The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

I just deleted a group of posts that are a private contention. They do not belong here. If there are any more I will delete them too. Take it somewhere else. Back to leverguns and the like here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hello..........Is there anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me......... No, scratch that. I won't be able to tell. Someone will have to post something.

Gunny...... ?
Six.........?
OS........?
FW......?
Harry.....?

Oh my God!
I'm all alone! It's like that Twilight Zone episode......
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Spooky, but I'm looking in just to see if the coast is clear...... :shock:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh! Gamekeeper! Thank God!
Are you alone in Britain, too?

At least now I don't need my buffalo coat. I can load up my pickup with everyone's cool guns. :D
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Still here, just been busy shoveling, using the snow blower, -14 here today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It used to be so lively.
ghosttowns.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
by n by
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Let's liven it up a bit.
giphy.gif
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Harry! Oh man, I been so worried!
Woo! Yeah, that's nippy. Kinda been a dud here this winter. Seems like we get just a little snow every day so I gotta keep cleaning up. PIA.

Haha! There you go GK. I can here it all the way over here.

I gotta go to the eye doc's boys.....
But I WILL be back. :D
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Ok, I’ll give a nickel to the first one to identify these rimfire and centerfire cartridges, they are all the same caliber:
Trump 2024

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Pink Floyd....I is here......at the moment, thinking of Pink Floyd, I need a dirty woman.....been a bit stressful around here, completing some things I don't normally do.

Harry.....I like the ice fangs.! -14?????? I've only experienced cold that bad one time and that was when I was elk hunting in a tent in Colorado...-15 according The my 3 cent thermometer......still remember the "look" walking out of the tent.....crystals in the air...dead silence.....it gets to zero around here once every three years or so.....about our only "consistent cold temps" are in the 15-20 range with down to 5 or 10 a couple of times a winter.

Oh...the cartridges.....too modern for me...17 HMR...17 Sixgun.....17 rimmed....and a 17/221? :D

Maybe I'll get some real old timers out later....

What's Gamekeeper doing...didn't know there were ghost towns in the U.K.....is that where Harry and Meghan are going to live?

Rain and drizzle...miserable...and I have to go out to the muddy pond and take some measurements for some huge PVC I'm picking up.-----6.....o
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, about ten miles north of here.

And show mama the stock pot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well! I'm glad to see more survivors. :D

Got back from the eye doc. Still goin strong.
My right eye is 20/20 and the left is 20/15. They aren't as good as they were, and up close is getting tougher, but still no glasses. They said I was doing pretty good for 52.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well, I checked in early this morning, as per my modus operandi, I could still log in so I figured all was well in the world... just didn't have anything to say.

Hmm if those are 17s I'm scratching my head. Just dont look small enough to be 17s by my calibrated eyeballs :D

I hear ya Jay- although my eyes are not that good ( thank you astigmatism's in each eye ) I cant read print at distance but everything else is in focus from way out until about a 8 inches away. I should spring for lasix and be done with it!

Same here, raining off and on all day, big snow storm coming for the weekend!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Six got 2 of them.
Trump 2024

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK Harry......17 HM2 (had to look that up) and the other has me a bit confused as it's a rimmed cartridge....looks too big for the 17/22 Hornet.--6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...you guys gettin' snow? A lot of it?---6
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 pm OK Harry......17 HM2 (had to look that up) and the other has me a bit confused as it's a rimmed cartridge....looks too big for the 17/22 Hornet.--6
Close enough
17m2, 17HMR, 17 Hornet (this will be 17 ack hornet after I fire it), 17 Fireball.
Trump 2024

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not now, just foggy. Snow for Saturday though!
Mach 2, HMR, the hornet case looks long in the pic and the fireball case looks even bigger! Guess I'll have to go take a picture of a 17 Rem...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea....first thought was the Hornet...sometimes pictures throw out perception/proportion as to size.....

What's Jay doing? Bragging about his eyesight to the neighbors?.......I'll give him credit, he can spot a single action Colt right through a steel wall....like Super Man.....

Code 1----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ha! Yeah........like Super......gun man! :D

That being said, I didn't know what any of Harry's cartridges were.
I thought one may be one of our local favorites,
the 17/25-20. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey guys...we forgot something major...in all of the excitement we forgot something......the Grand Poobah won page 40 and we forgot to come up with an award....who wants to step up to bat with a prize....a special prize? I'm sure one of you guys has something nice tucked away .....if not, I'll get one of my old Savages .....I mean old...got one from 1901 with a half rd/oct 26" .....----6....

Jay...how's the eyesight in the brown eye? 20-20? I was talking to one eyed Pete the other day and he tells me he needs glasses...probably going to get a monocular.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh, it's good. As a test, I ate about 15 tacos, then hung a donut on a string about 25ft away.
I bent over, let er go, and threaded the needle ( donut ) no problem.
So my brown eye is 15/25. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:28 pm Ha! Yeah........like Super......gun man! :D

That being said, I didn't know what any of Harry's cartridges were.
I thought one may be one of our local favorites,
the 17/25-20. :D
So a 17 Bee is the local favorite moose cartridge?

Harry, how do you like the 17 M2? I can't say I've spoken with anyone who has one. Everyone has an HMR. thought about swapping a 10/22 over to the M2 or my 77/22.

Just found another Mouser trap gun! I should buy it , I know the guy who has it listed, used to shoot with him all the time.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow! That was quite a test for Jay....well thought out...and 100% conclusive. Good test on the single eye bro.....it'll never need glasses. :D

Well? Cold spell coming...gotta get up to West Chester...you have to mind your p & q's when in that town.....it's a college town and well organized....cops will pull ya over for talking too loud......they keep order, nothing like it's toilet cousin, Chester, 14 miles away.

Never owned a 17'of any kind....Elmer Keith told me to stay away from anything smaller than "40".---------6.......o.....da.....b
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just for fun, I have a Chiappa revolver in 17 HMR. Loud and fun. I also have a Savage in 17 WSM. That one will get 3,000 fps with a 20 grain bullet. The rifle stays so steady that you can see the hole appear in the target. It has an 8 round magazine that is rotary, sort of like a Ruger 10/22. Winchester necked down a 25 caliber nail gun cartridge and stuck a bullet in it. Fast and accurate. I have hit a coyote through the eye with it at about 125 yards. It didn't actually penetrate into the brain. The skull of the eye socket was pulverized and the coyote probably died from the shockwave in the brain. It dropped instantly. They also have a 26 grain round that only reaches about 2,600 fps and does reach the vitals on a coyote. Lots of fun in late February through April if you can catch them denning up.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have shot a few groundhogs with my 17 Rem, the bullets do not exit but it sure makes the insides awful gooey! Shot a cottontail once, skinned it from ears to paws, tossed it 4 feet in the air and nary a twitch. I'd kinda of would like a 17 bee but I dont do enough varmint hunting to put it up on my list.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've never had a .17 either. For that matter, the only. 22mag I have is a cylinder for my Colt Frontier Scout. I've never fired it.
Yeah.......I don't get out much. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OW, maybe you would like to part with that cylinder.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:52 pm OW, maybe you would like to part with that cylinder.
Well, seein as it's in the box with the rest, I will probably keep it. :D
Sorry buddy.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Mmmmmmm.........THATS a nice Colt you have there Jay.......When I ask this question, I WANT it...so......CAN I HAVE IT????. You might as well give it to me as you'll probably take it back the next time your here.

You guys are forgetting what I previously asked.....the Grand Poobah deserves a prize for winning a milestone page.

Let's let Old Savage decide......Fred..you have TWO choices.......

1.) Jays Colt Frontier with both cylinders AND the box, along with all papers, documentation, etc. except the sales receipt, for obvious reasons. :D

2.) Colt Lightning 44-40 with very little use......perfect bore....bluing on the receiver flaked off as these things sometimes happen after 136 years...serial number 58.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK....This is what I did today....$190 worth of pipe later.....had to go to a specially place to get this 10" PVC....stuff is about 3/8" of an inch thick......Instead of a "through pipe" like I've had, I did this....can adjust the height of the water just by adding 2" rings----6.....o......da....b.

Got to wait until the mud dries up. It's all the stuff the guy with the back hoe got out last week....25 years worth of silt.....gonna make great lawn hole filler.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I will go with #58. I should have something old. :)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'd say you made the right choice OS.
But if you're still wanting that mag cylinder, I will swap you for the Lightning.........and even throw in the revolver and box. Then you can say you had both. :D
That's right, I'm a h3lluva guy! :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Six! That was quite a job. Nice.
Seems weird to see the ground and water not frozen. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay...this is the warmest January I can ever remember.....it was in the sixties and seventy over the weekend. Today was 55 and balmy. Al gore might be right.....ahhhh, who gives a %#+=......as long as the Jeep runs and the gun shoots, we're good-to-go!!!

Fred gets number 58....but, I'd like to keep number 57, 58, and 59 together.----6....o...da...

Code 4
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah. I wouldn't doubt you do have those!

Yeah it hasn't been much of a winter here either. It's been up and down. Just crazy. We don't have anywhere near the snow we normally have. About a foot of ice at the lake.
We have 3-5" coming tomorrow. Another 5-8 thus weekend. We have got an inch every day this week.

Code 2
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I'd like to see some snow...only a couple of dustings...like 1/8"...figure, I'm retired and no snow.

Code 4
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well buddy....
It beats working and trying to keep the snow cleaned up! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

By this time next week you will be able to walk on your pond! Yes we are finally going to get some cold weather! I like the cold, miss the snow for sure. But on the other hand the wood pellet supply is still high from not needing much heat, the bird cover is still standing, but I'm not making any spend money plowing...

Oh well I'm code 3.1459
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Morning guys. We are supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow this weekend then freezing rain.
I was called out this morning at 0230 for a facility 90 miles from my house. Up showered blah blah. Great night for driving and no cops out, which I can attest to, as I have 16 miles of two lane country roads before the interstate AND I made the 90 miles in an hour and 11 minutes including stopping for a full tank of gas and coffee🚘. The truckers were getting out of my way on
I-78 and I-81.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah it's nice to not fight traffic! The older I get the less I like driving at night- guess I'm not a vampire ! :lol:
We are so forecasted for 3-6" of snow and its about time !! Might be enough to get me motivated to get in a tree and whack a couple deers.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey Gunny, if you want I can provide you with a “real slug gun” instead of that girlie thing you have😇!

Yeah I was in a hurry this morning we have an issue that ain’t good.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea Gunny....me too ..I HATE night driving.....the older you get the less light enters the eyes.....that's why my 2k Nightforce scope is no brighter that a $39.99 Tasco.

There's a reason why I've have never seen anyone over 75 competiting at the matches and only a half handful between 70-75.

Enjoy it why you can.......code 11....that ones for real!

Tom and Jerry...err...Jay...I'm headed off to the post office to mail those goodies for ya....code 9 on them.

AND I HAVE NO REASON WHY YOU GUYS CALL ME A B.S'er.....I told you I have three consecutive numbered Lightnings....here's the proof!!!!!----6

Code 4...once again...

Last edited by Jay Bird on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay and Tom....packages on the way......

Code 4
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I knew you were hoarding those Lightnings. :D
Hey thanks a lot buddy.

Thats a big code 3!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:33 pmI have shot a few groundhogs with my 17 Rem, the bullets do not exit but it sure makes the insides awful gooey! Shot a cottontail once, skinned it from ears to paws, tossed it 4 feet in the air and nary a twitch. I'd kinda of would like a 17 bee but I dont do enough varmint hunting to put it up on my list.
WOW!! This is surprising! Since you have a .375H&H in a mouse gun, I figured you for nothing less than some sorta hi-powered .45 for rabbits & 'chucks! And for coyotes at least something over a ½ inch! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I do have a 20 gauge bolt action with full rifled barrel. Years ago I had a Marlin 12 ga rifle- I called it the 729 pachyderm pounder! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Only thing I have with consecutive numbers is my set of number stamps- so I can number whatever I want ! :lol:

Had white out conditions here a couple times today- nothing stuck. Of course the constant 20-30 mph wind didn't let anything hit the ground!!

How could I forget!! I also have a 450 Bushmaster but my 'bunny' gun is a BPS 10ga!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Be careful with power tools.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well...I decided to rejoin the Boy Scouts at the recommendation of a fine friend. In order to save money I tried on my old uniform but the sleeves were a bit short and the bottom of the trousers were at my knees. BUT, I did find and will be able to use my neckerchief. It's been sitting on the wall in my gunroom next to the SS hubcaps from my '68 Camaro. They still look like new only being on the car for three years, from '68-'71....---6....o......da ...b..

Code 4