red dot sights.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

red dot sights.

Post by rossim92 »

Anybody know of a good trustworthy site that sells used red dot sights besides ebay? looking for a decent one, especially a vortex, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg for ocassoinal plinking. thanks
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: red dot sights.

Post by AJMD429 »

That I don't know, but I've seen new ones of reputable brands for sale under $100, and I've used some under-$50 'generic' ones for several years with no problem, although I'd hesitate to use them for life-critical duty or high-recoil guns used in inclement weather, etc. You might check out the Palmetto State Armory website - they had some decent ones on sale there.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You might find a used one somewhere-- although good red dot sights are the sort of thing most folks won't sell used because even if they sell the gun it's on they can so easily swap it to another. Besides, buying one used is sort of a "pig in a poke" proposition. Palmetto State usually has the very excellent SIG Romeo 5 for around $120, sometimes less.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Not used but.....

we have several of these on various firearms.....

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arm ... base-gen-2
m.A.g.a. !
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

just bought a new vortex sparc red dot with 2 moa for 130 bucks free shipping from palmetto state armory . sometimes u have to shop around for deals . thanks for info gentleman.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

$119 for these new - I have been really impressed with mine, other than the rubber lens caps I don't really use. https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sau ... 52001.html
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I never liked the fuzziness of a red dot. I see 3 dots with even the best ones. The bottom red dot on the right side of the isoseles triangle of 3 red splotches is the correct one. Yes, I have an astigmatism.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:08 pm I never liked the fuzziness of a red dot. I see 3 dots with even the best ones. The bottom red dot on the right side of the isoseles triangle of 3 red splotches is the correct one. Yes, I have an astigmatism.
I thought my SPARC had gone tits up because the dot was spread out and nasty...turned out all it needed was another battery.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

They're cheap enough new that selling one used wont get the seller much money. I've had the same Tasco red dot scope on my Hi Standard match pistol for 30 years now and it was well under $100 back then. It's never given me an ounce of trouble.
Not sure if you're looking for a red dot "scope" or one of the latest HUD type red dots? But if it's the scope they certainly aren't high priced new. Mine was I believe about $75 then, and the same scope is $35 today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Box-Tasco ... SwkAxeHzEA
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have looked at several of the Sig Ramero's and for the money I think they are very good.
I have an Aim Point H1 for sale in the Classifieds here, but it's more expensive. I will say that the Aim Point is a very good red dot sight and I was impressed as to how precise and reliable the windage and elevation adjustments are. The Aimpoint is a fine sight, but the advantages are not really there for me, in particular, and I also tried scout scopes a couple of times, and found them not really to my liking and no faster then a traditional low powered scope.

However, in my opinion, all red dots and also scout scopes should not probably be used much by people who have their Master eye on the wrong side. This is my problem, so I am going back to traditional scopes or just staying with iron sights on about all of my guns. However, I did shoot a shotgun with a Burris Fastfire III on it, mounted pretty close to the eye, and actually, it worked pretty good for clay targets and geese
NRA Life Member, Patron
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:08 pm I never liked the fuzziness of a red dot. I see 3 dots with even the best ones. The bottom red dot on the right side of the isoseles triangle of 3 red splotches is the correct one. Yes, I have an astigmatism.
Do you see three crosshairs with a scope then, or it If just with 'lights' that it happens...? I know I often see (using just one eye) a pair of close dots but for me it also happens with crosshairs. I think I have mild astigmatism as well.

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:13 pm They're cheap enough new that selling one used wont get the seller much money. I've had the same Tasco red dot scope on my Hi Standard match pistol for 30 years now and it was well under $100 back then. It's never given me an ounce of trouble.
Not sure if you're looking for a red dot "scope" or one of the latest HUD type red dots? But if it's the scope they certainly aren't high priced new. Mine was I believe about $75 then, and the same scope is $35 today.

i think i will get this for my .22 levergun
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I see 3 sets of crosshairs, but the red light makes things worse. Red is too many competing colors, and it can never be fine tuned to where I see a sharp line or dot with red. Ultraviolet, orange, blue, green, or yellow can all give sharp lines. Yes, I do see some ultraviolet.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

rossim92 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:20 am
marlinman93 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:13 pm They're cheap enough new that selling one used wont get the seller much money. I've had the same Tasco red dot scope on my Hi Standard match pistol for 30 years now and it was well under $100 back then. It's never given me an ounce of trouble.

i think i will get this for my .22 levergun
Before you buy it, you might also consider the 30mm version. For a .22 rifle it's a little smaller field of view, but smaller diameter too. Might work even better. Slightly cheaper also, unless shipping eats up the difference.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/tasco-1x30-22-reddot.html
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:42 am I see 3 sets of crosshairs, but the red light makes things worse. Red is too many competing colors, and it can never be fine tuned to where I see a sharp line or dot with red. Ultraviolet, orange, blue, green, or yellow can all give sharp lines. Yes, I do see some ultraviolet.
It isn't a 'top-notch' sight, but I do have a Tru-Glo 'dot' sight that has different colors, and perhaps you could use one like that, that has a green or orange or yellow dot. There also are the ACOG sights that have green dots or other aiming points, and I forget the brand but I have one that has an orange triangle.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I do use the green ones. The correct dot shows up sharply to me.
D. Brian Casady
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Check out the classifieds at AR15.com. Many optics there, scopes, red dots, etc., like new, at great prices.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail