Anyone Cancelled Work or Personal Air Travel Yet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone Cancelled Work or Personal Air Travel Yet?

Post by Old No7 »

My workplace just came out today and cancelled all trade shows and air travel.

And my 2 brothers who aren't retired, their workplaces have also done the same.

Everyone else staying at home???

Well, maybe Gun Shows would be OK............. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone Cancelled Work or Personal Air Travel Yet?

Post by 765x53 »

Yes. Three years ago. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I retired at 61--68 now-- And the last time I got on a airliner I got the flu/pnumonia so bad I nearly died..... If I'm ever forced to fly again, I'll spring for first class away from the petri dish of common folk.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My employer just came out and told us to avoid travel. :roll: They said if we go someplace where there are active cases of Corona Virus that we must use vacation time to self quarantine. If it happens when we are home and during normal daily activities, it will be company paid. What if I get sent to a store in a location where it is active?

So far Texas is still pretty low risk. I am not convinced that it is any worse than the Flu that I am still seeing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

We don't go anywhere except for what is absolutely necessary and when we do, we are very cautious...in and out and dunk ourselves with alcohol. With the exception of getting gas, a quick stop at the gunshop and picking up 3 tons of stone I haven't been anywhere in about a long week and that was to Costco before they were getting mobbed.

Nope....no gunshows or shooting matches...I'm done until this stuff goes away. I've even bunking the National Levergun Silhouette Championship if this continues and I'm paid up.

Got plenty to keep me busy and entertained right here.-----6

I dont even want anyone to come over here...go away!

Until we know more about this we are isolating ourselves. Read a lot of stories on the 1918 Spanish flu and the ones who had no problems were the ones who kept to themselves.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Colorado College shut down today. Kids have to be off campus by midnight tomorrow.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm wondering if the Wanamacher Tulsa Arms Show will go on as scheduled in 3 weeks? Anyone planning to attend in spite of the COVID19?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

A busy gun show in late winter? I'd have to toss a coin and think on it. I used to go to antique shows and flea markets this time of year, and long before corona came along it occurred to me that the crowded conditions, literally bumping into people, and the muffled or unmuffled coughs made it a perfect storm for respiratory disease transmission.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Jay "Commie" Inslee has taken the matter out of our hands....groups of 250 or more are now forbidden in three counties of western Washington. :roll: I suppose that bastage will have one of his STASI counting heads at the local WallWorld. :roll:
Last edited by Blaine on Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The cleaning / mitigation side of our company has been getting a lot of calls from large facilities to come in and spray anti-microbial and clean walls and surfaces. Pretty crazy stuff. On the local news this morning, every other story was about this stupid thing.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Yep, was supposed to be in Chicago today through Friday. Convention canceled. Still driving from NC to Indiana Sunday for a Monday meeting, only supposed to be 5 of though.

FP
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I work in the healthcare so it's not slowing down.

Daughter #1 is in Ecuador serving peace core and so far, she's staying put for now. No major outbreaks down there yet and not expected.

Daughter #2 is in Australia on study abroad program is questionable if she's coming back home. Her school in Vermont (St. Mikes College) is shutting it's doors till end of the month. On-line courses will start next week. All spring sports is canceled.

Daughter #3 is back home for spring break from University of Vermont. She got word today from the university not to come back until further notice. On-line courses will start next Tuesday. Spring sports are canceled and all conferences have been postpone until further notice.

Other than that, everything is fine and dandy! :)

Mainehunter
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ha.....even more work than usual for us; LOTS of phone calls cuz everyone with a sniffle has to be calmed down...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

My son and I were planning to attend the NRA Annual and visit all the levergun makers' booths. I bet that won't be on.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Business as usual for us.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm retired, so it's not an issue for me. I stay home and avoid crowds anyway, even before this. But last night our illustrious governor Brown issued a ban on any gatherings over 250 people! Sounds like a knee jerk reaction since Oregon has only 3 reported cases, and no deaths?
I wonder how this ban will affect things like churches with more than 250 members? Or various other organizations that have over 250 people together at one time? Maybe have to split up meetings into under 250 people at a time? And will that somehow make it safer if they don't deep clean the room prior to the next group?
Much of this hysteria seems to border on craziness.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If we throw out the anomaly of that Nursing Home (Long Term Care Facility for about half of all the deaths so far) the math just does not work out for Covid-19 to be as dangerous as we are being told. At least, not here in the U.S.
D. Brian Casady
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Throw out half and you have about 20 dead in over 1700 confirmed cases. That's still 1%, or 10 times that of the typical flu, and do keep in mind that the flu tends to kill the elderly as well, so tossing out those nursing home cases isn't entirely fair.

