Feeding issues in 1895 500 linebaugh

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Feeding issues in 1895 500 linebaugh

Post by Bearskinner »

Using cast performance bullets, 350 grain Gas Check and 435 grain gas check, in my almost 40 year old marlin 1895 in 500 Linebaugh. ( they don’t make the great 350’s any more) The flat meplat bullets that work so great in revolvers and single shots, are pretty wide in the nose, and do not load and feed gently in this lever gun.
Looking for a GC cast Bullet in the 410-440 grain range, with more of a tapered nose, but not a round nose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, to purchase bullets or for a GC mold, I could cast my own. Thanks
“YOU CAN’T SHOOT A BIG ONE IF YOU SHOOT A LITTlE ONE FIRST”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Feeding issues in 1895 500 linebaugh

Post by Grizz »

matt's bullets has a wide variety of .50 cast bullets.

have not shot any yet, but the ones I tried did very well under the hammer test.
that's as far as I've gotten in proof testing them.

mattsbullets.com/
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Beartooth bullets makes a 450gr long flat nose, it's a plain base but I've not had any leading problems with their bullets in a 24" 45 colt at 32 cup. danny
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Danny, he is looking for 50 cal. I think Marshall has one, but not .501. Or maybe more IDK.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bearskinner wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:55 am Using cast performance bullets, 350 grain Gas Check and 435 grain gas check, in my almost 40 year old marlin 1895 in 500 Linebaugh. ( they don’t make the great 350’s any more) The flat meplat bullets that work so great in revolvers and single shots, are pretty wide in the nose, and do not load and feed gently in this lever gun.
Looking for a GC cast Bullet in the 410-440 grain range, with more of a tapered nose, but not a round nose. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, to purchase bullets or for a GC mold, I could cast my own. Thanks
I tried some cast 460gr bullets with a rounded ogive, and they did not feed well. the tapered cone flat nose bullets feed best in my 45/70s, perhaps this is true for the .501 cast also...

beartoothbullets.com look at his 45 cal rifle bullets. the pile driver and pile driver jr have the same nose profile and feed well.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

Thanks for the responses. The 500L is a .510 diameter, ( same as a 50 Alaskan or 50BMG) so not as many options as a .501 Bullet. I started working with a bullet mold maker, so have a 435 grain Bullet ( GC ) that seats deep in the case with a good crimp groove, and only has a .240 Meplat. That gives a nice rounded nose over my usual wide flat nose bullets for revolvers. Once I cast some bullets, I think I will also try some of the slightly shorter (.015) .510GNR cases with the tapered Bullet. Only one way to know for sure
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for the clarification.. I mis-guessed the dia, and learned something new. Looking forward to your results...
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I had to get a 350 grain GC Bullet mold made for my light handgun rounds, as cast performance stopped them a few years ago, and my supply ran out. I got the mold made to drop .512 bullets, then I size them to .511 when I crimp on the gas check and lube. When the design is finalized for this new one, it should work out perfectly too. Gas checks are getting hard to find too. Hornady dropped them, and all I can find are a much taller check. Good thing I don’t shoot hundreds at a time.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I was way wrong about beartooth bullets. This is Marshall's 500L bullet. I know it's heavier than you are looking for, but these bullets have the best alloy for a hard working round. period.

http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselec ... atagory=26

Oops, that didn't work. sri

still learning anyway

this is a picture of a beartooth 525gr hard cast bullet that penetrated 12 one gallon jugs of water. the nose moved to fill up the cone of the TC front end. this alloy also does extremely well with the hammer test.

just broadcasting... for general information.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grizz on Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I've read of feeding problems in the 1894 Marlin with SWC bullets. One cure was to bevel the base of the chamber slightly, but I don't know if this would help with wide bullets as used in your Linebaugh.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

You might want to check the 50 cal moulds that are available from Accurate Moulds. All the bullet specs are available on their site.

Follow the link below:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=23

If you can’t find a suitable mould there you can always design your own mould at the Mountain Moulds site.

https://www.mountainmolds.com/
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

JFE wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:58 am You might want to check the 50 cal moulds that are available from Accurate Moulds. All the bullet specs are available on their site.

Follow the link below:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=23

If you can’t find a suitable mould there you can always design your own mould at the Mountain Moulds site.

https://www.mountainmolds.com/
I am working with accurate now, he is designing a mold off of one that is currently existing , I just slightly altered it to what I think I need
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:43 pm I was way wrong about beartooth bullets. This is Marshall's 500L bullet. I know it's heavier than you are looking for, but these bullets have the best alloy for a hard working round. period.

http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselec ... atagory=26

Oops, that didn't work. sri

still learning anyway

this is a picture of a beartooth 525gr hard cast bullet that penetrated 12 one gallon jugs of water. the nose moved to fill up the cone of the TC front end. this alloy also does extremely well with the hammer test.

just broadcasting... for general information.
That is such a HAMMER in itself...!!!
I ought to load something like that up in my 500 S&W levergun...
Even if I have to single-load them, they would be fun to thump stuff with... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

May not be of any help, but in my .480 Ruger model 92, I found that the WFN LBT style bullets wouldn't feed once I got above 410 grains. The LFN type would feed op to 435 grains. It seemed that the wide nose was interfering with the feeding. A thinner nose even though it was longer would give more reliable feeding for me. Just my experience in one gun with one caliber.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Here ya go Doc,

https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php? ... n6hu6vra46

This is designed for revolvers so feeding is not an issue. Bullet jump can be an issue.

@ piller: My 45/70s feed truncated cone bullets, but have a hard time with a rounded ogive like the former cast performance 460gr.

I have a theory that the TC bullet works better in flesh at modest velocities. The video of that PileDriver shot shows the hydrostatic pressure generated by the bullet. It seems that the bullet will run inside the envelope of it's bow wave. But who knows. In general, heavy for caliber solids don't "expend all their energy" by "lodging in the offside hide". But this incontrovertible fact is highly disputed by other favorite facts... :lol: :lol:
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

The altered design of the .512, 435 grain gas checked Bullet will have a long flat nose, with a meplat of .25. The long tapered nose should make a huge difference in sliding across the feed ramp over wide flat nose bullets with a .420 or .460 meplat. They will still work fine in a revolver, and is really only slightly different than bullets designed for older designed firearms with a similar look, but only a .18 meplat. I picked up more casting lead, and ordered more gas checks, so production is ready once the mold arrives.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sounds like a good load.. looking forward to seeing the bullets and mold
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

64768A10-B37F-4627-B22C-882CB2CB40AE.png
Still a gas checked Bullet, a little wider meplat but a tapered nose, will hopefully feed reliably
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that looks good! hope it's all you want it to be

I am a one load type of guy, when I find one that does everything I want it to, that gun gets that load. I have one for my guide gun and one for my 43 revolver, and eventually one for my AR50. [it's what I'm calling my 12.7]
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

66B94709-3CFD-4908-ACB9-E2E8B8A0FBE5.png
F63D861D-E799-485D-9569-7163528A3CC9.png
So I picked up a couple plain base tapered nose bullets to try while I was waiting for my mold, which I now have. The loaded round shown, feeds nicely, and I started casting the gas checked rounds that I just got the mold for. As the nose on my new mold have a meplat of .25, and the plain base loaded round is .28. I will size, check and lube the new bullets ( sizing to .511) and load some up to try. They should also cycle great as they are very close to the loads I tested.
The new 435 grain GC Bullet will work great in a 50 Alaskan also, so I think I have a winner here.
Shown in the second pic 525 grain WFN, my new 435 tapered Bullet, a 435 grain WFN , and a 350 grain WFN that I also cast.!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope you have fun!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

FA67D00E-EA5D-4CCC-9F7D-B1E7E9B501BA.png
Got the new bullets sized, gas checked, lubed and loaded. Also loaded up some 545 grain bullets. They feed great in the loading ramp. Just going from the wide flat nose I normally use in a revolver made a great difference. I am noticing some feeding tube issues, but that’s a different critter. Now if the rain and snow will stop, I will be out trying the new loads.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

really nice! hope you get velocity figures when you shoot them.
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

So after using every bullet design possible, the rounded nose Bullet worked much better, but I want to shoot ANY bullet in this gun, so more testing to do.
The carrier has a sort of a “STOP” to keep the rounds from going all the way back, and load easier by not traveling back and forth on a long cartridge carrier. After comparing the working action to an 1895 cowboy in 45-70. Here’s what needed to be done to the 500 Linebaugh 1895.
First the steel follower protruded out just slightly, and the carrier would drag going up and down. Pulled it and filed the face lightly, now no clearance issues, or rubbing.
Second, the timing of the carrier was a little too quick. On a longer case, the nose of the bullet would be started into the chamber as the lever goes forward, and the carrier drops. The (1.4 Linebaugh) nose of the shorter bullet has not yet started to enter the chamber as the carrier was going down, that’s why a rounder nose bullet worked better. SO, pulling the carrier, welding onto the Lobe underneath, adding material, filing smooth (twice) the carrier now stays up as the lever starts to go forward, the bolt started to push the shorter cartridge into the chamber, then the carrier drops, and feeding is now PERFECT with every bullet combo I have. It even feeds the shorter .510GNR rounds flawlessly. Lots of Fiddeling with it, but as such a rare firearm, I wanted it to work flawlessly, so it can be USED, not just admired. Sorry for the long explanation, hopefully it’s understood!
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

DAD49788-7EE1-484A-995C-312C2EBC48C9.png
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very interesting report, good job on persistence & knowledge & the pay off sounds like
the reward is with a fine gun operating too the owners desire, thanks for the post!!

ollogger
Bearskinner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bearskinner »

I wish to admit here, that thanks to my buddy Tim, that provided the two comparable rifles, and did the actual welding and filing, and his persistence, got this figured out. Nice to have fruends
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Awesome to have it turn out well to reward your persistence... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "