BL 22 ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charley52
Levergunner

BL 22 ?

Post by Charley52 »

I have what I believe to be a BL 22 grade 1. Wanted to check date of mfg and went to Browning site. Serial number is not on right side of receiver but on bottom of receiver. Number does not coincide with standard sequences. No browning insignia on bottom of lever. Stamped "Browning Arms Co Morgan, Utah & Montreal P.Q. Made in Japan. Additional stamping of "Patent Pending". Early edition? Any ideas? Thanks
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: BL 22 ?

Post by claybob86 »

Welcome aboard, Charley! :)

I can't answer your question, but someone here probably can.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Charley52 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:14 pm I have what I believe to be a BL 22 grade 1. Wanted to check date of mfg and went to Browning site. Serial number is not on right side of receiver but on bottom of receiver. Number does not coincide with standard sequences. No browning insignia on bottom of lever. Stamped "Browning Arms Co Morgan, Utah & Montreal P.Q. Made in Japan. Additional stamping of "Patent Pending". Early edition? Any ideas? Thanks
Charley, welcome aboard.

Is it possible that you were looking at info for the BLR, the centerfire version of your rifle? That might explain the incongruity.
TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Post by TANGO 4C »

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Look at the links that Tango posted. I picked up an early BL22 and had the same questions and looked at those threads a year ago to find out what the deal is. Basically you have an early gun that will most likely have a better trigger pull than the newer guns. Enjoy it!

Someone posted a warning on the second link not to take them apart. They aren't that bad. I posted a tutorial on how to take them apart and replace the firing pin a few years ago on this site.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50072
1894c

Post by 1894c »

geobru -- +1... that's a great post on the disassembly of a Browning BL-22. I had one for a couple of years, then I bought a Henry .22-cal Carbine that I liked shooting better, so the BL-22 went down the road (never really like the short-stroke lever-action). But, with that said the BL-22 is a very good .22-cal levergun... :)
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Thanks 94c!
I have 9422s in 22 LR and mag, and grade one and grade 2 BL-22s. I like them all, but when its time to introduce a young person to shooting, the BL22s come out. Usually, with a rest and a little practice, a new shooter can pick off 9mm cases at 20 yards with regularity.