It won't be known for over a year how many people are actually infected, but the 1% is surely high due to the shortage of testing kits used to confirm cases.

Also note China's infection rate is 10 times that of the US so far, and they used draconian measures to slow it. Italy's infection rate is currently 50 times that of the US. This is only the tip of the iceberg here in the US.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

my wife works for the public school system and after today, all employees has been ordered to stay home from work the rest of the month.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My trip to the Philippines is in the can now ! Plan on changing it to September if they’ll let me change the tickets . I’m still planning on driving down to the Southern in late April but that could change as well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Tossing out the cases from the Nursing Home is only because of it being a captive population.
D. Brian Casady
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Steve...your lifestyle pretty much mirrors mine. It all came pretty easy for us and that's been our m.o.for quite some time.

My son, who lives right by you in Littleton, on Coal Mine Drive tells me the dilemma you guys are dealing with.---6u
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My son said this morning that 2 Bombardier employees making those military drones in Red Oak have tested positive for Corona Virus.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm If we throw out the anomaly of that Nursing Home (Long Term Care Facility for about half of all the deaths so far) the math just does not work out for Covid-19 to be as dangerous as we are being told. At least, not here in the U.S.
The REAL point is that Orange Man bad....whatever it takes to get him out of office is the goal, even if it means destroying the economy, letting people die, or whatever. Remember -the Dumbascrap 'Progresssssssssssssssssssives' are morally superior, so the Ends Justify the Means...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

was going to our place in bozeman saturday for spring break , to visit our daughter there BUT although i am lean and strong - i am 72 + and i have a severe primary [ genetic ] immune deficiency and have had several very close calls [ sepsis] .... so my wife is going and i am going to our place on the lake far from here and tinkering with guns and cooking for myself.... i have still been working full time [ 11-13 hr days ] but am starting half time soon and prefer not to die before i get to enjoy some free time :D
cable
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I haven't yet, but I have a planned couple of days on the River Walk in San Antonio the first of April, I'm thinking of foregoing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Wife and I stopped at the big grocery store on the way home last night to pick up some things we were low on. First thing was trying to find a parking space. The huge lot had every space filled, and we finally caught someone leaving and got their spot. Then we went in the store and found one shopping cart left! Began walking the aisles full of people with semi empty carts, and looking at empty shelves!!
It seems the fear factor the media and government has pushed at us is working. People have decided they may not be able to leave their homes and are stocking up for Armageddon now! We got maybe half the items we had on our list. One thing that seemed to be plenty of is soda pop? Beer, and wine was depleted, but we don't drink soda pop, or wine, and only occasional beer, so didn't need any of those. Soup aisle looked like someone went in and simply scraped the shelves clean!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

For those who are under educated in the medical field, like me, it makes lots of sense to stock up, hoard, whatever.

When this first hit the fan, even the experts did not know how easily this disease was transferred, telling us "go about your lives and wash your hands". Yea, that worked for Italy didn't it?

If I don't know a lot about something, I think, "survival for me and mine"....your on your own......I went to Costco two weeks ago and added a thousand dollars worth of non perishables to what I already had........which was a full pantry, fridge,and freezer full of meats, and 10 big cases of MRE's.......also filled up the Jeeps and 50 gallons of gas annd diesel extra in the garage.

I learned long ago that even in the best of times, people will stab you in the back to better themselves.

As my best friend who was a lifer in the Marine Corps told me, "It's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.---6
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Decided to forgo a May trip to Brisbane, Australia. 3 months ago, when this virus thing was barely getting noticed, my flights to/from Australia would take me through Japan and Singapore airports. I had the thought that those airports would be hotbeds of potential/probable infection, so I decided not to go. And now, 3 months later, I realize I made the right decision.

