Maybe - an all-around 'utility holster'...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Maybe - an all-around 'utility holster'...

Post by AJMD429 »

Of course for CCW, one needs the BEST holster for the SPECIFIC firearm and BELT LOCATION...

However, many times I'm going to go outside and want the convenience of holstering a handgun, versus taking even a compact levergun like one of my 'Night Scout' projects.

Typically, if it is daytime, little concern, but the 'normal' Cooper Stage Yellow, either the 1970's vintage AMT Government 1911, or the Glock 17, would be holstered, because they are both durable, dependable, and neither will be easy to 'nick' or 'scratch' enough to worry about.

But if it is dark, and I don't elect my Marlin 1894CST 'Night Scout' as a companion, I'll likely want a handgun-with-light. Normally that duty is the 'bedroom' gun in the form of a Taurus PT-92 with rail and Streamlight combination light/green laser, which I'll take outside when appropriate. I like that as a 'house' pistol, since it mirrors my current CCW piece - a Taurus PT-92 without the rail.

So.... what for a holster, for the 'chore' guns - a Glock 17 with rail but no light, and/or a Taurus PT-92 with light/rail....?

Enter (hopefully) the Blackhawk 'Omnivore' - it is a kydex type holster that locks on the LIGHT instead of the trigger-guard. I was not a big fan of the other kydex holsters but this one got my attention.

https://youtu.be/_wETNyJQtHc

Any 'block' on a 'pistol rail' will supposedly lock a gun in to this holster, or at least 150 different models, according to Blackhawk. The 'no-light' models just use a thin 'block' on the rail of a typical semiauto, but the two 'light' models are set up to ALSO accommodate that particular light as a locking device.

The Plan.....

Use my Glock 17 in daytime, with the little 'block' attached to the rail to make it lock in the holster, and use my Taurus PT-92 with Streamlight TlR2 if I have to go out to feed the livestock after dark - using the SAME holster, kept on the belt of my 'chore pants'....

Update to follow once the holster arrives... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Maybe - an all-around 'utility holster'...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a good plan.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Just can't bring myself to buy a plastic holster. I once owned a "nylon" one and felt like I was a cheap date. I prefer something made out of animal hide.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:50 pm Just can't bring myself to buy a plastic holster. I once owned a "nylon" one and felt like I was a cheap date. I prefer something made out of animal hide.
I hear you on that, but when I have a nice full-size 9mm with a great light/laser on it, and I either have to just stick it in my pants and trust to friction, or hope it doesn't fall out of my coveralls pocket (neither carry mode is very appealing with a chambered firearm, either), I want SOMETHING to carry it in when doing chores.

I did have a generic milsurp canvas 'knapsack' of some sort it would go in, but it wasn't something designed for belt-wear, so meant an over-the-shoulder sling.

Plus, I sometimes (daytime) take the Glock 19 out, which I do have some compact and decent leather and nylon holsters for, but at night, I want a handgun with a light. Someday I might get a clip-on one for the Glock and just make that be my 'night chore' handgun [...that sounds sinister doesn't it... :o ] as well as for daytime, so the 'same' holster could work if it would accept a light but still hold the gun without one (not sure I know of such a holster). But now, I will take out the 'nightstand gun' if I go out at night, which is the Taurus 92 with StreamLight, and it of course needs a far different holster (if using a 'conventional' design) than the Glock. I could take out the 92 in daytime too, but when I'm doing something rough I prefer the more durable Glock, and those tend to be daytime chores (splitting firewood, moving hay bales, fixing fences, etc._)

Anyway, I'll let you all know what I think when I get the Plastic Monstrosity.... :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

As a Medical Professional, you should be inclined to carry something that can be sterilized by 4% Chlorhexidine Gluconate. Leather doesn't do so well with that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

For Glocks and other plastic, I like the kydex holsters. I use a Blade Tech Nano for my Glock 19. I really like it.
I have tried the same holster with a 1911 Commander.
It works ok, but just seems wrong.
For my 1911s and Commanders, I will stick with my Milt Sparks SS.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Got the holster and been using it for several weeks now.

Overall satisfied. It is NOT very concealable (not a concern as this is a 'chore' holster for use on my own property), and it is NOT 'pretty' or 'authentic' or 'vintage' or any other 'barbeque' kind of thing, nor is it a 'quick draw' rig. It IS durable, has good retention, and accomodates BOTH of the handguns in apt to want when in 'chore' mode (i.e. not woods-walking, target-shooting, hunting, or troubleexpecting trouble).

The two guns involved are

A Glock-19 - durable daytime chore-gun because it is indestructible, and IF I scratch or even 'destroy' it, a replacement is cheap. I could equip it with a light, but then it would be needlessly bulky.

A Taurus PT-92 ('Beretta clone' but with a far-better 1911-style safety) - with a Streamlight light/green laser combo, making it ideal for twilight/dark use.

The holster works well...

The thumb-button secures the weapon well if wrestling bales of hay, climbing, and so on. I use the off-hand to push it, but you can do it one-handed.

Photos:
20200301_152014-1.jpg
20200301_152203-1.jpg
20200301_152237-1.jpg
Keep in mind this holster is NOT purchased according to the FIREARM model....it is purchased according to the LIGHT model. If you want to holster a light-less gun, you mount the (included) 'fake light' you see on my Glock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.