The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

Ser. # 53987 on the Model 70. Bore and chamber are beautiful, action very smooth.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

And...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred.....that rifle is a pre war, made in '42 according to my book.......many of these rifles were made for the military as sniper rifles.....see any military markings? If not, it's worth about what its priced at.

YOU WON!!!!!!!. GUESS WHAT YOU WIN?????? Mom got a package today...some new 3 quart pot and a set of kitchen knives.......YOU GET THEM ALL.....Just call later and ask mom and she will happily give them to you but I'll probably have to package them......wait...the original shipping boxes are right here....I'll just put your name and address on it.

As I write this I'm laughing like crazy telling mom that you won her new cook wear. She says, "I don't care, you paid for them you idiot, I'll just order more." :D

Jay....I'm going to run your Nazi stuff past my buddy Tom......he is an EXPERT + on this stuff. He has sold many knives and has them that are worth in the 15-20 thou bracket.....one was personally given to a U boat commander by Admiral Doenitz.

Anyway, Old Savage, here's your prizes .....I love giving other people's possessions away. Poor Pitchy lost everything. I recently sold his tractor for $4,000. ---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Years ago I would have nought it but doesn't fit in right now.

Wow, a cookware bonanza.

Here is the knife block.

Oops, missed these two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey, thanks buddy.

OS,
You have more willpower than me. I probably would have lugged that 70 home. :D
Hey, you're the big winner. Now Six has to buy more cookware.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Did that one time before with an early 60s Model 70.

I have a 1988 vintage that shoots everything very accurately.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow! This is exciting...taking pictures of cookwear.......I should have known I couldn't outdo Old Savage with the knives.....he has alllllllllllll of the quality stuff.

Fred...what do you do with those bananas? Tsk, tsk

Well, just got off the phone....decided to bunk the match...gonna be 25 in the a.m. With 15 mph winds...screw dat.....there was a time when I would be the first one there in a 10 degree blizzard. The days are winding down

Spent pretty much the whole day out back making sure the 1894 Marlin in 44-40 was "on the money" out to 150....the furthest I can get............--6

Hey Jay...what's this for? I thought it was a depth gauge but it don't make sense.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, I saw no military markings but I will further check. Nothing like that seems to be popular now. There is also a Rem 141, well used.

I do have quite a few knives, nothing particularly expensive. But really anything I have done could have been with this $20 Old Hickory and a picket knife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred...I think tomorrow I'm gonna get out the cookwear and take some pics.....we probably have enough to fill up a pick up truck.

Knives? Mom probably has 50 of them.....she gets a new one, uses it and throws it in the drawer when it gets dull...then buys more....I'll,sharpen them but she just wants new ones...I don't argue as you don't mess with an Italian woman who has 50 knives.

Ahhhh...midnight...too cold to hit the match tomorrow. Woodstove is going ....dogs on the couch watching Fox with me....mom on the other couch with her dog....full belly of fish, vegetables and orange juice.....getting tired...tired.......

Got,my Jeep all loaded up for the match so it looks like I got to unload it whenever I decide to get up.....tired....
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well the knives should be in a knife block. Rule here is knives only touch food and wood. Nobody here messes with the Knife Rules. All the knives here are always sharp. We do have a couple utility ones that are not sharpened. That small paring knife is one. Very useful, Pat broke the tip off. I just smoothed it.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Too windy for a match?- come up and watch Parker find birds!

OS, you have implemented good rules! However don't turn up your nose at plastic cutting boards. Nice thing is they can go into the dishwasher to be sterilized.

Huh, seems there are a few 'witless witnesses ' loosing their jobs. Reassignment of Vindmen, boy he just looks like a nitwit!

Oh well, coffee time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man! I crashed last night. Missed another movie. :D
After coffee I have to go out and clean up snow.....again.

Hey Six,
That is a "micrometer head". It is used to attach to a machine tool or fixture in a case where something has to be accurately located for a machining operation.
Kind if like a "precision workstop". It can also be used to measure something as it is machined down without having to remove and re-locate a workpiece.
The machined surface at the front of the barrel is where it attaches.
It's a Starrett, which excellent stuff.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well GM, nothing against plastic cutting boards just that wood is all we have ever had.

Here is our first one 45 years old. In 1990 after I first sighted in my Model 70 I stamped the sight in target into the board with a 30-06 case. Final five are at the bottom. It has not been changed in about 1250 rds.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pretty cool OS!
I have a model 70 XTR Featherweight in 06. It is a CRAZY shooter. The zero never moves.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wood boards are great, don't get me wrong! I usually use my big plastic boards for butchering deer. The small plastic boards for poultry.
Nice group!

Put out 6 birds this morning, Parker found all of them, I tried to let the other guy get his own shots but when you miss every time the Mighty 28 is going to bark and birds are gonna die!

One of the other guys produced a bottle of Bird Dog Blackberry whiskey, boy that is tasty!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: It's a Starrett, which excellent stuff.
Well Jay...thank you my friend......it looks new and I have zero use for it.......you want it? Next time I send something up I'll throw it in there......

I also have this complete box of hones with fixtures....I'll take a picture of it later......just trying to rid myself of 45 years of accumulation......

Blackberry whiskey?????? Oh man, I'd love to try that out...in fact, I'd love to try out anything with alcohol in it...but I can't.....yea, I'm one of those guys who don't stop chugging the bottle until it's empty. Good to see you and the dogs had a great day.........I'm miserable....planned for the match .....didn't go because of the cold.......couldn't get to sleep until 4....got up after 12......---14
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Six, alcoholism runs in my family. I am fortunate that it missed me. I probably pour out three-fourths of whatever I put in a shot glass. 1 or 2 sips of even things I really like is enough for a couple of months. I have some 10 year old bottles of good whiskey that are barely touched. Not any reason to it. Just a sip or two and that is all I want.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey thanks buddy. That would be awesome. I can make a drop mic out of it. I appreciate it.
I'm sure I will end up buying something off you at some point. :D
Would really like to get down for another visit at some point, too. Wish it wasn't so @$&!# far!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well that's easy! You guys just meet here on neutral territory and all 3 of us will go to Tom's and raid his safe! :lol: I dont have his address but I know how to get to his town, i bet Six has his address though! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Six, I definitely understand about the fair weather matches... Today would have been a perfect day... but, I had to watch the guys that were finishing the last bit of work installing the new soffits and eaves around the house. Paint was today, went from a dark brown, to a light cream color, not quite as light as I expected, but, the eaves and patio are just SO much lighter now. Installed new lights in the eaves for the front walk, like them so much I'm going to replace the patio lights... Unfortunately, tomorrow is supposed the be rain... another match next weekend holds promise!

I'm going to make a new wood cutting board, (the old one is nearly 50 years old); but the glass one that stays on the counter is very good, I like it much, much better than the plastic ones.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Come on over boys! Let me introduce ya to Marlin he is a165 pound Doberman. He failed out of obedience school something about that doesn’t play well with others. Oh it’ll be fine I am sure y’all will get along. :twisted:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Been loading match .223's all day and organizing my tang sights and other stupid stuff. I'm ready for the match next weekend.....yea Griff...I'll go if the weathers fair....

Gunny......here's the plan.......call Jay and tell him to bring .....you know...that special coat....you and him stop by and pick me up...if Griff wants to come, cool...but he's going to have to find his way here....

Anyway, when we all get in Jays Jeep we will stop next door at my in laws and grab a hind quarter of black angus and from there over to Tom's.....I'll keep Tom busy outside, Griff will be behind the wheel of the getaway Jeep...Jay and Gunny will grab the hind quarter and go right n the house and pet Marlin on the head and then give him his prize chunk of meat. While Gunny is keeping tabs on Marlin, Jay will sneak over to the gun safe with his huge coat on and load up, sleeves and all.

Then we wIll bid Tom farewell and Griff will smoke the tires. From there it's back to my house, unload everything from Jays coat and you guys can go home. .....and just stay at home for at least a year or two until things smoothen over.

Sounds like a plan!!!---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dobermans don't scare me none- I've bitten them before! Besides Marlin lives with 2 labradors so you know he has become a happy go lucky pooch through osmosis! :D

Glass!? Sure way to ruin a cutting edge!

Oscars tonight, up for best movie is The Coat. It's a story of how a buffalo calf grew to be a herd bull only to shot by white hunters for his tongue. Then some enterprising young buck turn him into a coat, the rest as they say is history!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Woo! Fifteen below this morning. Little nippy.
That's some big doggies. :shock:

Wow! I had no idea that's where the coat came from.
I bought it at a lawn sale in West Athens for 2 bucks about 10 years ago. The old guy said it had a "power", but I thought he meant the smell. And, of course, he was dressed in underwear and a top hat. So........ :shock:
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I always give credit where credit is due and Gunny......you get alllll the credit and the "credits" for your new movie...(yea, it's yours) ..."The Coat" is gonna be a big one.......such an enterprising mind........dang Gunny, that's good. :D Who's going to be the "star" .......you know, the one who actually has the brains to make use of the hide?

Then there's going to be victims from "the coat".....

Ya think we could get bit parts in it? As you know EVERY movie has to have females in it that are scantily dressed so Old Savage will be the procurer of dat......

Sure is nice outside...sunny, little wind.....sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet , I'm gonna get dressed and have my coffee out back.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gee I'll have to think about who to cast for parts - wont be any hypocritical antigun actors , of that you can be sure!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

So Gunny, you are trying to tell me THIS doesn't scare you ???? 😨

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A doby in a sweater? I'd be more scared after a 3 day drunk in los vagas and waking up with a ring on my finger :lol:

Leading man- Chris Pratt . Yes to play our loveable klepto OldWin !!
I'm thinking Tom Selleck to play Sixgun. Would have been Charlton Heston but...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Whoa...on the leading man to play Jay........

I say it's this guy:

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wait just a minute, Robin Hood was a liberal!
Think about it, he stole from the rich and gave to the poor. Just not gonna work here, he will be constantly complaining to HR, calling peta when the buffalo gets shot. Not to mention his "merry men " prancing around!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well...screw the movie we were gonna make....I couldn't find a taxidermist who would tan the hide and the coatmaker wanted 2 Winchesters and a Colt to make it.

Gunny, Jay, Tom, Griff.....(I know this ain't Fred's bag).......either one of you interested in this......a machinists hone set...lots of the stones look new. There's also a funny looking micrometer in there that's starts after 2 inches. Works perfect......if you are, throw a low number and if not interested I'll drop it off at the auction house next week along with a wheelbarrow load of reloading scales, presses, dies and other stuff I'm tired of looking at...---6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:13 pmWell...screw the movie we were gonna make....I couldn't find a taxidermist who would tan the hide and the coatmaker wanted 2 Winchesters and a Colt to make it.
Gunny, Jay, Tom, Griff.....(I know this ain't Fred's bag).......either one of you interested in this......a machinists hone set...lots of the stones look new. There's also a funny looking micrometer in there that's starts after 2 inches. Works perfect......if you are, throw a low number and if not interested I'll drop it off at the auction house next week along with a wheelbarrow load of reloading scales, presses, dies and other stuff I'm tired of looking at...---6
Dies? Did you say dies? I'm looking for a set of .32-40 dies... maybe .38-55 if my hunt for .32-40 1885 continues in the same lack of success I've been getting the last few months!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nothing I really have a use for, Six. Thanks for thinking of us, though.
Man. A movie?
You think the public is ready for something like that? :D
Be kinda like our own version of Dead River Rough Cut. :D
Any carbide dies in that pile? Maybe .44 or 45 Colt?
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Naaa..thanks guys...just wanted to run it by you before I got rid of the hones....

..............I must have 30 sets of new dies, mostly RCBS in high pressure cartridges....like weatherbys, 280's, some bench rest cartridges.....I can't remember....I had a list....will take pics tomorrow.....

Just watched "death wish 3"....Charles Bronson uses a 475 Wildly......he mows down a mess of punks with a 1919 Browning.....poorly made movie.......
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Man, I am watchin the oscars waitin for political speeches. Carville must have scared them .but we are only on make up etc.

I want some fire works :P

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks for the offer Jack but I have no clue what that home thingie is for. Fraud I might hurt myself with em.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:22 pm Man, I am watchin the oscars waitin for political speeches. Carville must have scared them .but we are only on make up etc.

I want some fire works :P
I remember when good Ole Old Savage was a Good Ole Boy in the Gun Room Post. His last post was something about watching the Oscars. :D

It was briefly on here and as soon as Brad Ditt mentioned something about Bolten I ORDERED mom to change the channel....after flipping the channel she flipped me the bird.

Hey...go look up what Adam Sandler said about tonight's Oscars......his bad words make mine look like I'm an alter boy.. ADAM is now MY PAL......never knew he hated the Hollywood elite.----6.....o.......de dude
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six that looks like cylinder hones, for engine work. I have no use for them.

Nor do I need any dies, I have dies for everything I own, if I got more dies then I'd need guns to go with them!

More life- more power---- I'm not buying Duracell anymore! Almost as bad as those stupid emu commercials!

So OS are you giving us a rundown of the winners/ whiners?( Honestly I don't care)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well fellas, what is in the other team's play book? Where is their weakness. This crowd usually parades it for the world to see but their Achilles heel is ratings and they have taken it on the chin repeatedly.

So tonight what was said? Almost nada! Joachim Phoenix had a rambling nonsensical complaint about something. A foreign film won best picture. Jane Fonda was afraid to say a word and De Niro was frozen out. It was 2 1/2 hours of technical awards then they ripped through best actor, actress and picture. I will be interested to see the ratings. Their political guru Carville called them all idiots a couple days ago. Brad Pitt said something he is being lambasted for, missed that.

The upshot is they are snake bit, scared to mouth off. Politically, that these polls that show unprecedented black and Hispanic support for Trump have them really scared is the take of some. Impeachment was a a predictable foolish flop. They may still try to ride that pony. My daughter having been a guest at the Emmys was interested in the "fashion".

But, the wind is out of their sails for the moment. Reporting live from my living room, your eye on the Hollywood pulse, OS 😋

Overall, Carmello was unimpressed. He gave it a big three paws down.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, here is the price tag for an Oscar after party. But you can get momma this stainless frying pan like mine for a low, low $69 or is it $89.

Btw, it costs about 10 mil to suit up an A list actress for the red carpet.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's the best report of any howy-weird awards show I've ever read! Well Done!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well GMack been there a few times. I have a good friend who is a screen writer that went high school there. He is a conservative and gives it to them constantly and it is weird but SoCal has a lot of weird stuff and regular stuff. Have taken care of some stunt men and they are a different crowd. There is much more variance here than back east where I grew up.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred...EXCELLENT report...for real.....I only get my "news" from the news and with you I get a first hand account...well done! Do you get to see these people on the street from time to time......they are my heroes.....(tongue in cheek)

Brad Pitt really disappointed me......he always plays conservative roles and its out of character for him to make that remark......my wife says it was a jab at conservative Angelina Jolie and her papa. Beginning to understand why Angelina left him.

Did Gunny watch it?...or was it past his bedtime? No Gunny, don't think they are cylinder hones....too small, except chain saws and who rebuilds chain saw or lawnmower? Dunno.....it belonged to a one time machinist...DGS as Old Savage calls it..."Dead Guys Stuff" :D

After Death Wish 3 we watched Death Wish 4......that was put together a bit better than 3 but still was mindless....lots of babes though.....Charles Bronson gets a rocket launcher and rockets through the mail!!!! Ha! Hollywood.

No more frying pans Fred. :D .....I don't encourage someone who already has a pretty much free bank account to buy what she wants within reason.....

LOVE THE DOG........---6

My daughter called and is on her way over...my bp just jumped 20 points.......her and I are identical ...both nuts....
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a brother-in-law who was a script writer and set designer for "Days Of Our Lives". He is now a licensed counsellor who helps those who are HIV positive. His Husband/Partner is a decent sort. We can all have a friendly conversation without getting into an argument. We know we disagree on some things, and we know to not accuse each other of anything ridiculous. They are not the sort that the media would have you believe are the only sort there. Politically, they are both close to the middle of the road. Conservative fiscally, Liberal on many social issues - though not all. Willing to discuss issues and ask questions and listen to the answer. In fact, both Jim and Robert can and have been in Dallas without any difficulty with cultural differences.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Here is what every man should inspire his daughter to be like....a college educated (masters in bio-chemistry) American patriot with an unusual character trait of conservatism who likes guns and believes that by helping the lazy...but is all for helping the disadvantaged...... will only lead to our downward spiral into socialism.......

My son left his LWRC Reaper CSASS .308 here for me to play with but I decided to give it to her for being first on a page.....(well, first in the dooryard today) I love giving things that belong to other people away.....yea, 3/4 Italian

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Super Six and IIRC she also has a Jeep.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow. Busy here today.
The conversation reminds me why I don't watch the news or read the paper. Everyone is misrepresented and it's all lies and propaganda.
When you talk to a lot of people who you figure will be big super liberals, you find that many aren't all that different than you are. There is much more common ground than you are led to believe.
Great pic of your daughter Six. You left out an important stat in the bio. This squared away lady is also a Jeep owner. What more needs to be said?
Seeing a successful and strong adult is the true reward of parenthood. You and Mom must be very proud.

Doh! OS hit "submit" before me
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bite your tongue! Did I watch the Oscar's- what a stupid question, geeze you should know better than that and yes I was watching my eyelids!! :lol:
Quite a pretty daughter you have there Six! Has a job, drives a new Jeep- you need a son in law gunsmith!! :D

Ran some errands this morning, spent the past couple hours getting the Dillon swapped over from 28 to 12 ga. Loaded a couple hundred. Going to try to load as much as possible before the season starts next month.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Two things, lowest viewership ever for the Oscars.

And, good news Six, light at the end of the tunnel. I think we are at the end of the frying pan road. Only one more to be revealed.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks guys....she's reading the responses.......My vote goes to Gunny and I told her so.....Old Savage is the last on the list as he already has a harem.......but his lifestyle is very attracting...golf course, pools.........you guys could move into the new addition (f there was one) and Gunny could go to work down in the Gun Room even though I can't think of any guns that need smithing.....but I'll find something for you to do......painting, yard work, change the oil in the fleet of Jeeps....things of that nature....hit gunshows on the weekend....ammo bearer at the matches.......boot polisher......wood splitter.......belt buckle organizer......

Getting ready for Trump rally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7 pm est.--6