took my new EDC knife on a walk through the wood

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

took my new EDC knife on a walk through the wood

Post by 1894c »

Hi -- I have noticed that many of our new LE rookies are carrying a Cold Steel Voyager (or a Recon, Code-4, Black Talon) knife for duty. I have never even looked at a Cold Steel knife before, but after I lost my $300+ Benchmade a while back I thought I needed something a little less expensive. This is a great knife for EDC, although some consider a 4" blade folder to be too big, I just picked it up for $51 and it showed up last Friday.

So yesterday I took my new knife for a 11-hour ride and walk through the woods (we we looking for individuals who had outstanding felony warrants, we found 3 out of 5 at home). Anyways, I like this knife a lot (just ordered a 2nd today). SO WHAT KNIFE DO YOU YOU CARRY MOST OF THE TIME?... :)
IMG_0833 - Copy.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: took my new EDC knife on a walk through the wood

Post by octagon »

I like the shape of that blade. I have carried for about ten years a Gerber Combat Folder, 4.5 in blade, in a sheath made by a saddle shop for horizontal belt carry. Quite invisible under a t shirt. The only folder I've ever had that did not get loose at the pivot point. Best folder ive ever had 8)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I, too, have a 4" Voyager. It's a dandy. I very much have the impression that in Washington that 4" might be a legal issue, so I carry a 3 1/2 Inch SOG folder with a tanto point and serrated blade. It, too, is a dandy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My EDC knife is a Macator black cat, designed 1857 or there about and carried in both world wars by German soldiers. Today I just picked up this Swiss Army Knife Walker model because I wanted a small knife with a saw blade.
IMG_20200210_234507.jpg
Click to enlarge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Woods walking I sometimes take my Marble's Safety Folder as well.
IMG_20200210_235542.jpg
Click to enlarge.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Blaine wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:37 pm I, too, have a 4" Voyager. It's a dandy. I very much have the impression that in Washington that 4" might be a legal issue, so I carry a 3 1/2 Inch SOG folder with a tanto point and serrated blade. It, too, is a dandy.
BLAINE -- you are a wise man... There is no mention of blade length in the
RCW https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

And technically you can carry any length you want. However Seattle, Spokane, and possibly
Tacoma has a SMC that states no knife longer than 3.5 inches.

When I head for the big cities I too carry a Spydeco Delica 4 with a 2.88" blade--
by the way your SOG folder with a tanto point and serrated blade is a good choice... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:52 pm Macator black cat
gamekeeper -- that is one interesting knife I will have to look into that... :)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Over here in the UK 3" non locking is all you can legally carry, the little Swiss Army Walker is legal but if I get caught with the others I won't be posting for a while...
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The Macator black cat has quite a history, it is extremely slim, you don't even know you're carrying it..... 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought this A.G. Russell folder as a 50th birthday present for myself a little over two years ago. Rarely leave home without it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

knives? I know little about them..I use what works....a Leatherman for daily carry and a Case or Buck from when I used to hunt....WW2 KaBar for camp life stuck in the table.

But.....back to your picture.....people live in those conditions??! I'd be afraid to walk in a dump like that for fear of catching some disease. Best thing for that "place" would be a RPG......--6
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I carry a Cold Steel Voyager, an older made in Japan model.... I have come to dislike cold steel A LOT lately. Last two things I bought I "lost", meaning I put them somewhere where I don't have to look at them.

I shortened the blade slightly on the Voyager to stay inside WA "regulations". I've been carrying it for maybe 20 years now.

I like the blade shape on 1894c's version, look forward to hearing the field report after it's broke in
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

https://templarknife.com/collections/d2 ... -fallen-d2

I got it when they were starting up and paid a lot less.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Hmmmm, when you said walk through the woods, I had something entirely different in mind----and I rarely carry a folder, I like Puukos, something in a Scandi or Sammi grind carried in a belt sheath.

I really like your Marbles, Gamekeeper. I have one like it, but with stag handles, given to me by my father, I won't carry it as I'm too afraid to loose it.

