Barrel diameter for 38-55 rebore

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Barrel diameter for 38-55 rebore

Post by FLINT »

Hey guys,

I few weeks ago, with some help from you guys, I shortened the mag tube on this rifle and I really like the way it turned out.

I now would like to send it to JES for a rebore to 38-55. However, I'm a little worried that there isn't enough meat at the end of the barrel to bore it out. I'm wondering if anyone has had or heard of issues of a winchester 94 barrel ever being too thin to bore out.

The barrel seems fairly thin but in addition, the front sight is also dovetailed into it and right across from that is the fairly deep hole that received the mag end cap screw/pin.

The diameter of the barrel at the very end of the bore is .610", and the diameter about .9" back from there, at the mag pin hole is .620" . the diameter at the forend cap is .670.

I tried to measure the depth of that mag pin hole and do the math and it seemed like it was very close.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Barrel diameter for 38-55 rebore

Post by DocRock »

Have you spoken to Jesse about it? Nobody will have a more authoritative view on it than him. He's not great answering the phone but should ring back if you leave a message.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The Win 94 BB 375 barrel measures .610 at the muzzle. So this shouldn't be a problem boring out to 38-55. It has a barrel band so it doesn't have the holes for the forend cap.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

DocRock wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:15 pm Have you spoken to Jesse about it? Nobody will have a more authoritative view on it than him. He's not great answering the phone but should ring back if you leave a message.
Thanks, yes, I'll call him sometime soon.
BenT wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:44 pm The Win 94 BB 375 barrel measures .610 at the muzzle. So this shouldn't be a problem boring out to 38-55. It has a barrel band so it doesn't have the holes for the forend cap.
That's good to know about the 94BB. I used to have one of those but sold it a couple years ago so I couldn't compare.

this gun actually does have a forend cap, and the forend cap screw goes through this guy that is dovetailed into the barrel
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

IIRC, that Jesse has to have at least .050" per side, at the muzzle, above groove dia. for a re-bore. So you need at least .475" or so, of muzzle diameter. I am sure he prefers more than that, but IIRC, that was the minimum. I would want at least .100" per side myself as at .050 and the gun falls and hits the muzzle, it would probably damage things.
Last edited by Thunder50 on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I love that configuration of a 94. If there isn't quite enough meat for .38-55, give serious consideration to .35-30. Jesse does that one.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thunder50 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am IIRC, that Jesse has to have at least .050" per side, at the muzzle, above groove dia. for a re-bore. So you need at least .475" or so, of muzzle diameter. I am sure he prefers more than that, but IIRC, that was the minimum. I would want at least .100" per side myself as at .050 and the gun falls and hits the muzzle, it would probably damage things.
Thanks, I'll try to measure the depth of that mag screw hole again and re estimate how much barrel will be remaining. I'm not worried about the diameter of the barrel as much as the diameter of the barrel MINUS the various holes and dovetails which all seem fairly deep. I guess worst case scenario he would have to cut 1" off the end of the barrel and then re dovetail the front sight in?
Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:45 am I love that configuration of a 94. If there isn't quite enough meat for .38-55, give serious consideration to .35-30. Jesse does that one.
Thanks! yeah, I've thought about that, but already have a 35 rem (marlin) and kind of like the idea of having a 38-55 winchester. but it is an option.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Flint I like my 38-55 so I understand. I also have a 35/30-30 (as stamped on the barrel) and if you can’t do the 38-55 the 35/30-30 has some interesting things to consider. Brass is everywhere, if you reload for the 35 Remington you already have the bullets and the dies. I fire form 30-30 to fit the chamber then use 35 Remington dies there after. There is something about the legendary 38-55 but if you can’t do that it is nice to have a backup plan. Plus people at the range give it a strange look👀. Tom
If you go that way don’t hesitate to contact me and I might be able to help some. Good luck.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 375 barrel I have has front ramp sight not a dove tail, so that might be a better option. I beleive Jes can cut you dove tail for the forend cap.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

fordwannabe wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:32 pm Flint I like my 38-55 so I understand. I also have a 35/30-30 (as stamped on the barrel) and if you can’t do the 38-55 the 35/30-30 has some interesting things to consider. Brass is everywhere, if you reload for the 35 Remington you already have the bullets and the dies. I fire form 30-30 to fit the chamber then use 35 Remington dies there after. There is something about the legendary 38-55 but if you can’t do that it is nice to have a backup plan. Plus people at the range give it a strange look👀. Tom
If you go that way don’t hesitate to contact me and I might be able to help some. Good luck.
Thanks man!
BenT wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 pm The 375 barrel I have has front ramp sight not a dove tail, so that might be a better option. I beleive Jes can cut you dove tail for the forend cap.
Thanks, yes, I just need to call JES now.