Locally here in SoCal, two prison ministry weekends have now been cancelled in the past two days. The Kali prison system "head shed" has shut down all visiting by anyone and everyone, for who knows how long.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Here in Britain panic buying is causing problems and all soccer matches have been postponed, Shirley and I were going to see her grand daughter in a dance show this afternoon but have decided 300 people in a concert hall for 2 hours is a risk not worth taking. The UK government has suggested that over 70 year olds should stay home and self isolate even if healthy... I don't like to submit to panic and hype but I do want to avoid crowds.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:00 pm
piller wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm If we throw out the anomaly of that Nursing Home (Long Term Care Facility for about half of all the deaths so far) the math just does not work out for Covid-19 to be as dangerous as we are being told. At least, not here in the U.S.
The REAL point is that Orange Man bad....whatever it takes to get him out of office is the goal, even if it means destroying the economy, letting people die, or whatever. Remember -the Dumbascrap 'Progresssssssssssssssssssives' are morally superior, so the Ends Justify the Means...
Medicare for all, see this proves that everyone should be covered in a emergency like this. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'll be at Death's Doorstep before I go sit in a waiting room for half day (if I'm lucky) with about 150 sneezing, coughing, drooling people waiting on a bottle of cough syrup and Tylenol.... :shock: :o :evil:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Blaine wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:11 pm I'll be at Death's Doorstep before I go sit in a waiting room for half day (if I'm lucky) with about 150 sneezing, coughing, drooling people waiting on a bottle of cough syrup and Tylenol.... :shock: :o :evil:
You’re a wise man.
#STFHome
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sorry, late to the game here. I got home from an industry association meeting on 3/5, and on 3/6 the trade shows starting cancelling. Continued all the next week, with association meetings and customers cancelling meetings on top of it. By the end of the week my employer had banned air travel for the remainder of the month. The following week it was all travel, and mandatory work from home except those who could not (plant operations, those running labs/doing critical experiments, etc.). The latter didn't impact me as I have worked from a VO, "virtual office" - i.e. - "home", for a quarter century now. But Y2K's college sent all the students home 3/17, and my daughter's high school went to "e-learning" 3/16. Everyone is home and safe, though the kids are going stir-crazy.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

we had our hours cut in half today. only 20 hours a week till further notice. We qualify for partial unemplyment.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

When our governor(ette) we affectionately refer to as "poison ivey" on account of the new onerous petrol tax levy.....pronounced an official state of emergency my agency sent home 23 "nonessential" employees with pay.

But the remaining four of us with e.p.a. certifications have to man the lab at least 20 hours per day 365 days the year. Since we're on paid leave, that means 10 to 12 hours of time and a half overtime every day we work.
m.A.g.a. !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 am I'm wondering if the Wanamacher Tulsa Arms Show will go on as scheduled in 3 weeks? Anyone planning to attend in spite of the COVID19?
I heard it was closed about the same day the NRA Annual show was going to be closed in Nashville.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rusty wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:06 pm
M. M. Wright wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:46 am I'm wondering if the Wanamacher Tulsa Arms Show will go on as scheduled in 3 weeks? Anyone planning to attend in spite of the COVID19?
I heard it was closed about the same day the NRA Annual show was going to be closed in Nashville.
Heard the same thing. :(
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Fisher-Price wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:42 pm Yep, was supposed to be in Chicago today through Friday. Convention canceled. Still driving from NC to Indiana Sunday for a Monday meeting, only supposed to be 5 of though.

FP
More people shot and killed in Chicago so far this month than the virus has killed in the state.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Update1 JUST GOT LAID OFF TILL FURTHER NOTICE, GOOD THING THEY JUST PASSED STIMULUS WHERE WE GET FULL WEEKS PAY IN UNEPLOYMENT PLUS THE $1200.00 PER PERSON STIMULUS CHECK.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I decided to take a couple of weeks off, actually more like 11 working days, as that is how much vacation I had. Our company is considered essential, since we are a construction company that supports many other industries. I was going to try to stick it out for a little while longer, but we had a couple of close calls, and several people have been sent home on quarantine just to be safe, as they had come into contact with people that were positive or showing symptoms for Corvid-19.

The way I look at it, I have hopefully dodged a couple of bullets already. I am lucky, as I can afford to take off and may continue to do so, and more or less practice social distancing at home on my farm, except for the occasional trip for groceries and mail/pay a couple of bills every month. I may continue to ride this thing out for weeks or months, if it takes it. My wife and I are in a higher risk group then some, so I am taking it serious. I don't want to end up on a darned ventilator if at all possible.

I am not really hurting but this is a little eye opener for me, as far as groceries go. I have enough to get by for a while, but kind of wish I had been a little more of a prepper
then I have been in the stockpiling of non perishables. But far from desperate, anyway. And If I got really low, I could butcher one of my cows if I had to, but to be honest, I would probably shoot a deer or two first, as it's a pretty big job butchering a cow anyway. But I don't see either choice being necessary, unless this was really stretched out for several months. I got lots of work to do at home and I need to shed some weight anyway. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron