For the Contender fans here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

For the Contender fans here

Post by Bill in Oregon »

SSK -- J.D. Jones' company -- is now owned by Lehigh Defense, and among their new projects is to re-create the original Thompson/Center Contender frame using better steel and CNC precision machining. Delivery will begin in May.
I have had a number of Contenders and barrel sets over the years, and had a lot of fun with them. I am getting the itch again, maybe this time a rifle in some 6.5 wildcat. 8)

https://www.hausofarms.com/OVERVIEW-OF- ... _2659.html
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: For the Contender fans here

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey that's exciting! I wonder if they will step and become a custom shop like Fox River ? I'd like to get a 1:48 50 cal muzzle loader barrel for my Encore again.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The "original" TC Contender frames were somewhat difficult to open and TC soon modified them by changing the location of the pivot pin. Wonder which model this will be?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I own a first or second year contender. Came in .45 colt & .410. It also came with a wooden company presentation case. I later added a .256 win mag barrel and scope. The butt has a silver presentation plate (un engraved). Think I bought it used/unfired about 1970. Any idea what it would bring? Also have dies and cases in .256 mag. I have a holster rig for it too.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnZwQXxF/TC-13413.jpg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have two frames - one for 'rifle' and one for 'pistol' - the only 'rifle' setup I have is for 17 Hornet, but both Contenders have the BEST TRIGGERS I'VE EVER SEEN on any production gun, in terms of 'target-grade' style.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Very good news, indeeed !

i shot Contenders in NRA Hunter's Pistol back in the day.
I will buy another, just because, when I can.
I still have 3 of my original 4 frames and a dozen barrels in various calibers.
I just hope that the new ones will be compatible with the originals.
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

JN: This is the "easy open" version with the pin moved to make it easier to pop the barrel open. It also ships as neither a pistol or a rifle, so it will be your choice.
I have never had a Contender as a rifle. If anyone else here knows Bobby Tomek in shiner, TX, he has a bunch of these, super accurate and set up for shooting feral hogs.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

OK, thanks Bill. :)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Like so many others I got into the Contenders years go and had a couple frames and over a dozen barrels. I really enjoyed shooting them all, but eventually I moved on and sold the whole kaboodle as a package. Probably not something I'd do today if I still had the whole lot.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I got into shooting centerfire later in life than most. Never had a T/C. Getting one of the new ones with both rifle and pistol hardware and the calibers I would like does sound fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Our shop put 5 on order and all are sold awaiting delivery. It is interesting how the darn frames reproduce in the safe.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hobie wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:31 pm Our shop put 5 on order and all are sold awaiting delivery. It is interesting how the darn frames reproduce in the safe.
Never had that problem. It was barrels that kept multiplying here.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

fat finger double post!
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:30 am SSK -- J.D. Jones' company -- is now owned by Lehigh Defense, and among their new projects is to re-create the original Thompson/Center Contender frame using better steel and CNC precision machining. Delivery will begin in May.
I have had a number of Contenders and barrel sets over the years, and had a lot of fun with them. I am getting the itch again, maybe this time a rifle in some 6.5 wildcat. 8)

https://www.hausofarms.com/OVERVIEW-OF- ... _2659.html
wow I just assumed SSK was long gone, I think I was 40 years ago I purchased a 45-70 barrel before Thompson made them with the hand SSK engraved in it.
Sure wish I still had it.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:09 pm
piller wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:06 pm I got into shooting centerfire later in life than most. Never had a T/C. Getting one of the new ones with both rifle and pistol hardware and the calibers I would like does sound fun.
You need 2 frames as dedicated pistols and 2 frames as dedicated carbines. Also when you buy 22lr barrels get 2 of'em that way you can scope one and open sights on the other, you won't have to decide on sights or scope. Trust me :mrgreen: you'll save alot of time switching back and forth! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
historicfirearms
Levergunner

Post by historicfirearms »

I had placed one on order back in October but they kept pushing back the delivery date. When the May delivery promise came out I asked for my money back. When they do finally get production started, I will buy a new frame. I always wanted a flatside stainless frame. Glad to see they are trying to make a go of it and wish them the best of luck.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

This is interesting to me. In 1980 I read a magazine article about J.D.’s SSK Contender barrels. I contacted him, and wound up going to his home to pick up a 14” bbl’d Contender in his .375JDJ caliber. Iron sights.
LOVED IT. Worked up some great shooting loads and a year later took it to Africa for a “ handguns only” hunting trip.
When my vision deteriorated to the point that iron sighted handguns weren’t much of an option, I sold it. (JD put a scope on it for me using his “ TSOB” mount and a Bausch & Lomb EER scope. I hated shooting a handgun with scope.) Still... I remain hugely impressed with J.D.’s creations.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Historic: I wish they would let Contender lovers know what issues they are facing to get these frames in production. I would prepay if that would help.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

guido4198 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:15 am This is interesting to me. In 1980 I read a magazine article about J.D.’s SSK Contender barrels. I contacted him, and wound up going to his home to pick up a 14” bbl’d Contender in his .375JDJ caliber. Iron sights.
LOVED IT. Worked up some great shooting loads and a year later took it to Africa for a “ handguns only” hunting trip.
When my vision deteriorated to the point that iron sighted handguns weren’t much of an option, I sold it. (JD put a scope on it for me using his “ TSOB” mount and a Bausch & Lomb EER scope. I hated shooting a handgun with scope.) Still... I remain hugely impressed with J.D.’s creations.
I went out to PA they had a fancy Chicken, Pig, Turkey, Ram Iron targets and they weren't to entirely happy when the chick flew over the bunker.
Where I live shooting is hard, so I built a range at my brother who lives in boohoo Egypt, I made a texas star, plate swing, competition bar and then converted a old school trampoline into target holder with more AR500 plates for longer range. Got out to 120 I think I got enough room for 140 yards and then I'm sort of stuck since I'm in a old bowl of a river basin. I would like a contender again I have to look at this.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

It was mentioned above that the frames are shipped either "rifle or pistol". But when I bought my Contender, frame only, in CA I had to specify rifle or pistol and caliber. I argued with the counter clerk but if I wanted the Contender I had to choose, so my Contender is officially a 22 single shot rifle...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

I think it was 1982 when we bought our first Frame and two 7 TCU barrels .. one was 10" and the other14" Very accurate caliber !
Now we have more barrels and always looking for another. My favorites are the 414 Suppermag. Looking to get a 445 SM some day.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:25 am It was mentioned above that the frames are shipped either "rifle or pistol". But when I bought my Contender, frame only, in CA I had to specify rifle or pistol and caliber. I argued with the counter clerk but if I wanted the Contender I had to choose, so my Contender is officially a 22 single shot rifle...
I had to do that when I bought some AR lowers. Specifying 'handgun' is best I think because legally you can put long barrels on a handgun and as long as the barrel is 'rifle' length you can also put on a shoulder stock. Putting on a pistol stock or barrel on a 'rifle' gets you in trouble.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Does all that make you understand why some folks are annoyed with the process? OK, drift over. I am still wanting a Contender. I haven't made a decision on the caliber yet.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost