Model 1886 Miroku Winchester and Browning buttstocks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Model 1886 Miroku Winchester and Browning buttstocks

Post by gary rice »

Anyone know if the buttstocks on these two rifles are interchangeable ? And would the tang safety on the Winchester be in the way as far as fitting. Macon tells me he has a pattern for the Browning version , my new 86 is the Winchester!
g rice
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Model 1886 Miroku Winchester and Browning buttstocks

Post by HawkCreek »

I am 99% sure they are interchangeable (but I've been wrong before). If the tang safety needed any more room a few light passes with a sharp 1/4" wood chisel would take care of the problem.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Many thanks for the response, I kind of thought the tangs and all else would be the same, interesting I called Midwest gunworks they said they didn’t know and they sell their products , go figure !
g rice
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Gary,
You just bought that 86 recently. Have you broken the stock already?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Lol not yet. I’m just not sure I like the wood on it. I’ve done a few things that I think have improved on it somewhat , added a little stain and mixed with blo but I’m thinking it deserves some better looking wood. Also I’ve yet to ream the throat so that remains to be done. If I’d found the 45-90 instead that would have eliminated one problem . Any huntin lately?
g rice
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

60455ABF-9D37-4683-9BD9-4BD746C9ECFF.jpeg
It should look more like this!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g rice
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Not lately - due to the rain and mud. I am supposed to drag a chain harrow over the horse poop in the pasture at least monthly, but it has been too muddy for four months. Looks like stuff- literally! The darned rain also messed up two bird hunts !
However working on two hog hunts in the coming weeks. We are getting low on venison - that 400 pound red deer was as good as an elk and is almost gone.
Therefore it will be off to an exotic ranch soon.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

You’re making me hungry !!
g rice
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I bought a stock set that came off a Miroku made Win 1886 EL (shotgun butt stock) and had the butt stock fitted to my Browning 1886 SRC.

It wasn’t exactly interchangeable and had to have areas relieved to fit. I didn’t trust myself to do it and had a stock maker fit it properly.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Actually since my first post I found an older browning 86 stock which I replaced with nicer wood several years back. I spent about 20 minutes with a file and have it about 3/4 there but I do find that the tangs on the Winchester I have are a little wider than my browning, enough to have to remove more wood to fit properly . I would have also guessed they’re the same although even two like models are always a little different when dealing with thousandths!
g rice
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I actually watched the stock maker fit mine up. The tangs fitted fine with no adjustment there required. The stocks did have slightly different internal inletting and this did need some fitting work.

However going the other way, ie Browning stock to fit a Winchester action, may not need much, if any, adjustment.
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Mine does , but I had bedded it to the browning which makes a big difference. Thanks for the info!
g rice
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

I hope anyone interested can see this. This is the Miroku browning 1886 buttstock, to get a complete fit I had to relieve a lot of wood, all the way back to where you see the line I placed. Otherwise the safety wouldn’t function.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g rice
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Now the dimensions are the same as the Winchester . Big difference!
g rice
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I'm shocked you needed to remove that much to get the safety to function. On my 1895 and 1892 all the parts to the safety are within 1/4" of the upper tang. I assumed the 1886 would be the same (but I did give fair warning to everyone I'd been wrong before).
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

Well to be fair some of the other innards of the browning wood are also different. I had to remove quite a lot however. Tomorrow I’ll take the buttstock off the Winchester and post a photo of that , they now look the same.
g rice
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

I should clear this up a little, it was not just trouble with the safety but I could not get the tangs seated without removing all that wood. It took a couple of hours trial fitting then taking a little more off and on and on until it was fit. I do want a nicer piece of wood for the Winchester but I won’t be buying browning wood and going through this routine again. I’m going to send the factory stock to Macon where they can duplicate it then I only need to fit a 95% or more stock to the metal. I only posted this in case someone else had an idea to buy a browning stock for the newer version Winchester . Also I just remembered that mine has the round barrel verses octagon on the browning which might also be a problem so I better send the forearm in as well .,
g rice
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Gary,
Thank you for the information. It will likely benefit someone in the future.

Now off to the range?
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

My range was closed all weekend due to some special event but next week I’ll be there with bells on.. I’d like to see what that 45-90 does to a bull elk!
g rice
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

My last post on this boring subject , my Winchester buttstock .
g rice