On a daily basis, I carry a Leatherman.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

replaced my daily carry with a OKC Dozier Arrow, full grip handle, about 3 3/4" D2 steel.
Rides light in the pocket, yet has the size to do real work, opens in a flash, Not too expensive either.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

At work have been carrying the same Smith and Wesson Swat that I got as a academy graduation present. Lots of use and abuse over the years, seat belts, ammo boxes, heck I have pulled license plates off with it when I couldn't find a screwdriver. Still kicking and will cut the occasional steak when I feel like splurging for lunch.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1894c wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pmHowever Seattle, Spokane, and possibly Tacoma has a SMC that states no knife longer than 3.5 inches.
Wow.....those cities should secede from the United States.....what a crock.... :evil:

The entire legislative, executive, and judicial branches of those cities should resign in disgrace, and forfeit their pensions.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What do you actually DO with these knives from a tactical standpoint? I see all kinds of folks carrying them - especially LEOs. I'd like to know how often they really need and use them and for what.
I keep thinking back to "Crocodile Dundee." Now THIS is a knife.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:23 pm
1894c wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:06 pmHowever Seattle, Spokane, and possibly Tacoma has a SMC that states no knife longer than 3.5 inches.
Wow.....those cities should secede from the United States.....what a crock.... :evil:

The entire legislative, executive, and judicial branches of those cities should resign in disgrace, and forfeit their pensions.
and no fixed blades

no importa . . . you can open an artery with a 1 inch blade. or less if the wrist isn't too fat
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

For years I carried a Cold Steel 33T Tanto Ultralock. It was a great knife. Easy one-hand operation. But one day last summer it was gone. Reckon I lost it while I was walking the dog.

Now I carry a model of the Kershaw Leek. Not as intuitive as the the Ultralock but it's a good knife. Once I get it right in my hand it's fast open, and I can open and close it with one hand.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those Ken Onion designs are decent steel and open easily and quickly. They might not be the newest design, but they work.
D. Brian Casady
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:30 pm What do you actually DO with these knives from a tactical standpoint? I see all kinds of folks carrying them - especially LEOs. I'd like to know how often they really need and use them and for what.
I use my knife all the time, checking packages or plastic bags wrapped with copious amounts of duct tape for illegal substances, seat belts, opening unknown stuff (usually on the gooey side), prying stuff open, cutting pizza or a donut in half, rope, self-defense, it's a basic tool that's handy to have... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Grizz wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 pm

and no fixed blades

no importa . . . you can open an artery with a 1 inch blade. or less if the wrist isn't too fat
I also carry a ESEE Izula-II and a ESEE-3 in my patrol bag... :)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Here in Texas, the law allows for carrying any type of knife.
D. Brian Casady
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:30 pm What do you actually DO with these knives from a tactical standpoint? I see all kinds of folks carrying them - especially LEOs. I'd like to know how often they really need and use them and for what.
Bill,
As a contractor and carpenter I use mine just about every day. Opening boxes, packages, etc. and it's always there when I go into a place where it's not legal in OH to carry a firearm. In OH, carrying knives is perfectly legal as long as it's less than a 4" blade, but a good friend that is a police officer said it's really up to the officer to ticket/ arrest an individual if he or she is carrying something larger than that. He's told me before, it's mainly about the attitude of the individual how things go after a stop. I was just looking at the Buck 110 Automatic. I think I really need one of those. :D

jb 8)

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

In my experience, if you pull out a tiny pen knife in the UK people who see it will comment " are you allowed to have that" the sheeple have been well trained.. :roll:
Idiots like this are partly to blame.
Deputy-Police-and-Crime-Commissioner-Jim-Battle-and-DCI-Debbie-Dooley-from-the-Serious-Crime-Division-manchester-police-31.jpg
Like my father before me I have always carried a knife and always will.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gamekeeper, I am so sorry it has come to this in the U.K. What are your boy Scouts carrying, butter knives?
Guys, I almost always have my Leatherman on me. I find it so much more versatile than just a knife alone.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I carry a Cutco pocket knife with belt clip. I think it's about a 3" blade. They sell them with straight or Double D edge, and I have the Double D edge. The sharpest knife I've ever owned. Lifetime guaranteed against any type of damage, regardless. Also free lifetime sharpening whenever it needs it. It's under $100 and the best money I ever spent on a lock back pocket knife.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

