The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

My guess is that the next poster is going to win page 51......Good luck Harry......your due for a win!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No, the most prolific poster stands the best chance to be at the top of each page... so that pretty much narrows it to Six or Gunny... for the rest of of us, it's just plain ole "luck"!

Hmmm... Jay won't be wearing his coat in Sept...? Right? Otherwise, I might just skip comin' by... :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sure........the NEXT poster!
It's a conspiracy......a conspiracy I tell ya! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Griff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pm No, the most prolific poster stands the best chance to be at the top of each page... so that pretty much narrows it to Six or Gunny... for the rest of of us, it's just plain ole "luck"!

Hmmm... Jay won't be wearing his coat in Sept...? Right? Otherwise, I might just skip comin' by... :D
Now Griff......
That hurts old buddy! :(
I can't believe you'd think you would have anything to fear from your old buddy Jay. :D
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Well you got it six.
Jay they used to use calcium chloride, but found it was killing the trout/polluting the streams. They soy is mixed with water and sprayed on, they also will disc the road bed and drop soy powder, disc the road again then water the heck out of it and use a roller behind a grader.

-22 this morning, I don’t care who you are it’s darn cold when you go out on the porch in your underwear to get firewood
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:59 pm
Griff wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:56 pmNo, the most prolific poster stands the best chance to be at the top of each page... so that pretty much narrows it to Six or Gunny... for the rest of of us, it's just plain ole "luck"!
Now Griff......
That hurts old buddy! :(
I can't believe you'd think you would have anything to fear from your old buddy Jay. :D
I trust you Jay, it's the coat that I'm afraid of... it has a pretty bad rep... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You guys better be nice to griff, he has the means to haul all your jeeps, tractors, mustangs and ice houses off in one swoop.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

harry wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 pmYou guys better be nice to griff, he has the means to haul all your jeeps, tractors, mustangs and ice houses off in one swoop.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup that coat is the culprit! Better watch The Rose if that jacket is around- it could disappear and become a deer stand or even a mobile ice house and then become a dooryard ornament the rest of the year!

So Six wins again, well we are trying to boost your confidence so you will kick butt at the nationals! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Big deal...I win.......as Griff said, I probably have 97% of the posts.......yea, I got a life...little over 2K a year miles combined on two vehicles......well...what do I win? Jay done took everything I had and I sold off all of Pitchy' junk I won before to the scrap dealer......I spotted Gunny out in the woods with a pair of binoculars and a phone, conversing with some truck driver with Texas plates scoping out my old worn out Jeep......Tom hawking the auction sites for what I did have left.....only friend I have who is not out to use and abuse me is Old Savage. Even Harry is teaming up with "the squad" to vote me out.

I'm doomed......I'm moving to Maine and get my own fenced in dooryard....
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's true boys! The curse of the coat. It ain't my fault. I can't control it. It has a power all it's own. :D

Well, I took a 6 mile ride in the Jeep this afternoon. Never left the garage. :D

That is cold, Harry. Got up last Saturday morning and it was 15 below here. Nippy. Nice today but cold again tomorrow. I hate it when it's up and down.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha "The Squad"! WTF man! :D
I'll take heat for the coat........even the dooryard......but I will NOT be part of no "squad". That word has been ruined forever. :D

Yeah buddy! Come on up! I will find you a nice place with a sweet dooryard! :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmuuuuuuuuupppppphhhhhhhh......"Mr Dooryard is feeling his oats......6 miles on a jack stand going through the gears. :D Sure...keep everything lubricated! Pump the brakes, down shift, turn the steering box.....smart move...

One time some years back I was doing the same thing in Ole Yeller...for the same reasons.......but......that time I was having a few cold ones and for real, the speedometer was up around 70. Talk about a hurtin on the drive train if it wobbled off and lurching into the neighbors yard.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah I hear that! I keep mine at about 25mph in 3rd. Keeps the RPMs at about 1800. I run it in 4hi.
Then I pull it in 4lo and cycle the lockers several times.
Yup run the brakes a little. Cut the wheels back and forth to cycle the steering box.

Bro? 70mph! Holy smokes! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah but if you read that again, beer was involved so he could have been sitting in the bath tub for all he knows :lol: !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well......had a little excitement around here tonight........telephone pole lit up for like 15 minutes.....lit up the whole yard like daytime......went out and took some pics and a video.......we never lost electric but everybody down the road did......electric co. comes out and by then the light was out......I showed the electric co. guy the video and he said, "great! I need that" What the hell for I don't know but this guy was a computer wiz and he took my iPad and click..click...click....he got it.

He takes his helmet off and he starts laughing, and says, "hi Jack". dang, an old buddy of mine...we start laughing and I tell him I could lit a joint from the light show....---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well I was a squad leader. Gladly lead them off though would you ever see them again.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Pole/ transformer fires can be a heck of a show, especially if the transformer blows! Your line must have come off before that fuse!

I'm with Jay, the squad term has been ruined. Fire team, now that's a term I can relate to.
Squad now just means a group of bungling idiots.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I was on the 18th floor of the Airport Marriot during one earth quake. The building was swaying so it was hard to walk across the room but you could see transformers popping around town.

Another time Six, I was in the basement with this gal. You will see she comes with a caution sign in two languages. Alcohol may have been involved ;-).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sure looks like there's a lot of lovely women ;-) out the in Cali.......here, the gals ain't so friendly....a lot of em carry guns and the rest of them will flip ya off, unless of course, you have a wad of Ben's to spend on them.

Cold today.....high twenties and the wind is a blowin'...---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Today we put in a 10 foot Anderson sliding door . Cold here maybe just maybe a high of 23 with NW wind. Take a guess what side of the house the door was on ? Yup a 10 hole in the house for 1/3 of the day!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

So you worked today huh Gunny??? I took Miss Apple out for a walk in the pasture and the woods for a little bit and it was cold.

DONT YOU HURT MY LITTLE DOG!!!! (Watching a weirdo movie...can you name it?)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Silence of the lambs
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes we worked, not been doing much lately with all the rain the past couple weeks.

It's a balmy 7* here this morning! Guess I need to get a fire going in the shop so I can clean birds in a nice warm place later!

Claro goes for a surgical consultant on Monday. I'm not looking forward to this bill!

Tree huggers singing at a city council in Seattle!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You're right buddy. Seven degrees is balmy. Its 18 below here.
That'll frost your fritter.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good buddy of mine lives in ND, his first winter there was weeks on end of -20 and colder. He had to get up numerous times a night to gout out and try to get his 76 land cruiser to start. If he couldn't he would have to fire up a kerosene jet heater and thaw everything out. If it started then he would go back to bed. Not the place to live with a tired old diesel engine!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Living in an extreme cold temperature don't make any sense...to me.....along with the "minus temps" you get a shorter day which all boils down to cabin fever and more depression. I believe people like Jay are just born into it and have adapted. I see myself going in the opposite direction and want warmer climate and longer days as I age....believe that's why people retire to Florida or AZ....but that's just as bad as I hate humidity, extreme hot temps, snakes, and spiders......think I'll just stay where I'm at.

Got into the high teens last night.....loaded the stove up with osage orange, cut down the air flow and the house stayed decent all night until 11 when I got up. Temps read 60 in the living room......of course, having a little house helps.....---6

The long range benchrest match was cancelled.....who wants to shoot in the cold? If I'm gonna spend $60 I'm gonna do it in comfort.------nobody
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nope I wouldn't want to shoot in these temps either! That being said Parker found 9 out of 10 birds this morning! Sure it was cold but since we were moving it wasn't bad at all.

Nice and warm now, 23- try to do some yard work this afternoon.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Come on man, you're killing me.
Was I right about the movie?
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:34 pm Come on man, you're killing me.
Was I right about the movie?

I KNEW you would know it!!!!! Well done Mr. Jay.......YOU WIN the weirdo's night vision goggles....I win his Colt.....(looked like a Python)

The little town where the weirdo lives is very typical of upstate Pa and I believe was filmed in a Pa town.

I'm always walking around the house murmuring "don't you hurt my little dog" with my magnifiers on my head....when I'm flipping through the channels and see that movie on I'll time it just to watch the part where the weirdo is looking into the pit at the girl holding the little dog then turn the volume ALL THE WAY UP right when he says, "don't you hurt my little dog"....

After the cops get there you see the girl walking out with the dog, assuming she took possession of "Precious" and to me, is the best part of the movie.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha I can't believe that just popped in my head! I haven't seen that movie in years.
It was a good move. That was one weird dude man. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I cant say I remember that part... but then again I only saw it once.
At first I thought you were talking about the wizard of oz...
My favorite movie quote is from blazing saddles. Actually a few from blazing saddles are in my top 5!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:10 pm My favorite movie quote is from blazing saddles. Actually a few from blazing saddles are in my top 5!
Yep....I like it when Slim Pickens was trying to save the rail machine from falling in the mud and there were several "guys" trying to dig it out and the "guys"were sinking too and Slim said, "f the "guys", that's a $400 rail machine!"

And then when all the townspeople were standing there and the new "sheriff" was riding in on his horse and they all said, "the sheriff is "near!".

And the guys were all sitting around the campfire after eating beans and started farting.

One of my favorite movies and certainly not politically correct...could you imagine that movie being made today? :D ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The little old lady, Widow Johnson had the best ever. Other good one is when the townsfolk see Mongo coming. Had a guy that worked at the lumberyard I named Mongo," Nevermind that pelosi here comes Mongo" was how I always started talking to him.

Well our deer season officially ended yesterday , bow season at dark. I feel bad for only getting out a couple mornings in December. Oh well, maybe next year I'll spend more time doing my squirrel impression.

I see Deleware is trying to stop 'ghost guns' , 80% lowers are evil because they don't have a paper trail.

Oh well, a warm 23 here this morning. It'll be nice for my morning walk, what gun to take this morning?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Decided to take my 410 this morning, I think it was ready for a walk ! [attachment=0]20200216_110632_copy_800x600.jpg[/attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Nice bag Gunny! I know your gonna laugh at my ignorance, but those other birds...educate me as to size and taste compared to the ringnecks.... .......your choice of a .410 shows how you handicap yourself on purpose.....I do the same at matches....shows your confidence.....well done!

Oh Lordy, did you see President Trumps plane flying low over the NASCAR stadium? :D Along with most true Americans, I have never seen such a patriotic President who actually resonates with the majority of regular Joes....He's the best!---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The 'other birds' are chukar, very mild tasting, the meat is almost translucent. 410 is just as easy to shoot birds with as anything else, I use 3" so 11/16 oz isn't that far off from my 3/4 oz 28 ga loads or even my 24 gram (13/16 oz)12 ga load for international trap. You just have to LOOK at the bird.

Didnt see the fly over.

Was nice to get out of the house this morning , took my mind off today's significance...3 years since Dad passed. Kind of a somber day.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks on the bird thingy.......your underestimating yourself...the .410 is an experts gun.......

MY PRESIDENT said "start yo engines". Talk about Trump territory.....could you see a nation of NASCAR fans dealing with Trumps removal?

Did sum gubsmitten today......I have this octagoned barreled 1894 Marlin in 44-40 that has a .425 groove diameter and the chamber will not accept a bullet larger than .427....never shot this gun too much mostly because I forgot about it.....took it out last week and shot 40 rounds at 50 and 100 meters.....for real, an inch at 50 and only 2 at 100.....all under ideal conditions....solid bench, good nerves, my eyes were sharp......

But I didn't like the trigger pull which was 4.5 lbs.......I think I'm gonna use this gun at the Nationals for BOTH pistol caliber and big bore lever action....for some reason I can shoot a pistol calibered gun better than a boomer rifle cartridge.....yea..it's mental....

So......I popped out the hammmer, took a measurement and the sear engagement was about .035. Put it in a vice and stoned it down to .025......while I didn't touch the actual engagement area I was still worried about the hardness. I polished it up and heated up the bottom of the hammer to red hot and gave it the Casenhard treatment. It's now rock hard and a file glides across it.........got worried a bit......

Added some frog lube to the bearing surfaces and put the gun back together......1.75 pounds ....zero creep......yea....worried.
Lots of guys like a 1 pound ...or less trigger....I like a minimum of 2.5.....oh well, once you take off metal it's a real gunsmiths job to put it back on.....I'll get used to it.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I learnt in collage that an expert is:
eX in mathematics is an unknown and a spurt is a drip under pressure so an expert is an unknown drip under pressure!
I dont claim to be an expert but I do know my way around a scatter gun!!

