Model 70 30-06 for the finish

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Model 70 30-06 for the finish

Post by Camel73 »

Pretty near 20 years ago my first rifle was a Winchester 94 30-30.

Not just any Winchester.
A '76 bicentennial.
Engraved.... beautiful,.
An actual levergun I could call my own.

As a child I'd flip through the gun mags at the grandarents while they were having their afternoon nap, near slobbering over the Winchesters and Marlins.

Rising from the ashes of my youth as it were, I really cherished this new to me mechanical wonder in my hands.
The history of the cartridge and rifle together was enchanting. It mesmerized me to no end and lead me deep into google land.

It served me well for many years camping/plinking steel, making great memories with family and friends.
Soon after my initial outings I mounted a Lyman peep on it and never looked back.
I've since made it my cast shooter and am just getting to the good stuff. :)

..,...Moving on.... ... after taking it coyote hunting a few times... I wasn't the John Wayne I thought I was, lol.

After handling a few different rifles, I concluded a Mossberg 100 ATR in .243 for $300 was my ticket to dead dogs. And maybe deer one day.

A Mossberg rifle?!
I knew nothing really, about rifles in general and to this day am happy with the choice I made.
It's light, has an ultra smooth bolt throw and shoots moa with at least two factory loads that I've since forgotten.
Did I mention the trigger? Oh man. Winning.
I've read it's a Savage type barrel nut... if I ever get out to put enough rounds through it to change the barrel......
It's a 2011 so all the kinks we're long worked out.
Being a 22" 10 twist in .243 I got the privilege of learning more about bullet weights. :shock:
55's hammered every dog I ever hit with nary an exit that I could remember. In fact I only ever missed one with that rifle. 400 yards. My bad.
I figure about 20 coyotes to this rifle and lots of camping target fun. It's a big boom so it's exciting for the visitors but doesn't beat the snot out if them.
I've had the same scope on it. A Bushnell Wide Angle 4-16. I had the opportunity to check out a Leopold vx3 on a 22-250 for long enough to know where I live, a .243 is the better choice, and, I'd like a skookum scope again one day.

Again, I googled the rifle and cartridge to death and I don't think that I did so bad after all.
Also, the performance of the .243 was spot on for my purposes and I am now slowly beginning to fanny burp around with the new bullets I got for those smarty pants that keep running to the opposite end of the field I'm at. :evil:
Haven't tried for deer with it yet...

.....One fine day, a 2001 SS Marlin 60 who's action was in rough shape landed in my lap. Hmmm. More reading.
Dude, sweet!

After some tlc it's become a real favorite.
The laminated salt and pepper stock with a Simmons scope, turret calibrated for .22...... I've got a pic somewhere of a few shots out to our 165 yard gong that's as tight as I'll ever need for that distance.
With the action smoothed out and a home trigger job it's really a beautiful thing all around.
This is with rem's 36 grain golden bullet.
I just started playing with other ammo..... :)

Man... three rifles.
Good ones.
A Winchester lever in 30-30 - a capable and effective romantic.
A crazy Mossberg bolt in .243 - instant lazer death, every time
A semiauto .22 - beautiful, accurate, dependable plinker

.......After a couple hairy experiences while camping, our family Mossberg 590 mariner camp shotgun got an action overhaul and I thought to myself... Self, you can do this better.
Voila! A refurb Mossberg persuader/cruiser 500 on a closing out sale.

Action jobby and flashlight - good to go!!
I looked and looked and finally... my shotgun.
If I ever go for birds I'll get the long barrel but I gotta say, I'm pretty happy for now with it as is.
A real pounder that I can knock a 9" plate around with at 50 yards offhand.
Now to start building my own slugs....

To be continued....
Last edited by Camel73 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My first child - '94 30-30
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Model 70 30-06 for the finish

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Well written sir. Thanks for sharing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

These 4 were 15 years in the making.
My core group - that could do most anything I would ever ask within reason.
My memories of how they came to me in the different times of my life are special, and I try to remember them.

The Marlin was given to me because it was a major problem child, by my young brother, who never really got into the firearms end of things.
Grandpooba got it for him....
Now I have to look after it to Grandpooba's standards....
You should see this guy's garage.

.....Enter Norinco JW-15A compact.
Over the years I came to the conclusion that I was still in need of a .22 that, well, I could love on a little more aggressively.

I'll be the first to admit - I'm hard on my stuff.
That's just the way it is and I've come to accept it.

