I really dislike striker-fired handguns....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I really dislike striker-fired handguns....

Post by AJMD429 »

....and yes, I know they usually work ok, and that even exposed-hammer guns can misfire, but overall, I like to SEE what is going on, and be in CONTROL of it, as with a 1911, or a Taurus 92, where you can SEE the hammer, and it is either NOT under spring tension, or if it is, you have some definitive locks to prevent hammer-fall. A 'striker' is just too invisible for me to trust, because like ANY mechanical thing, it can malfunction. :evil:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ol ... g-with-dad
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I really dislike striker-fired handguns....

Post by Twodot »

that incident wasn't the guns fault.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Technically a Glock is not a true striker-fired semi-auto, but I've tired of arguing the difference.

More to this particular story than what's being told.

It is possible in theory for a Glock to fire without pulling the trigger.

It's in the same category as me running a six minute mile (green suit days I could eights and nines, but that was twenty plus years ago)

I'm pretty familiar with the innards of these critters - used and owned since '86

Unless the trigger bar is pushed in, the trigger will /not/ go back

Unless the trigger is pulled and pushes up the firing pin safety (plunger) it is physically impossible for the firing pin to forward

Until proven otherwise to me, they were wrestling, gun fell, someone tried to catch/grab it and the trigger got pulled

Sorry somebody is dead, but there are some things you should /not/ be doing when carrying
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Doc, I know that you have said that the best safety in between your ears. Need I expound on that? 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

yep. you have to, or something else, has to pull the trigger to make gun go boom. I trust my glock better then any other handguns i own against accidental firing. Just my 2 cents worth.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

The way the Glock and all of the other striker fired pistols are designed it shouldn't have discharged without the trigger being pulled. The strikers is only half cocked prior to puling the trigger.
There is a striker/firing pin block in the slide that is depressed when you pull the trigger. This prevents the pistol from firing when it is dropped.

It's hard to say what happened without examining the pistol but I feel sorry for the family to have lost someone so young.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:43 pm So, by your logic, you don't trust the human heart to do it's job long term because you can't see it, right? Same with the digestive track, nervous system, brain, spinal cord, muscles, ligaments, lymphatic and endocrine systems, reproductive system, etc., etc. are all not optimal because they are hidden from view, right...?
Well, yeah...! All them innards are just waiting to malfunction....that's my job security....! :D

I do agree with the fact that the gun shouldn't have been able to discharge, since normally the spring is only 'partly' compressed. Likely either the gun had been modified (bad!) or maybe broken internally or messed up during reassembly (did that with a 1911 once), or was 'grabbed' as it fell...

Most importantly...
Sorry somebody is dead, but there are some things you should /not/ be doing when carrying...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

"FECAL MATTER OCCURS"

Often when we have gotten so used to doing something without any problems that we go into condition White and are not paying attention.
Rather than blaming an inanimate object (which things can malfunction) I try to watch myself (who does malfunction).

Here's a rather sobering look at accidental/negligent discharges ... the individual stories are sometimes horrible. Though I did like the one where the guys dog shot him.

https://www.concealedcarry.com/safety/3 ... oth-wrong/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Can't say I'm find of striker type handguns either for a carry gun. Not that I feel they're unsafe; I just like exposed hammers. I don't care for plastic frames and grips either, but that too is just my personal preference for real metal and wood.
But even internal hammer guns aren't particularly what I like either, unless it's for target shooting. I love my old High Standard handguns for bullseye matches, and don't care if they're internal hammers, or earlier external hammer guns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Accidents can and do happen. The outcomes can be heartbreaking. It seems to me that in the accident being used here to show why you dislike certain designs, yes it was negligence. I could be incorrect, but it doesn't seem as if the Glock actually failed. I am thinking that it was human error. A very sad human error.

I am not a fan of Glock pistols as I don't like the feel of the square-ish grip. As far as the rest of the gun, I have one and it has been no trouble so far. If my dislike of the feel of the grip is my only issue, then it is not much of a problem.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When my Dad was in the Air Force back in the early 50s, at the base in Geibelstadt, Germany an Air Force Policeman was killed by his 1911 while it was cocked and locked. The AP came in to the Duty Sergeants room and said something, then threw his 1911 butt first at the desk. HARD! It caught the edge of the desk just right for the firing pin to bounce forward and set off the loaded round in the chamber. The AP was struck in the forehead and he died instantly. It was a wood desk, and the pistol was still stuck to the desk when the clerk from outside came rushing in to find out what happened. The subsequent investigation found that the pistol was still cocked and the safety was still engaged. There was an empty piece of brass in the chamber and the recovered bullet was a match for that pistol's rifling. The only prints on the gun belonged to the AP. Yes, it was a freak accident that probably could not happen again. IT DID HAPPEN. No firearm is completely immune to accidents.
D. Brian Casady
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I prefer a 1911, but find both the Glocks and Springfield XDs to have their uses. Things I like about the XD are the Browning-esque grip safety, the tactile cocking indicator at the rear of the slide and the loaded round indicator.
I'm sure the XD safety system could be defeated -- anything man-made can be -- but I think it is an inherently safer design than the Glock.
Deaf Smith
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Deaf Smith »

Been packing a Glock since CHL first started here in Texas (yea... I have a real low serial number on my CHL/LTC!)

Now I grew up on Colt 'O' and S&W 'K' frame hoglegs... I was a Jeff Cooper and Bill Jordan man (yes I hip shoot and use two hands.. I use sighted fire and point shooting... and I'm so fast I go back in time (and I can bend bullets to.)

Now I do have a 1911, Kimber Stainless Classic, I use as my 'Sunday Go-To-Meeting' gun. Accurate as a rifle that gun is. And I do have a S&W 640 Centennial (my first CCW gun, custom red insert front sight and Eagle Secret Service stocks) I use as my 'jogging cloths' gun.

But, the main gun is the Glock 26 with Heinie Straight Eight sights, Ny-1 and 3.5 lb connector, and Bowen 'tactical' grip reduction. Got it at a pawn shop done that way (except the NY-1 trigger) for $400 about 15 years ago. I can do head shots with that gun at 20 yards!

And I used a Glock 17 for many many years in IDPA, and before that a P-35 High Power in IPSC. I have lots of trophies! I prize reliability.

Oh, and my hiking gun is Ruger 3 inch GP-100 .357 (and some times Security Six .357.) My pretty S&W revolvers sleep in the safe with the exception of my S&W 629-1 4 inch .44 you see in my avatar!

So don't knock the Glock... It's an outstanding tool.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You guys have forgotten about the Sig 320 "voluntary" recall. You can see the videos online of the "drop it just right and it goes boom" video. I tried it with mine (unlooaded) before sending it back and I heard the click of the striker. I have no problems carrying a light weight, striker fired, pistol, in the correct holster.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have no issue with striker fired pistols (I own 2 Glocks). I'm mostly a 1911 guy, but to dismiss the striker pistol as an effective fighting handgun is a mistake.
I don't find any of them any more "unsafe" than anything.
When you combine the sheer numbers of these pistols out there, with poor gun handling skills of many people (some LE included), it's a miracle there hasn't been more of these AD/ND incidents.
Sadly, it is common for many people to use a tool or machine without taking the time to understand how it operates.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jdad wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:14 am... I have no problems carrying a light weight, striker fired, pistol, in the correct holster.
Good point, that...!

Added to the "certain activities NOT to do while wearing a firearm" that would include "playful wrestling", and I think that covers 99% of the issues.

(....even though I still have so much OCD that I go nuts if I can't SEE and CONTROL the hammer... :D )
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

All good arguments guys but I'm with doc on this one. All my important ( read that carry) guns have a hammer. Sometimes perceptions matter also.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

I own one striker fired pistol, everything else has a visible hammer and is either a 1911 or a single action revolver. My M&P 2.0 40 has a better trigger than most striker fired pistols, but all things are relative. I have no intention of purchasing another striker fired pistol but I'm not violently opposed to them, as long they are chambered in something, anything, other than 9mm. Now 9mm Parabellum is something I really dislike.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

In theory, I kind of/sort of agree with you re. striker-fired self-loaders but am quite a hypocrite at the same time, owning dozens of them.....

a S & W shield 9mm is in my pocket as I type this.....and there are two kahrs and a springfield xds within reach.....

but no glocks !
m.A.g.a. !
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

One word: Colt!
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

5 in the cylinder and the hammer down on an empty chamber for safety?
D. Brian Casady