Knife Guys a ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Knife Guys a ?

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I want to buy a 5-7" durable and tough knife blade blank to put my own handles on. What do you recomend. Did i mention tough and durable! would like to keep cost to $50 or under if possible. Weight doesnt bother me but has to be at least 3/16" thick. thanks Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Knife Guys a ?

Post by piller »

https://knivesandknifemaking.com/index. ... hIQAvD_BwE

They may have something you like. Jantz Supply out of Oklahoma is another possibility.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Read the fine print. Some of these supply places do and some don't harden or temper the blade. If you want one that is not hardened so that you can easily shape it to your own liking, make sure that you can get someone to harden it for you. Alternatively, hardening it yourself is not too difficult. Plenty of tutorials are on YouTube. Should you not mind doing all the work yourself, go get a 1970s or 1980s Chevy leaf spring from a wrecking yard, also called automotive recyclers now, and grind it out yourself. The spring steel in automotive leaf springs will harden pretty well and hold a decent edge. It is also tough, so it resists fracturing and will retain its shape even when deformed a little during hard use.
D. Brian Casady
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

piller wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:36 pm Read the fine print. Some of these supply places do and some don't harden or temper the blade. If you want one that is not hardened so that you can easily shape it to your own liking, make sure that you can get someone to harden it for you. Alternatively, hardening it yourself is not too difficult. Plenty of tutorials are on YouTube. Should you not mind doing all the work yourself, go get a 1970s or 1980s Chevy leaf spring from a wrecking yard, also called automotive recyclers now, and grind it out yourself. The spring steel in automotive leaf springs will harden pretty well and hold a decent edge. It is also tough, so it resists fracturing and will retain its shape even when deformed a little during hard use.
Do 70s and 80s Chevy leaf springs have different properties than other leaf springs? :?:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No, just easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
D. Brian Casady
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

In the UK the guy to go to for blanks and all things knife related is Heinnie Haynes, his web site www.heinnie.com is well worth a look, even if P&P is excessive.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Smoky Mt Knife Works, Condor blade blank

https://www.smkw.com/condor-kephart-blade-blank

1075, not a mystery steel like some of the other folks, not 3/16" but close at .125.

...and just as I pulled it up, it's out of stock in the catalog.

I'll be there next week, was wanting to buy a couple for myself. Maybe they'll have some in the store.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I used to buy from texas knife makers. Tried other online retailers too.
Few years back I found AUS8 or D2( dont remember
which) finished blades for very reasonable price. Made one for myself then my buddies each wanted one. They are 5/16 thick, drop point and shallow with 4 inch long blade, full tang- perfect for cleaning the south end of a deer type critter. I also personalized each bolster, initials except for this one.
E8390E51-0B15-421B-9FEB-9835242F621A.JPG
This buddy has sleep apnea and his nickname is Vader.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

claybob86 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:52 pm
piller wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:36 pm Read the fine print. Some of these supply places do and some don't harden or temper the blade. If you want one that is not hardened so that you can easily shape it to your own liking, make sure that you can get someone to harden it for you. Alternatively, hardening it yourself is not too difficult. Plenty of tutorials are on YouTube. Should you not mind doing all the work yourself, go get a 1970s or 1980s Chevy leaf spring from a wrecking yard, also called automotive recyclers now, and grind it out yourself. The spring steel in automotive leaf springs will harden pretty well and hold a decent edge. It is also tough, so it resists fracturing and will retain its shape even when deformed a little during hard use.
Do 70s and 80s Chevy leaf springs have different properties than other leaf springs? :?:
If you plan to use a old leaf spring, be sure it's got as little arc as possible. Unless you have a forge to straighten the spring and get it flat it will be tough to grind it flat with much arc. Also a heat treated leaf spring is not easy to shape, as they're pretty darn hard. I've made a couple knives using helper springs from trucks which are the lowest spring in the pack, and almost always close to dead flat. It took a huge amount of time with a grinder to shape it, and then more to thin it and make it usable. But it's a fantastic blade that holds an edge well!
The last several knives I made I just bought a nice Damascus blank and went from there. Much easier, and the blanks were very reasonably priced too.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Todd, I have always been very happy with blades and knives I have bought from Ragnar at Ragweed Forge:

https://www.ragweedforge.com/BladeCatalog.html
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have purchased a few blades from there and added handles and finials to my own liking. I was always happy with the price and service. Those SCA types are usually willing to help a beginner to get started.
D. Brian Casady
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

trackofthewolf.com has all kinds of knives and blades. danny
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

BigSky56 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 pm trackofthewolf.com has all kinds of knives and blades. danny
as does crazycrow.com
https://www.crazycrow.com/knife-blades