Great Lakes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Great Lakes

Post by harry »

If you are interested in the Great Lakes and the many shipwrecks there, this is a great site:

https://midnr.maps.arcgis.com/apps/weba ... 03a476988d
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Great Lakes

Post by piller »

If you are a Liberal, they are the rather OK lakes. :lol:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I've often wondered about what remains of the people who are still there as to whether the bones are still there. I've read that cold water often preserves the flesh. I watch these You Tube videos of the Russians who are digging up German bunkers and the stuff they find along with tanks that were sunk in the rivers while trying to cross them on ice....Some of the soldiers/pilots who died in the swamps are still pretty much intact after all these years.---6
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:22 pm I've often wondered about what remains of the people who are still there as to whether the bones are still there. I've read that cold water often preserves the flesh. I watch these You Tube videos of the Russians who are digging up German bunkers and the stuff they find along with tanks that were sunk in the rivers while trying to cross them on ice....Some of the soldiers/pilots who died in the swamps are still pretty much intact after all these years.---6
When I worked for the NPS I saw a video from the inside of a wreck in Superior that showed the remains of a crewman. The flesh was intact but very white and waxy appearing. The wreck was about 40 years old at the time the video was recorded, probably 20-25 years ago now. Its unsettling.

Eric
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks Eric.....unsettling is putting it mildly.....---6
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

This year my wife and I are planning a trip in our truck camper, around Lake Superior.
I am a nautical history buff and will visit the various museums around Superior, including the shipwreck museum along the South Shore in the U.P.
Lokking forward to it..
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

TraderVic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:58 am This year my wife and I are planning a trip in our truck camper, around Lake Superior.
I am a nautical history buff and will visit the various museums around Superior, including the shipwreck museum along the South Shore in the U.P.
Lokking forward to it..
Sounds like a great trip. You get the chance going to Isle Royale is well worth the trip. Lots of old fishing camps and wrecks galore, some of which are visible just by snorkeling like the one in the bay of Passage Island. Crystal Cove is super cool too, fish camp that became a tourist sppt before the Park Service took over. Your own boat helps but it is an amazing trip.

Eric
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

The Circle Tour has been on our list for some time.

Post by TraderVic »

yooper2 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:30 pm
TraderVic wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:58 am This year my wife and I are planning a trip in our truck camper, around Lake Superior.
Lokking forward to it..
Sounds like a great trip. You get the chance going to Isle Royale is well worth the trip. Lots of old fishing camps and wrecks galore, some of which are visible just by snorkeling like the one in the bay of Passage Island. Crystal Cove is super cool too, fish camp that became a tourist sppt before the Park Service took over. Your own boat helps but it is an amazing trip.

Eric
Eric,
You must have "some boat" to venture out there into Lake Superior like that. While I am a swimmer, and snorkeled a bit in the Philippines many years ago, I'm not equiped to snorkel that water. Thinking about that quickly reminds me of going through the ice to my armpits while setting tipups about ten years ago. My voice cracked a bit after that :lol:

We'll likely take the ferry out of Grand Portage and hike the south end a bit.

Regards, Vic
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

My son lives in Alpena, Michigan. There is a small museum of shipwrecks from Lake Huron. They have all types of items recovered from several shipwrecks. They keep some of them displayed in ice cold water to preserve them. There is also a glass bottom ship tour that takes you to several old shipwrecks.