Hmmmmm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Hmmmmm

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sometimes stuff falls into your lap and sometimes things come and seek you out ! This is a combination of the two I think ! I’ve wanted a Gold Cup for a good many years , as of today I have one .
A9BD0592-AEA1-4B99-ADF8-920D5D778D8C.jpeg
093A0DD4-08AB-468E-BD58-EEB5CB932DC9.jpeg
6401A59C-E83B-4C4C-BE13-2091C4F5A3E9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hmmmmm

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!

Mine is my favorite 1911 and probably the most accurate pistol I've ever owned.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Yours looks pretty nice also !

Seems to me when stuff comes my way it comes in bunches or most certainly at inopportune times !

The Rock Island auction is going on now and I have a couple tings with bids , bought the little CZ 452 FS yesterday and of course the Southern SxS is coming up when I return from the Philippines . Looks like I may very well have little if any play money when I head to North Carolina :roll:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks, mine is one of the new ones. Planning on ordering one in 9mm to go with it. Can't have enough 1911s. :D

A friend of mine gave me a set of bone grips for it. Really like how they look. :D

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:40 pm Thanks, mine is one of the new ones. Planning on ordering one in 9mm to go with it. Can't have enough 1911s. :D

jb 8)
I've got 4 that's as many as I've ever owned at once .

Might look around for a Kimber 4" in 9mn like the 45 I already have . The boss does very well with a 9mm 1911 but the 45 I let her shoot at the range in the Philippines almost came out of her hand .
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have five now, had about a dozen at one time. Still working on putting the collection back together. Having a blast with the Turkish/ SDS 1911a1. I've gone through several boxes of ammo so far without an issue. :D

jb 8)

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Very nice!
P1070881.jpg
P1070880.jpg
Haven't had time to get to the range with mine.

With the lightened slide would it be safer to just get fresh springs before shooting it? My old lwt commander Super 38 cracked the slide on locking open after one of my range trips.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Walker on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nice looking 1911s. Gold Cup ones are sure nice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I got thru the Rock Island auction without buying anything ! The four lots I was intrested in went well above what I was willing to go . So I don’t feel bad about getting the Gold Cup today 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Friend of mine had a Gold Cup stolen years ago. He couldn't bring himself to replace it , afraid it would get stolen again! Geeze that was more than 30 years ago !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

When my son moved to Texas I gave him most of my guns...he was going to get them anyway...but one was a gold cup I inherited from my father, early 70's model if I remember right...nice gun
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:57 pmMight look around for a Kimber 4" in 9mn like the 45 I already have . The boss does very well with a 9mm 1911 but the 45 I let her shoot at the range in the Philippines almost came out of her hand .
I really like the smoothness of my Rock Island 9mm 1911. The 'doublestack' grip is only 3/16" more girth than a 'normal' 1911, which actually fits my skinny-finger hands better.

Plus, the Rock Island Armory one I have came with an 'extra' barrel and spring to fire the 22 TCM, which is a half-length 223 cartridge spitting out a 40gr 22 FMJ or JHP at over 2,000 fps.... :shock: Kind of a fun 'range toy', but also could have application for varmints, self-defense against hardened-targets, and powerful self-defense (along with the 9mm itself) in a package with VERY easy slide-retraction.

The review I linked to above isn't exactly 'detailed', but notice the lesser recoil for the high-velocity 22 TCM he shoots towards the end, versus even the 9mm. The often-cited 'loud boom' from the 22 TCM isn't apparent in the video, and quite honestly, in my own experience, isn't an "issue" with the one I have. Yes, it is 'loud', but about like shooting a 6" 357 revolver.

Anyway, even without the 22 TCM optional barrel, the Rock Island 9mm is a GREAT 1911...!

Note they also make one in 22 WMR, which is as far as I know the only semiauto in that cartridge other than the KelTek. Obviously the 1911 action can handle the 22 WMR, and it makes more sense than a 22 LR in the 1911 if you ask me.

Here is our own Jeff Quinn doing a GunBlast review of the Rock Island 22 TCM/9mm - https://youtu.be/3KTvDbWdv0s
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:18 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:57 pmMight look around for a Kimber 4" in 9mn like the 45 I already have . The boss does very well with a 9mm 1911 but the 45 I let her shoot at the range in the Philippines almost came out of her hand .
I really like the smoothness of my Rock Island 9mm 1911. The 'doublestack' grip is only 3/16" more girth than a 'normal' 1911, which actually fits my skinny-finger hands better.

Plus, the Rock Island Armory one I have came with an 'extra' barrel and spring to fire the 22 TCM, which is a half-length 223 cartridge spitting out a 40gr 22 FMJ or JHP at over 2,000 fps.... :shock: Kind of a fun 'range toy', but also could have application for varmints, self-defense against hardened-targets, and powerful self-defense (along with the 9mm itself) in a package with VERY easy slide-retraction.

The review I linked to above isn't exactly 'detailed', but notice the lesser recoil for the high-velocity 22 TCM he shoots towards the end, versus even the 9mm. The often-cited 'loud boom' from the 22 TCM isn't apparent in the video, and quite honestly, in my own experience, isn't an "issue" with the one I have. Yes, it is 'loud', but about like shooting a 6" 357 revolver.

Anyway, even without the 22 TCM optional barrel, the Rock Island 9mm is a GREAT 1911...!

Note they also make one in 22 WMR, which is as far as I know the only semiauto in that cartridge other than the KelTek. Obviously the 1911 action can handle the 22 WMR, and it makes more sense than a 22 LR in the 1911 if you ask me.

Here is our own Jeff Quinn doing a GunBlast review of the Rock Island 22 TCM/9mm - https://youtu.be/3KTvDbWdv0s
When I was in Davao two years ago we shot at the Armscor indoor range . I rented two Rock Island 1911’s one was a 9mm and the other was the 22 TCM . I like their products and have sold a bunch of them at the shop .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I always wanted a Gold Cup too, and when I had my FFL back in the 1980's i bought myself a new Gold Cup. It was extremely accurate, but the trigger pull wasn't very good. It broke clean, but was fairly heavy for a gun designed for accurate shooting. My 1967 Commercial has a much nicer trigger, and would shoot just as accurate, with a better feel. My Remington Rand Camp Perry outshoots both the Gold Cup and the Commercial Colt. So I ended up selling the Gold Cup to a coworker for her husband.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

That fine blue finish and the elegantly done rollmarks make me want one! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My plan is to leave for the range at 08:30 tommorrow and one of the things to be fired will be the new to me Gold Cup that I’ve yet to make go bang :wink:
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

Do be careful and load only 2 or 3 rounds at first.
I bought one brand new and loaded 7 rounds in it, when I fired it, it went full auto and shot up the range ceiling and like to scared me to death.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Shot 100 rounds of hardball at 10 yards a few minutes ago .
785C1126-3C57-4AA3-AB63-35FCCBFAC321.jpeg
842010F9-0132-49C2-9DF1-F65254AE7E68.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Gun shot pretty well ! I’m no great pistol shot but I’m not terrible either :wink: Before shot the Gold Cup I shot rifles . Fifty rounds 22LR in the CZ452-FS , fifty rounds 222 in my 700 Varmint , seventeen rounds 6mm PPC in the Sako HB , thirteen rounds 7x57 in the Mannlicher Schoenauer and finally fifty rounds of 6.5mm Sherman Short Magnums . Might do sporting clays tommorrow depending on how much sleep I get tonight .