Need Single Action Army revolver help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Need Single Action Army revolver help

Post by jnyork »

I have a Cimarron Single Action Army, .45 Colt, with exactly 51 rounds through it. Firing cast bullets with light loads. Upon firing the 51st shot, the action locked up and cannot be moved. The hammer is down and cannot be cocked or moved. The trigger cannot be moved at all. I got the pin and cylinder out ok but did not improve things. The fired round showed no signs of pressure. Before I took the cylinder out I checked for backed off primers, no joy. Remaining rounds look fine. Any ideas?
Jay Bird

Re: Need Single Action Army revolver help

Post by Jay Bird »

Your going to have to take it apart.......remove the grips, trigger guard and grip strap. Take the mainspring out.....Take out the screws that hold the trigger, bolt and hammer. My guess is that the pin that holds this safety thingy at the bottom of the hammer worked loose. Colts don't have these but foreign copies do.

I worked on one that did the exact same thing.

It's relatively easy to do. For me, it's a 15 minute job. Just pay attention to the relation of the parts.

After taking out the pin and the safety thing, throw em in the trash. ----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Take pics with your phone so you can refer back for reassembly. Sure remove the parts but put them in a plastic bag, label them for what they are for( 6 months from now you won't remember what they are for ) then go shoot it! Colts and the clones are very simple- shouldn't have any problems!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You could just send it to NKJ and let him deal with it or I think Cimarron would, should fix it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

There are a couple pretty good Single action disassembly videos on YouTube. There really isn’t as much going on in there as you would think. Good luck and keep us posted.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Since it was under warranty, I decided to let Cimarron worry about it. I called them, they didn't argue a bit, immediately sent me a mailing label. Took it to UPS about noon on Tuesday, had it back in my hand the following Monday about 7:00 PM. Little note in it that the refitted the hand and test fired it. I have been down with the crud so haven't made it to the range yet to check it out.

I was VERY IMPRESSED with the service from this company, I cannot recall in my lifetime a smoother and more timely response to a problem from a big company like this.

If you are considering the purchase of an Old West type firearm of some sort, I strongly recommend you check out Cimarron.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad it worked out well, get rid of the crud and make smoke... :D always good to hear of decent after sales service... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice to know they care about their products- unlike S&W not warranty a front sight insert that another member recently had!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope you get to feeling better soon. I am interested in how well the repair holds.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is good to know. Always thought Cimarron made some neat stuff. Nice to see an outfit stand behind their products.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

piller wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:58 pm Hope you get to feeling better soon. I am interested in how well the repair holds.
Yeah, so am I!!! :D

Gotta wait out this little bout with the crud. Maybe next week sometime, will post results.

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

That is Great News ! Glad they took care of it. I just had the same kind of service from Remington on a shotgun I just bought. they fixed it and had it back in less than two weeks. Hope You Get back to normal. :D .