This little guy spoke to me.
After reading up, I ran back to see if it was still there a week later.
The funny thing was that, for some rediculous reason I literally found a 2 piece pool cue case months before that I cleaned up and stuck in the closet for no good reason. :shock:
I chalked it up to one of those "meant to be" things.

Thank you Jesus, this thing was a shooter!!
And handy! And tough as nails!!
A few months beforehand my uncle had given me a wee 2-7 Savage scope he had no use for and it fit like a freakin glove on this Chinese replica of certain Brno/cz rifles.
I couldn't believe my luck.

.......After feasting on squirrel with my nephew one weekend, I thought maybe he'd like his own rifle.
15 year old city boy, and in my eyes was way overdue so I asked my uncle about the gun that the Savage scope came off of.
I had been eyeballing this strange looking thing in his shop for months, collecting dust next to a brand new Savage Mark 1.

A 1968 Mossberg 352kb.
Now a Mossberg .22?!? What the.....
More reading.
As far as I know, last of the "magic" 7 shot magazine rifles that had adjustable feed lips for short, long, and long rifle 22 shells. A fold down forend, little finger grips in the wrist...
And also, supposedly, the fastest semiauto of its time.

Verrrrrry innnnnnteresting!
Especially since the boy's father (days after I got the Mossberg home) let me know that he wanted to buy his son his first rifle.
Well... ok.
I'll get him another one some other time I guess, which might not happen anytime soon, unfortunately.
But fortunately for my nephew, I let him shoot any of my guns as much as he likes.
I got him shouldering my pump for the first time last camping trip...... This kid is going to be fun to hunt with. :D

Certainly, their function in my life has become something different than what they have to offer realistically.
I don't even use them all that often.....
But the memories created with them in the midst of the people I choose to surround myself with are long lasting and meaningful.
I believe those people I've made those memories with don't associate my firearms with threat, but with good times baby!
More so comradery. Safety. Intelligence. Trust.

There was a problem though.
The more guns I got, the more I thought about and studied, and the more I realized I was missing out..
And depriving myself, really.....
But, to me, I was off to a good start, lol.

More continuing......
Last edited by Camel73 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Thanks guys :)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Great post, it's always interesting to hear how other shooters view their firearms of choice and why. I too Google everything before and after I buy anything. :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

That's funny.
Yup, definitely more .22's. :D

The ones I found were not all that expensive - or free for that matter.
Basically, I can own an armfull of sweet .22's for the same price as another rifle (and not an expensive one! :wink: )

Your sweetnesses will differ from mine for sure.....
Personal taste is a funny thing.
It reminds me of a saying. Something along the lines of "Necessity is the mother of invention".
I'm pretty sure I own all my rifles for one reason or another, as frivolous as they might be, lol.

The best part is, I can get them pretty quiet for enjoyable sessions with the family and friends, and, they're a .22... not scary. Pretty much anyone would shoot a .22.
It's the gateway caliber, lol.
Then I ease them in with trailboss loads :twisted:

Now I have suitable shooters for many different scenarios.

After some thought, I figured - self... I'd rather have my boyscout single shot Mossberg with a handy-dandy loading ramp and extra safety in the hands of my supervisor's 13 year old daughter instead of one of my semiauto's with the safety right next to the trigger.
Know what I mean Vern? 8)

Hang in there guys! Only three more measly .22's to go!! lol.

Continuing........
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

This thread is useless without pictures. :wink:
Actually I like your writing. Pictures would be great though.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Memories of my younger days.....
Walking about the woods with rifle in hand. And, in this case, I had company - I couldn't get enough of grandpooba's rabbit stocked cooey 600.
Lol, that crazy rabbit.
I'd sit there in the forest and just look at it.
I'd think of the stories I was told when he was young.
These days, when I think of that rabbit, a lot more comes to mind than an image in a piece of wood.

Funny though. In all this time, I've never killed a rabbit.
While hiking I thought I saw two, ... ...ever.
Haha, wascally wabbits.
The way I see it, It'll give me something to figure out later, when I'm not so busy.

Like many of you I'm sure, I have this neat little gun shop that I like to stop in at, amidst the madness of my day.
I like the feel of this place, and enjoy perusing about there. I have found a few treasures among all the stuff and appreciate the knowledge and friendliness of the staff.

.......This day was one of those days.
I walked in earlier than usual and noticed right away the used gun rack looked different. I wasn't there for anything in particular, but that didn't stop me from sauntering over expectantly.

Nothing was overly interesting to me or gave me that lovin feelin till three-quarters of the way through the rack..... yes, a lovin feeling it was.
It pretty near leapt into my hands, and when I realized what I was holding..... ...well............
Someone may as well have just jumped out of the gun rack and slapped me in the face right there. :shock:
I was actually physically affected, lol.

A 1968 squirrel stocked Glenfield Model 60 with full length barrel and mag tube.
Golden.
Patina'd.
Perfectly worn with muted stories of years gone by...

After I finally snapped out of it, I promptly asked of any known history on it. I was told, earlier that morning an attic find was plopped onto their counter, and the Glenfield was set out about a half an hour before I got there.
Seriously?!

When I got home I pulled all my rifles out and lined them up. Lol, what is happening?!? (With a big smile on my face). These things are beginning to multiply!

........Enough of my young summers were spent scratching about an old and remote farm where I learned to appreciate the simpler things in life. Some of the more vivid memories are breaking fresh chicken eggs in my pockets getting back to the house, almost getting killed by the old sow, and missing a gopher with Grandpa.
I loved every second of it.
Well, except the gopher one. Boy oh boy, did I get an earful after that one.

An old single shot.22.....nice long 26" barrel, plain jane open sights..... Simple.
Cooey Model 75

.......My Pa taught me as much as I could soak in about archery. He taught me stringwalking on his traditional bow untill I busted his rubber deer in half. Ya okay... it was on it's way out a little already but, still, I remember feeling a real sense of accomplishment with my new skill set at that point.
I soon got my own traditional set up, and eventually earned the privilege of his provincial finals compound target bow. Whoa.... dude.
I near shot the strings off that thing! And then I got some more for it 8) Target was great fun..... Gotta be in the blood, haha.

Hmmmm, target rifle eh?
Back to the rack!

What is this here..... hmmmm........ globe front......... mmmm.......... factory tapped for S330 receiver sight........ mmmhmmmm......... extra safety?......... what is that? loading port ramp?!...... wait, that's a duel pin in that globe.......... shiver me timbers.
Another Mossberg.

'68-'71 Mossberg 320BB .22 s-l-lr single shot.
Lol, possibly even a true boyscout target rifle. Who knows. All I know is, I'm grateful. And content.

And done buying .22s for a while :D

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

That's it...
That was the last one, er, second last I suppose.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

HI Great post along with the stories that perked up a few memories from by gone years

ollogger
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Hey all.
Sorry for the wait!!
Since all the down time most of us have been experiencing, I've had a chance to finish what I started.
Lots has been going on this last while for me...

I'm done the writing part, just gotta get some pics goin.
Stay safe.
Go wash somethin.
:wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Great stories and underappreciated guns you got real use from.

Thanks for sharing; you have a writer's gift as well.... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Hearing the old farmers (from out in the middle of nowhere) talk about the old 06 at that kitchen table made an impression on me. I must've been around 8 years old. I remember walking away thinking about their faces. Their big voices. Their clothes.
I only remember because when it came up in the conversation all of a sudden, things changed. I remember looking up, intently fixed upon the group. Their faces were as mine but fixed upon each other's, soaking up the information to be had.
I had not experienced something grab a bunch of men's attention like that before. I think it scared me... remember, my first rifle was in 30-30 lol.

The lever is still my favorite.
Out camping, over the past 20 years in the foothills, I'd hike up and down those forested hills all day long. Mostly just the 94 and myself. A lot of times the weather got really ugly - a lot of very beautiful sunny views were enjoyed too.

My brother and I love to camp and plink steel. One morning, something got me fired up and I grabbed up a handful of Federal 170's.
Fire in the hole!!!
Boom!! 5x5" @50 Whack!
Boom!! Whack! 7x7" a few yards away from the first.
Boom!! a 100 yard 6x11ish" Whack!
I started getting giddy.
As I closed my hand on the smooth lever and the post came up into focus through the Lyman peep, I held on the orange jinglers.
Buck-fifty and a beautiful, calm morning - sun off my right side.
K, find that post. There... now target. Yup. Nice and bright orange. Balance now ..
Boom!! The three pieces that I had tied together jingled and jangled to the rhythm of me chuckling to myself.
I remember holding it out in front of me.. That's my baby.

Shortly after I first got my 94, within a couple boxes of ammo, I set up a target at 250. Definitely moose size groups. I forget what brand I was using but it was an eye opener. I did a lot of learning after that.
Much later I put a couple factory rounds nicely on paper at 300 from prone.
I should have remembered that ammo....

