Tree Stand Hunting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Tree Stand Hunting

Post by JimT »

Before I get into this I need to let you know that I grew up in the west. We hunted deer by stalking them. In the mountains of southern Arizona we learned what canyons and valleys the deer loved to bed down in ... to feed in .. and we learned to sneak within handgun range. I had never hunted from a tree stand until I was in my 40's.

Fast forward to Missouri. My friends were taking me hunting in the Mark Twain National Forest in southern Missouri. I was not used to hunting in the heavy brush but was anxious to try. We were up before the sun and hiking into a spot they said was "very productive." They told me that it had good shooting lanes and that I could see a lot of area from it. Not knowing what awaited me I said "Sure. Whatever you think." trusting that they knew what they were doing.

After hiking for quite some time in the dark one of the guys said, "This is it." I was not sure what IT was. We were on a small hill and there was a large tree in front of me. They were looking upward so I did also. The top of tree disappeared in the darkness. I had no clue so I asked, "What is it?" "Your tree stand." was the reply.

Oh my. Looking up in the darkness I thought maybe I could see something 'way up there but I was not sure what it was. I began to wonder how the heck was I supposed to get to it if that was where I was to go. Looking closer at the tree I saw large nails driven into the sides of the tree. They went like a railroad track up into the darkness. I thought "No way!" But .. it was "yes way!"

There was a rope that was hanging out of the darkness above. They explained that I needed to tie my pack to the rope so I could pull it up to the stand after I was in place .. 'way up there. Since I was hunting with a handgun and had it in a shoulder holster they felt I could make the climb OK with it on.

Now I have never been svelte like Noodle ... I have always been chunky ever since I passed 30. I am not sure if you ever saw a fat boy doing his first climb into a tree stand .. trying to hold onto nails that had been spaced for someone about 6 foot 5" ... but it must have looked humorous to those on the ground ... at least it sounded that way.

About halfway up I was near hyper-ventilating. Climbing to unknown heights in the dark is not something I enjoyed. But .. we are supposed to be hunting so I sucked it up and made the climb ... with several near disasters on the way up. I could barely reach some of those nails!

I clambered onto the little platform that was in the top of the swaying tree and discovered that while it was larger than a postage stamp it did not feel any larger than a bathroom scale! Way below me in the dark voice encouraged me to pull my pack up, which I did. I had food and water in it and figured I might be here until a helicopter rescue arrived. I had no idea how the heck I was gonna go DOWN that tree!

Someone on the ground told me that there was a nylon rope on the stand. This was to be fastened around my waist, just in case I fell out. The rope would stop my fall about halfway to the ground. Snickering they said that if I fell out, when the rope stopped my fall I was to take out my knife, tense my body real good, and then cut the rope. "And please try not to fall on your knife." was the last thing I heard from the departing help.

Eventually daylight arrived and I could see where I was. True .. I had a wonderful view. I felt like I was on top a 30 story building. I could see out across the trees for quite a long distance. The fact that the wind was blowing and sitting in the tree stand was more like being on the deck a small boat in high seas sorta destroyed the beauty of the scenery. I tied the nylon rope around my waist and waited.

And waited.
And waited.

Over the course of the next 4 hours I ate all my food ... drank all my water. The only animals I saw were squirrels at the foot of the tree rifling through all the peanut hulls I had dropped. I saw several other people .. mostly hikers and bird-watchers. They had seen what looked like a brilliant orange beach ball in the top of a tree on a hill and hiked over to see that it was just me in hunter orange, stuck up in the tree.

Eventually my companions returned and coaxed me out of the tree. I lowered my pack and then began the perilous journey down the nails. About 10 feet off the ground the boot lace on my left foot got hooked on the nail and as I stepped down I ended up with my left foot beside my cheek. This was extremely hilarious to my "friends" on the ground. They were laughing too hard to help me and it took some time for me to get untangled. Eventually I arrived on Mother Earth and kissed her.

I have never hunted from a tree stand again.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tree Stand Hunting

Post by 2ndovc »

Great story. I've known too many guys getting hurt from falling from those things. I'll never go up in one.

jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I have never hunted from a tree stand, nor will I ever. Now I know why. :lol:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I had a cousin who fell from one and broke his back. I have never hunted from one. I was raised in wisconsin. I think when I grew up hunting there in the 1950`s they were illegal but soon after they must have legalized them as they were all over.
Where does all this high tech stop?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve been using them for about thirty years now . At first I was anal about safety straps etc . Then after about ten years I got so I rarely used them any longer . Well three or four years ago and a lot older I got to thinking I needed a safety strap again , then decided maybe a harness/vest type deal a better option . And now I use a harness/vest thing . I still usually hunt 30+ feet off the ground and I prefer it . I also pretty much only use climbing tree stands any longer . Also the climbing stands I use either need to fall apart/break or I have to make an conceirted effort to jump out of them to fall out , my reason for choosing ones this confined is for my penchant of taking a nap while up a tree . To each his own if you wanna walk/stalk that’s great , if you wanna use a ground blind more power to you , I however prefer being perched up in a tree . One of my TreeLounge stands below , I have four of these and a pair of Trophy Whitetail stands all very comfortable and sleep approved by ME !
380B1BC9-4D9D-4FC7-9259-F6640AED084E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:26 pm One of my TreeLounge stands below , I have four of these and a pair of Trophy Whitetail stands all very comfortable and sleep approved by ME ! 380B1BC9-4D9D-4FC7-9259-F6640AED084E.jpeg
But ... that's not made of rotting wood and rusty nails!!
:D
:P
:lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

JimT wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:39 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:26 pm One of my TreeLounge stands below , I have four of these and a pair of Trophy Whitetail stands all very comfortable and sleep approved by ME ! 380B1BC9-4D9D-4FC7-9259-F6640AED084E.jpeg
But ... that's not made of rotting wood and rusty nails!!
:D
:P
:lol:
Don’t think I’ve EVER used a home made nailed to the tree type deal . Have used some home made wood and nail ladder stands at a commercial hunting lodge in Bama . But they weren’t rotten or rusty .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think the only state I’ve ever hunted and didn’t use a treestand was MT . And if I’d had a ladder stand there I’d have used it in a cottonwood around the MIssouri River .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My 26th birthday my boss called and said NO WORK TODAY. So I decided to go hang a stand and then bow hunt the afternoon. Hang the stand without mishap. Have lunch and head in to hunt from a wood stand. On my way in I jumped a couple that were snoozing not more than 30 yards from where I was going to hunt. I get to the stand, holding my 60" long bow by the very bottom I can hook the top step- no need for a haul rope! So I check the steps I can reach from the ground, then each on the way up. However I neglected to check the top step. Well I hung in the air like a certain cartoon coyote for what seemed like 10 minutes, hit the ground on my feet and fall backwards. I tried to catch myself and proceeded to fracture my left wrist! About the time I landed my bow bounced off my chest/head. Thankfully I was not shooting a compound!
I got myself into a sling made from my deer drag, walk a half mile to my truck and drive to the local vet. They cut my watch off my wrist and I went on my way to a doctor. They X rayed my wrist, but said they wouldn't cast it as 1 fracture was a 90 degree- off to an orthopedic doc, walk in and you could have heard a pin drop into a down pillow! Here I am in full camo including face paint walking into an uppity up doctors office.
So the doc says you need surgery, no you don't ( I suspect because I had no insurance) . So casted it mid bicep to fingers and away I go .
I get home, open the door and my 96# Labrador sees a nice fresh RAWHIDE! Um hey that's my arm!! Well she grabbed me by the wrist, I fell to the floor and she pulled me into the house!

I still hunt from trees, but ladder stands are preferred as well as climbers.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I hunted from a little tree-stand for a couple of years. It was fun but just a little too much effort to continue long term.

I much prefer a well-constructed and camouflaged ground blind. When I get bored I can get out and walk more easily than lowering my gear, unhooking safety straps, and climbing down.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great story
In Florida, if you don't get high...15-20', you will not have a great view because of the thick brush. Most of it is way over your head too.
The only home made stands we use are tower stands with ship ladders or regular ladders. We called the "condos" . Big enough to sleep in!
We also use the typical ladders stands. But I prefer this climbing stand.
summit-treestands-81119-goliath-44_1000.jpg
Very comfortable and safe to sleep in....which i do alot! :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS