no more Miroku '66s?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

no more Miroku '66s?

Post by KWK »

I looked over and admired a Miroku '66 Short Rifle at a local store last month but didn't find .38 an interesting choice in it. I looked on Winchester's site to see what else might be available and was surprised to see all '66 models are listed as discontinued. I thought they might introduce a different configuration at the SHOT Show, but no. Sorry to see them go, if they are indeed done. Anyone heard anything about Winchester's plans?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: no more Miroku '66s?

Post by gamekeeper »

That will mean more sales for Uberti if correct, I used to have a Uberti 66 carbine, it was ok but I never liked the sights.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Miroku put a similar sight on both the Short and Deluxe Octagon rifles. I wasn't wild about that style but could live with it. Uberti on their Short Rifle uses a simple step elevator sight, and those one can sometimes reverse for more eye relief--depends on the barrel contour.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

This back from Winchester: "Unfortunately, the model 1866 has been discontinued for this season. Hopefully it is something we are able to bring back in the future."

Too bad, I did like their particular Short Rifle configuration.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Wish they would make them in 44 Henry Rimfire...and make a bunch of low pressure ammo to go with it.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

That would be sweet, but I can't see it happening. CAS guys would be the biggest market, and they mostly reload, I think. Still, the Henry is basically a quintuple .22 LR; call it 40 cents a round. Or you could consider it a low volume .45 ACP, which is also about 40 cents. So, $20/box. Then get Uberti to make a run of 1860 and '66 with the carrier area at the original length. Yeah, we can dream...
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Too bad they're discontinuing it. My hopes of them making a 1876 have now been somewhat diminished by this bad news.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Winchester and Browning both are kind of flakey on their Miroku orders. One metric they may be using to guide their ordering plans is the decline of the CAS sport.
Our local club is down to about eight active members from something like 80 or more 15 years ago. Apparently has something to do with the gang that owned SASS running it like a cash cow.