Maybe my big game gun???
Stretching my top ejected 30-30 cartridge - on game - didn't interest me.
Being honest with myself, I realized that I wouldn't want a marginal hit on a big critter 200-250 yards away, or potentially further out in the open.
I am happy with it as it is, for what it is. And in the right hands, it's actually a lot.

Good times.

The idea of an honest, naturally scoped, western big game rifle had intrigued and eluded me for many moons.

I wasn't sure what kind, or even what caliber but the feelers we're out.
Not an outright decision - just feelers. The money tree in the back was looking a little pekid.

Ever hear that saying, champagne taste on a beer budget?

Whenever I was out I would check out the local used racks.
Staring....thinking......
I didn't even really know what I was looking for yet. Just trying to imagine that right fit and balance of how I saw myself using it.
It's gotta speak to me, ha.

I would not have guessed it, untill, there it was.
To me, for my purposes, funny personal reasonings, and my price range.. this thing was perfect.

Winchester's New Haven built Model 70 XTR Sporter
..chambered in 30-06 Springfield.

The more I looked at it, the more boxes I was checking off in my head.

24" matte barrel. Nice.. clean inside too. In fact, I thought the matte bluing was really something.
Extruded synthetic stock.
Don't panic! I'm ok with it.
I wanted to see how it would shoot as it was, and, I could dress it up later - if I wanted to.
It seemed steady.. not too heavy, later to find out it was about 7.5 pounds, with it's rings.and bases.
I liked those numbers.
I appreciated the fact that the lop felt like my 500. Comfy.
What else. Oh... lowly push feed.
M70 push feed? Heaven forbid!
Haha, fine by me.
Hinged floor plate and Winchester's 3 position safety... cool.
I really liked the fact that it was a Winchester -- and a model 70 (even though it wasn't the original/classic version).
It gives a guy a lot to think about.
To me it's like havin more company along than just a rifle.
Kinda like my first Winchester...

What caliber was it again?
......30-06
The memories flooded back of wide eyes and nods of approval from grizzled, hard lined faces.
Ya... this thing seemed about perfect.

I didn't want to leave it haha.
Crappy cheap extruded Winchester push feed 06! ... ;)

To anyone else it probably just looked like a boringly plain piece of plastic.
I kind of liked it actually.... haha. I didn't think it looked all that bad.
If it was in one of those pristine walnut stocks I see, without hardly a speck of dust on it, never mind a dent, ding or scrape, I would feel bad about gettin rowdy with it for sure. The nice stock would also effectively launch it solidly out of my price range.

I sat in my truck wondering what to do.
Something's maybe wrong with it??
Hmmm.
But it seemed in really good shape!
Hmmm
I must have visited it three or four times ..that day ...without leaving the parking lot.

Well..............
I owe, I owe, off to work I go...
Haha

The first shot rocked me back gently.
Recoil? Oh man. I was kicking myself harder than the rifle for not bringing more than one box of ammo for it.
This package is freaking great!

Oh ya, scope.
In genuine fairness of this rifle not being of the historically renowned super grade, walnut, monte carlo, CRF, featherweight flavor - it doesn't get a leupold scope either.
I picked up a used 3-9x40 Burris C4 - locally. It's 14oz 1" tube matched my rings (not sure what bases I have?) and, the price was right.
Elevation was spot-on, dialing up my moa.
In the box came paperwork for custom burned caps for this thing if I want. First one free! haha ..crazy

Time to bring out the table!
The only 30-06 ammo I brought along was a box of 180gr Corelok's.
My new to me Winchester put them into a 1.5" group at 100. Trigger just a wee bit on the heavy side. Eye relief on 9 power? Really solid fit!

The XTR, along for the ride with the .243 ATR at 410 yards was way more fun than I thought it was going to be. Although it actually reminded me of the 94 at 250 the first time.
Moose size lol
All in good time.
My .243 ran 3.5" so it'll be fun to get the '06 tuned up for steel at decent range with my brother. He's a really good shot, and with him shooting that little Mossberg I'll have my work cut out for me.
This is going to be awesome!
Never mind whenever I get my stuff together enough to put some meat down.

Neat! I have an ATR, and an XTR!
I haven't got it covered A to Z.....
A to X will have to do ; D
Along with that, I'm pretty sure my new to me Winchester was born... wait for it ---------- around '94!! (G2038xxx)
Haahaaaa! No way!! Just when my ol' Winchester was celebrating its models' 100 year anniversary!
Oh man....

It never occurred to me that I should own a model 70 --- in 30-06.
It all began wearing out boots with an "old fashioned, last century cartridge" in a rifle that oozed thoughts of people and events long ago.
..I kind of didn't want to give that up.
Others might have gravitated toward a different combination but in my mind - to me - this was the one.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:25 am Great stories and underappreciated guns you got real use from.

Thanks for sharing; you have a writer's gift as well.... 8)
Thanks Doc.
I'm no writer.. just a thoughtful grunt I guess.
I've always appreciated this site though, so just trying to give back how I can at the moment..
I wish I had more leverguns to show but, really it's a tribute to my levergun, and to the people here that I have read, and read, and read some more.

Hope you guys enjoy it.
I know I'm going to enjoy my new Winchester.
...And my old one - as I cook up some fresh Lee soupcans and 170's for it.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
m.A.g.a. !
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Ray wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:01 am Almost but not quite o'connoresque.....

But then again he was an english professor.....

https://www.outdoorlife.com/8-times-jac ... -model-70/
That's funny. Secretly I was keeping my eye out for a .375, but for the sake of usability, in the end, the numbers didn't quite add up for me with that cartridge.

Good article.
After reading it I googled him and found out he was born on January 22nd.
I brought my rifle on January 23rd.
:shock:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks Camel73 for a very interesting and entertaining well written post. It made me think of all the purchases of firearms I have made over the years, some good some not so good. I only wish I still had them all. Even the good the bad and the ugly..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Yes gamekeeper, I let a couple slip through my fingers as well. I suppose it's all part of getting out there and finding the good ones that we look at as wanted.

I don't really believe it's entirely over yet lol
That's this chapter anyhow. :)
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Santa and I were just having a cookie over milk, tossing around the idea of 30-06 to .30 Newton...

Smoke poured from my brain as I kicked back my head in laughter.

By the time the smoke cleared, he was on his merry way.
Thanks a lot Santa.

Merry Christmas Y'all
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Just to update y'all....
So happy!! Haha

I figured that Burris scope would work nice on my chuckster so I ended up slapping a vortex viper 4-16 HS-T on it...
Skookum.

The trigger had to be 7 or 8 pounds.
After adjustment, my pa said it was one of the cleanest, crisp triggers he's ever pulled at 3 or so pounds.

My young cousin came out camping a few weekends ago and with really no shooting experience to speak of, he was pingin the gong at 320 yards with 180's.

I'm super stoked about this thing.
Now that I've happened upon some factory ammo it REALLY likes, i've found that it rivals my .243 -which I think is due for a good deep cleaning.

I can't wait to be hauling this sweet piece around, hot on the trail of some unfortunate hairy thing!

Speaking of sweet pieces...
I thought I was finished, but apparently not!
.... I better start a new thread.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of those squirrell stocked Glenfield 60s with the 18 shot tube magazine. I bought it from a friend of my brother's when I was 16. Back then I could buy ammunition while underage. Our small town was one where the clerks at the store knew your parents. You better not get in trouble! Your parents would know about it instantly.
We had some good times as kids. That sort of fun would get a S.W.A.T. team called on you nowadays, even though it was harmless. Figuring out how to hold and shoot a .22 lr so that you had all 18 shots on a 1 foot target at 25 yards while having 10 to 15 empties in the air at the same time was fun. 15 empties in the air at once was my personal best with a semi-auto .22 lr and using no mechanical help. A local Police Officer stopped once to ask what I was using. I was outside of city limits and he was headed home from work. With his windows down, he heard what he thought was a sub-machine gun. Turned out to be a 17 year old smart-alec with a .22. I showed him the trick. We finished off the brick of .22 and I got to fire his Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum. First centerfire pistol I ever shot. First time he had more than 2 empty pieces of brass in the air at once. I think he got 10 at once.
Used to see the local Game Warden once in a while. He was one of the best shots I have ever met.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

Thanks piller! That was great read.
I wish I had more experiences like that as a kid!
I got my brother a ruger trigger for some crazy unit he's got for Christmas a few years ago.
It sounds like two shots and then he shows me an empty magazine. Wow!
Ive been really happy with my Glenfield. I should look at the buffer again... I just carved one out of a wrecked skid steer track lug for my marlin 60. Works good.