1894c wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:14 am
Grizz wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 pm

and no fixed blades

I also carry a ESEE Izula-II and a ESEE-3 in my patrol bag... :)
I carry this in my car on a short shaft, Zulu style... goes in my pack if there are prying eyes, otherwise it is in hand for stump tosses, etc. Handy Dandy
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 pm I carry a Cutco pocket knife with belt clip. I think it's about a 3" blade. They sell them with straight or Double D edge, and I have the Double D edge. The sharpest knife I've ever owned. Lifetime guaranteed against any type of damage, regardless. Also free lifetime sharpening whenever it needs it. It's under $100 and the best money I ever spent on a lock back pocket knife.
The Cutco kitchen knives are pretty good. That Double D edge slices through anything that I have tried. I think they use 440A steel. Great corrosion resistance and reasonable edge retention.
D. Brian Casady
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I forgot the little Swiss army knife on my keyring, it comes in handy when I don't want to pull out something larger ( mustn't scare the snowflakes). The little pearl handled Joker is one of my favourites, the fixed blade is a cheap Rough Rider just to show scale.
IMG_20200212_203535.jpg
Click to enlarge image.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

These days I seem to prefer fixed blade knives. Even with all of the "easy" methods to open a folder around today I just find that my old hands aren't as fumble free as they once were. Since Christmas this has been my EDC.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jeepnik that looks Classy and darn usable, nice :mrgreen:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:41 am I was just looking at the Buck 110 Automatic. I think I really need one of those. :D

jb 8)
2ndovc -- I completely agree...YOU NEED ONE...and possibly a spare. One cannot have enough knives.

gamekeeper - I like you're selection of pocket cutlery--I also carry a a Swiss Army knife it is the pioneer model (similar to my Camillus US knives that I don't carry anymore), like it better than a multi-tool. By the way I ordered a Mercator Black Cat Knife with the stainless blade... :)
victorinox-pioneer-silver-alox-swiss-army-knife-53960-31.jpg
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:31 pm But.....back to your picture.....people live in those conditions??! I'd be afraid to walk in a dump like that for fear of catching some disease. Best thing for that "place" would be a RPG......--6
I didn't take a pick of the house, you would have to use your imagination to call it a house, and the inside was pretty bad too (ok it was worse than bad). The living conditions among those who are addicted is sad and desperate--substance abuse is very destructive, although you guys already know that...my Doctor keeps my shots up to date, and we wear gloves all the time. And when I get home I take my boots and uniform off in the garage followed by a shower... :(
IMG_0833-copy.jpg
1894c

Post by 1894c »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:47 pm These days I seem to prefer fixed blade knives. Even with all of the "easy" methods to open a folder around today I just find that my old hands aren't as fumble free as they once were. Since Christmas this has been my EDC.
That sir is a very nice knife, great choice, the sheath is nice too... :)
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sounds like an interesting job 1894c.......my hat is off to you.........on my rural street are three cops and a constable... ...one cop just retired as chief of Parkside Pa.....great guy! My neighbor next door is a constable.......is also a great guy but due to health issues can't pass the physical to be a regular cop.....he was telling me that in some houses where he has to look for the bad guy, the people will use one room for trash....for real..too lazy to take it outside....------6
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

1894c I also have a copy of the Camillus US knife mine is by Marbles. My Mercator is stainless too but I might buy the carbon steel one someday, I love the black cat it locks up tight and keeps its edge, it is so slim it carries easy in any pocket or like a Scottish sgian dubh hidden in your stocking. I'll be interested in your assessment of the knife.
IMG_20200212_230215.jpg
Click to enlarge image.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1894c wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 amI use my knife all the time, checking packages or plastic bags wrapped with copious amounts of duct tape for illegal substances, seat belts, opening unknown stuff (usually on the gooey side), prying stuff open, cutting pizza or a donut in half, rope, self-defense, it's a basic tool that's handy to have... :)
I knew it .... it was the DONUTS .....!!!

Seriously, be careful opening 'stuff' - that smuggled elephant-fentanyl is so dangerous just contacting it could kill a person... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:47 pm
1894c wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:09 amI use my knife all the time, checking packages or plastic bags wrapped with copious amounts of duct tape for illegal substances, seat belts, opening unknown stuff (usually on the gooey side), prying stuff open, cutting pizza or a donut in half, rope, self-defense, it's a basic tool that's handy to have... :)
I knew it .... it was the DONUTS .....!!!

Seriously, be careful opening 'stuff' - that smuggled elephant-fentanyl is so dangerous just contacting it could kill a person... :|
That's no BS. A Cleveland officer was doing a search of a vehicle and just touched the stuff and passed right out. Fortunately, his partner realized what had happened and hit him up with several shots of Narcan. Saved his life. I was given some Fentanyl while I was in the hospital for that extended stay. The trache tube was giving me a lot of pain one day more than most and they hit me with some of that stuff. I didn't even have a chance to say goodnight . Boom! like someone flipped an off switch! Nasty stuff.

jb 8)

jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

20200212_201803.jpg
Benchmade Adamas Folder. I've had this for several years. Heavy duty. I've used it on elk a couple times and everyday use. I know Benchmade has had a few issues in the PR department but they sure make nice knives.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Any of that illegal narcotic Pelosi can mess you up or kill you. The bath tub Demerol that was really popular in the early 80s to sometime in the 90s was causing early onset Parkinsons Syndrome. One of the chemicals that could be removed by a legitimate lab was what caused the death of specific brain cells in the Substantia Nigra. That issue was covered during Pharmacology II.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Professor specifically called out an actor by name who has Parkinsons. He was just starting to show symptoms at the time.
D. Brian Casady
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Prolly gonna order the new Swiss Army knife, as I really use a saw blade.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

piller wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:09 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:25 pm I carry a Cutco pocket knife with belt clip. I think it's about a 3" blade. They sell them with straight or Double D edge, and I have the Double D edge. The sharpest knife I've ever owned. Lifetime guaranteed against any type of damage, regardless. Also free lifetime sharpening whenever it needs it. It's under $100 and the best money I ever spent on a lock back pocket knife.
The Cutco kitchen knives are pretty good. That Double D edge slices through anything that I have tried. I think they use 440A steel. Great corrosion resistance and reasonable edge retention.
Yes, my wife has a nice (expensive!) set of Cutco kitchen knives, which was what put me on to Cutco to begin with. I will say that my Cutco folding knife cut myself accidentally more times than any knife I've ever owned! The edge is so sharp that even a slight bump touching my hand resulted in blood draw. I had to learn all over to be extra careful not to even touch the sharp blade edge!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I did the same thing with the kitchen knives.
D. Brian Casady
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 am Prolly gonna order the new Swiss Army knife, as I really use a saw blade.
The Swiss Army Walker has a very slightly shorter wood saw than my full size Swiss Army Knife but I know which one will always be in my pocket.
IMG_20200213_163235.jpg
Click to enlarge image.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

GK:
I found one of these very lightly used on eBay for $38 shipped. 8)

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Product ... .8461.MWCH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill that looks like a cool do it all knife, I like it..... :mrgreen:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The stainless that Victorinox uses is pretty decent. It gets sharp and holds the edge reasonably well. Yes, you can pay more for better performance. Sort of like buying a Porsche instead of a Camry when you never drive over 70 miles per hour. If you have a need for it, yes there are better steel types at a higher price. I have a friction forged knife that has not been used yet. Like driving a Ferrari and never going over 30 miles per hour. I need to test it out.
D. Brian Casady