Sako AI HB 6mm PPC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Sako AI HB 6mm PPC

Post by 6pt-sika »

Yesterday I was on an internet auction site and bought a circa 1988 Sako AI HB single shot in 6mm PPC . Gun looks to have been used very little if at all . They only made these three years and this one is a second year gun . It’s got a rather large B&L variable from about the same time period I think this scope is an 8-32x or something along those lines . I dipped in the 6mm PPC game about thirty years ago , had a Ruger 77 MK-II VT in 6mm PPC this was one of the Grey stainless laminated jobs . That gun was an easy five shots at 100 yards in a 1/4” . Hopefully this Sako will cut that in half or better . After I won the auction I ordered a Redding three die set and a Forster micro seating die . Tommorrow I’m going to order 100 pieces of Norma brass and a 1,000 box of Berger 68 gr FB Target Match bullets . May lay in an 8 pounder of VV N-133 as well . Hopefully I’ll have the entire mess in hand in two weeks !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Sako AI HB 6mm PPC

Post by gamekeeper »

Please be sure to let us see it when it arrives..... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:38 am Please be sure to let us see it when it arrives..... :D
I got the rifle/scope combo for what I thought was a very very good price !

But when I added up the cost of dies , 100 pieces Norma brass and a 1,000 Berger Match bullets my cost had almost doubled :roll:
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I had a whole collection of A1 Sakos......22PPC, 6PPC, 222 and 223.....All I have left is the 6PPC.....Fantastic accurate rifles all of them. The 6PPC would hold court with my custom benchrest rifles.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rbertalotto wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 pm I had a whole collection of A1 Sakos......22PPC, 6PPC, 222 and 223.....All I have left is the 6PPC.....Fantastic accurate rifles all of them. The 6PPC would hold court with my custom benchrest rifles.
The big question is what kinda shape this thing is in on the inside !

Also if I can get the trigger down to a weight or lack there of I find acceptable .

Truth be told I got this rifle scoped for less than what they cost new 30+ years ago 8)
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

The "True" heavy barrel A1 Sako had a great adjustable trigger with holes through the trigger guard to access the adjustments. Does your rifle offer this?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rbertalotto wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:30 pm The "True" heavy barrel A1 Sako had a great adjustable trigger with holes through the trigger guard to access the adjustments. Does your rifle offer this?
This gun is a heavy barrel with the slightly wider beavertail forend . It’s also a “B” prefix gun . The pictures on the auction site were okay but didn’t show that view . But to the best of my knowledge they only made one style PPC with an HB . There was an “A” prefix rifle in the auction as well that had a Leupold Competition scope on top , that one brought the replacement cost for the scope . They should have my funds Wednesday and I’m hoping the gun gets to me next week , then I’ll know for certain if it was a good deal or not .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The fixins arrived for the PPC today !
7A404DC3-EEA2-499A-98E9-CAE1D5D9C13A.jpeg
3B218427-3CC8-402D-9C71-A2C240826288.jpeg
EF0D5B3D-3132-40CD-B837-7A01D9613524.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got an email from the auction house the rifles being picked up by UPS today . So I should have in hand by Tuesday I’d say :wink:
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

6 Point......
Your new acquisition sounds like it would be competitive at our 200, 300, 385, and 500 meter half scale benchrest silhouette matches. We shoot the smaller "pistol caliber" half scale animals...chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams at the above mentioned distances. It's all done on time and commands.....in three years no one has got a 40 x 40 and these guys use $3-5,000 set ups mostly in 6.5 Creedmore, 6 and 7mm benchrest, and a few guys like me, the .223. My best is a 32 x 40 using a completely stock Colt AR.....yea, I get laughs but I'm a ball buster determined to beat the "elites" using a common rifle against their blue printed actions, 30" bull barrels with diamond lapping and Nightforce scopes along with 8 ounce triggers.

We use a front rest but no rear bag.

As you know, if your not using a high BC bullet, your not going to consistently hit the turkeys or rams.

We have a blast....be happy to show you the ropes if you ever need anything to do on the third Saturday of the month.---6

Www.atglensportsmensclub.org
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I wouldn’t mind venturing up to Atglen only thing is I’ve gotta put my pop somewhere if I’m gonna be gone long enough to drive up hang out three or four hours and drive back .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It arrived Tuesday . The scope turned out to be a B&L 4000 Elite 36x .
A942E4CA-B815-4CAC-92BF-662359045744.jpeg
5A7A2321-8C59-4197-B86E-4D9CD522BE31.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Any trigger adjustment holes in the trigger guard?

Actually, I think I can see a hole in the picture. If it has the full adjustable trigger, and you paid under $1500....You stole it!

The B&L 4000 is a fantastic scope. Nothing like it in the prairie dog fields to contrast the brown of a PD against the brown dirt. Better than any other scope I ever used in the fields.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rbertalotto wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:21 am Any trigger adjustment holes in the trigger guard?

Actually, I think I can see a hole in the picture. If it has the full adjustable trigger, and you paid under $1500....You stole it!

The B&L 4000 is a fantastic scope. Nothing like it in the prairie dog fields to contrast the brown of a PD against the brown dirt. Better than any other scope I ever used in the fields.
Yes it has the two holes . But I can’t get it below 14 or 15 ounces and have the sear hold . My gunsmith buddy thinks we can take it out the stock make an adjustment and use the accessible screws for fine tuning . I’d like it do be down in the 4-6 ounce area .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I haven’t shot this Sako yet but I already am having thoughts that I need to find another but in 22 PPC :roll:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve got Berger and Bart’s 52 grainers for the 222 and the 68 Berger’s above for the 6mm PPC but I’m thinking if I don’t buy much at Rock Island this week I might go ahead and order 1,000 of one or two varieties of Bart’s 6mm 68 grainers .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

As to the scope on the Sako it appears used but in very nice shape . It’s no secret I have a preference for the old Leupold 24x and 36x BR scopes for punching holes in paper and I have two of each magnification . But I now have this B&L 36x and a very lightly used Weaver 36x LNIB . The auction I got the Dako from had a second PPC with a Leupold Competition scope on top I assume it was 45x . I was late turning my phone on for the auction and missed out on that gun it was also a first year production 6 PPC , but the hammer dropped on it for just $200 more than what I paid for the one I bought . I might add the one I wasn’t able to bid on actually had some decent figure in the buttstock which is slightly unusual for these guns or atleast all of those I’ve looked at .
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Good for you. I have a second year as well. It can out shoot me just about all the time! Mine came with the Leopold 36X BR. Love shooting this rifle! Only issue is the ranges in my area are limited to 100 - 200 meters and the 200s are rare!
Enjoy!
Pierre
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

pdentrem wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 pm Good for you. I have a second year as well. It can out shoot me just about all the time! Mine came with the Leopold 36X BR. Love shooting this rifle! Only issue is the ranges in my area are limited to 100 - 200 meters and the 200s are rare!
Enjoy!
Pierre
I suspect this one will be shot mostly at 100 and perhaps some at 200 . I have two HB 222’s with Leupold 36x BR’s on top . The one on the CZ 222 might get swapped over to this PPC ! What’s the trigger set on yours ? I hope to get mine to less than 10 ounces .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got to the range this Morning at 8AM it was about 35 I think . Got the PPC and 222 on paper ready for groups at 100 yards . Shot two five shot groups with the 222 and both were ragged all be it large one hole groups . Started the first five shot group with the PPC after shooting nine times to get it where I wanted it at 100 yards . Shot the first three in the first group in a nice one hole group , loaddd the fourth and closed the bolt but the seat dropped , levered the bolt up and back down and said gun went BOOM , so I shot the fifth shot that was back beside the first three . By then my hands were cold so I packed up went to the pistol range and shot my Kimber 1911 4” 100 times and went to the shop . We’ll get the trigger figured out next week .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just got in from the range . Shot eight groups with the PPC and eight or nine with the 222 . A friend was there and took a picture of the best PPC group and ran it thru an APP on his phone . Looks like the gun has promise !
0A6FA03A-45DE-478B-895A-1C6BAAF241A1.png
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

That was with a 68 grain Berger by the way .
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Sorry just saw your question.
I have not messed with the trigger and had never put scale to it. I knew to was nearer 2 pounds, so I just tried it. Exactly 32 ounces! It breaks like a glass rod though. I may move it down if I ever get through all the other projects already only half done!
Nice target results! The previous owner had included a typical target for him at .375” average. I have come very close to this but never beat it to date. I really need to shoot it more as I have all the fixings.
Pierre