Henry 22 cal rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Henry 22 cal rifles

Post by Goat »

What do you know about these good and bad?
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

I have the large loop Henry .22 carbine, and flat love it. It does have a plastic barrel band: I don't care. It is the smoothest "stock" lever gun I have had out of the box. All parts made in America, great customer service, and they are very reasonable cost wise. I think you'll be hearing from some others on this...Hagler?
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

jazman wrote:I have the large loop Henry .22 carbine, and flat love it. It does have a plastic barrel band: I don't care. It is the smoothest "stock" lever gun I have had out of the box. All parts made in America, great customer service, and they are very reasonable cost wise. I think you'll be hearing from some others on this...Hagler?
+1 Got my son a Henry large loop .22 some years back, and it is just wonderful! :D
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

I have been summoned! :D :!:

Goat, I love mine. I have one just like jazman has. I have had it since late 2003. I would love to shoot it more, but I managed to achieve more than 5,500 rounds through my Henry. ZERO problems, too.

What you need to know:

(1) The rimfire Henry leverguns have aluminum alloy recievers, with steel guts. The balance of the metal is all steel.

(2) The front sight is part of the front barrel band. They, and the rear barrel band, are plastic, on the round-barreled rimfire leverguns. Metal replacements cost around $20.00, if want them.

(3) Henry uses WALNUT wood on their wood-stocked guns.

(4) ALL Henry rifles are made in the U.S.A.. Their factory was in Brooklyn. They have moved, at least some of their manufacturing, to New Jersey.

(5) Henry's customer service is A-#1! The president of the company often answers e-mail, and frequently answers the phone, himself. Lately, many enquiring customers have been treated to freebies, ranging from caps & mugs, new forestocks, receiver covers, and metal barrel bands.

I do not regret buying my Henry. My Henry ALWAYS shoots exactly where I point it. ...unfortunately for me, I need more rangetime.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
sw41mag
Levergunner

Post by sw41mag »

I just got a Henry Frontier with the 20" octagon barrel and the buckhorn sites a few weeks ago. I like it a lot better than the regular Henry and it is quite accurate and function has been flawless. I am thinking I might need one in .22 WMR as well.
When I fed the poor I was called a Saint. When I asked why the poor were hungry, I was called a communist.
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I bought one for my Dad. He loves it:
http://www.gunblast.com/CoyoteRifle.htm
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hagler wrote: (2) The front sight is part of the front barrel band. They, and the rear barrel band, are plastic, on the round-barreled rimfire leverguns. Metal replacements cost around $20.00, if want them.
Shawn - can you order those metal replacements from Henry directly?
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I bought one recently and I'm absolutely smitten! The walnut is beautiful,the action is butter smooth,it eats shorts,longs and long rifles and has yet to bobble a round. Carries and balances nicely. I probably will spring for the steel replacement bbl.band/site but even that has not been a big deal.
The gun shop just got some in and I'm eyeing the .22 mag version now. :)
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

YK,

Yes. Here is the information from their site:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/parts.cfm

"Replacement parts are available directly through the factory. Parts should be purchased by calling the factory directly at 718-499-5600 Monday to Friday 9AM to 5PM eastern time. Payment can be made by credit card (Visa, Mastercard or American Express). If you do not have a credit card, we will give you the part numbers, total charges and you can mail us an order with a check or money order.
We recommend that you have the serial number of the gun handy when calling us to order parts.
"

...although the parts in question are not shown on that page. Here is more Henry contact info:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/contact.cfm

"Henry Repeating Arms Company
110 8th Street Brooklyn, New York 11215

Telephone: 718-499-5600
Facsimile: 718-768-8056
"

They have changed their e-mail contact procedure, to one that includes a pop-up window. I believe their e-mail address is:

info@henryrepeating.com

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Thanks Shawn! :D
docjemez
Levergunner

Added bonus!

Post by docjemez »

At the suggestion of Tycer (THANKS!!!) I tried using the Aguila Super Colibri ammo in my Henry out in the back yard. It is just like a pellet rifle in its report. Just the sound of the 20 grain projectile striking the metal trap (got a Rimfire trap from MidwayUSA). My boys and I treat ourselves to a box or two of shooting .22s about every weekend even when we can't get out of town to go to the range. The backyard is closer, the Henry is a joy to shoot and the neighbors aren't disturbed in the least. For the record we have the regular Henry lever action .22. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Doc
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:lol: Tycer is everywhere!

I have to say that while I can't bring myself to love them, the Henry .22s have a wonderful reputation for reliability.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had one of original models made by Erma in Germany. It was a smooth and accurate rifle and never let me down, I wish I had kept it. :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

I have the same Model Henry H001T and love it. Will be taking it out to the range in a few hours. Just got off the phone with Henry about getting different sights for it and their Hooded front sight doesn't fit it so I'll have to go after market.

The guy on the phone stated that cleaning is easy, run a bore brush and patches through it and Q-tip the inside and you should be good. I'm happy with my Henry.

Heber
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

wildmanh wrote:I have the same Model Henry H001T and love it. Will be taking it out to the range in a few hours. Just got off the phone with Henry about getting different sights for it and their Hooded front sight doesn't fit it so I'll have to go after market.

Heber
Do you have a link or more info on the after market front sights for the H001?
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

66GTO wrote:
wildmanh wrote:I have the same Model Henry H001T and love it. Will be taking it out to the range in a few hours. Just got off the phone with Henry about getting different sights for it and their Hooded front sight doesn't fit it so I'll have to go after market.

Heber
Do you have a link or more info on the after market front sights for the H001?
Unfortunantly I don't. All I was able to get from Henry was that the H001T uses a different cut for the front sight then the H001. I wanted a hooded front sight like the H001 has but oh well. Got back from the range 2 hours ago and didn't have a problem with the H001T's sights so I might just leave it be.

Heber
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gentlemen,

The front sights on the "T" model are doveteiled, like those on all Henry octagon-barreled models. The round-barreled rifles have a sight/ barrel band combination that is held on by a single screw. See here:

I produced this tutorial to show how the front sights interchange among the modern Henry H001, and its older relatives, the Erma/ Ithaca 72/ Iver Johnson Wagonmaster:

http://onesticky.levergunscommunity.com ... thaca.html

Shawn
ImageImage
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

Thanks guys or all your responses!!! I feel that I am somehow incomplete as a rifleman without at least one 22 caliber lever gun. I believe that I have a Henry somewhere in my near future.
Goat
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

I sure like mine. Never had to make any adjustments out of the box

MUTT
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

All these reports and nothin but praise. I suppose I should add my two cents. Bingo. What a great gun. I have a Golden Boy and love it. Nothing but good. As an added note, my brother has a Big Boy and that is also a keeper. It ain't as pretty as my Winchester, but that is another post.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I have a hoo1 which i swapped out the plastic parts with metal replacements...

BTW I loves mine...it ain't fer sale.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Y'know, when I was shopping 'round fer my .45 I got showed the henry .22 lever. I decided that if I ever got in the market for a .22, that's the one i'd get. Seems like I had that called about right.

So how many rounds does the mag hold? jist wonderin'...
bang.
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

What is the difference between the H001 and the H004?
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Premo,

The H001 is the "regular" Henry:

The H004 is the "Golden Boy":

The guts are the same, but the outer portion, the receiver cover, and the rear stock are different. The tangs are longer, and angled more steeply, on the H004 Golden Boy. Some people prefer the greater stock drop of the Golden Boy, than they do the H001-series.

Shawn
ImageImage
Premo
Levergunner

Post by Premo »

Thanks Shawn!!
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

You are welcome.

Here is a little illustration:

Shawn
ImageImage
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I owned a flawless smooth as silk H001 but my nephew 9yo on Maui hearted it so I gave it him before I moved here to Oahu. I liked it enough that I will eventually pick up a Goldenboy in 22 mag to add to my "quiver". :wink:
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I have a Golden Boy. They sure named it right. Smooth as silk and good as gold.
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

Don't have a .22 yet. When I do, it'll be a Henry "Yeller Dawg". 8) Gonna be while, though. need an 'aught-six bolt gun next, and that won't be for quite some time. But I do happily accept donations of firearms, if anybody has too many!

And Ganjiro, I'm STILL diggin' that cool banana! Please don't ever get rid o' that little dancin' fool! :D :D :D :D
bang.