A lot of times trigger pulls are heavy because the angles are sharp. A little stone work and it gets better by just easing the angles. But in this case that's not the problem! The 10 thousandths you removed was probably through the case hardening. Did you use casenite?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yep...that's the stuff...casenite..... ..when I stoned, I stoned the "amount of engagement", not the area where the sear touches, so I was thinking I would not hurt it but I don't need the aggravation of a hammer going forward by itself so,I hardened it. Don't know if I did it right but it's hard.

Some years back, the other "Gunny" brought over an 1894 in 32-20 that only had a tiny bump for a notch....I didn't know what I was doing but just used common sense and filed a new notch and hardened it the same way......he probably shoots 500-800 rds a year out of it and it's still good...around 10 years ago. I know how much he shoots it because I cast the bullets for him....the only thing it shoots is the 115 Lyman gas check bullet at .313. But.......I made him buy a lubrisizer and the checks. :D I'm a nice guy but not that nice.

Oh sheeeeeeeettttt......I'm bored......why don't you move down this way and we could be shootin' buddies........you have skills that will give you a job anywhere. Bernville is about 45 miles from here.... we could be partners in crime and people would call us the "ball brothers" as we would be hanging together. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I move it's going to be west of the Mississippi! Either Idaho, North Dakota or Kansas ! You are about half as far as I am from Bernville!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well I actually did some gun stuff today too. I had put an aftermarket barrel and a stupidly large scope on one of my 10/22’s so I took a bunch of different brands of ammo with me to try and the CCI clean subsonic is the clear winner with one fifty yard 5 shot group looking like a single 308 hole. I have been playing with an old(1904) Marlin 1892 in 32 long. I finally got the case length and heeled bullet to cycle and be accurate yeah! It is a bit of a powerhouse though. It uses reformed 32 smith and Wesson long brass trimmed to work and a 95 grain round nosed heel bullet backed by 2.2 grains of Bullseye. Yeah she’ a handful but I am up to the power. Hehe. Very satisfying day.!Then we had a gun club get together to stuff envelopes to our members with gun raffle and ham raffle tickets. So didn’t have time for the 44 mag loads I loaded dadgummit I will have to go back tomorrow. Shucks.😎
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You guys have full lives... me, just kickin' around... after 15 years of applying I made it far enough up the waiting list to be invited to join a local gun club. Rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges, including Trap, Skeet, 5-Stand, & Sporting Clays! Today was new member orientation. Came home and continued installing the new porch, perimeter and patio lighting. Running new electric wires and installing boxes isn't fun... (shoulda planned this better)... but sure is satisfying!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well it's about time-
You got that 32 figured out! I understand the recoil is a problem but geeze get yourself a sissy pad! :lol:
15 year waiting list!? Holy cow in that amount of time you could have bought your own property and built your own range! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Griff......I feel the same way.....after a certain age not much of anything is fun anymore......

32 Colt ??? I think I have some of that around...long and short.....both in ammo and unused brass...

Nice day today.....think I'll fire up the Kubota and make me a pile of dirt from the pond dredgings....
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well took Claro to see the surgeon this morning. Doc does a basic exam , I can see a puzzled look on her face, then she does the 'drawer' test. She says ok for a minute there I couldn't see this as a torn ACL. Claro has some fluid on her knee. I was thinking it was just a soft tissue injury until I did the test, yes its definitely a rupture of the ACL. Vet assures me that she will not be a happy camper for a couple weeks BUT she will recover and be as good as new after 90 days. Now I have to find $4500 to cover the bills ! Hey Jack sell Jay a couple colts, Tom a couple winchesters and loan me a few bucks ?!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Get a load of this!

700-pound black bear shot in New Jersey sets world record

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/ ... rld-record
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hey Gunny, I hope Claro heals quickly. Good luck keeping her from jumping too soon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That was one big bear. How long before the hunter has to go into hiding because the anti hunters are threatening to kill him?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Piller!
Yeah I'm sure that guy has had some already! Good thing is it was reported by Fox news- the antis dont watch Fox so he might be safe! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!