batch or two in our dorm room? :lol: :lol: :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Fun days.
D. Brian Casady
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:58 pmPollen is already pretty darn thick down here. Car is yellow. Street is yellow. Everything outside is yellow....
Duhhh....it's the CHINESE virus.....!
:lol: :lol: :lol: