Mossberg 410 pump

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Mossberg 410 pump

Post by JNG »

On a trade a friend guns, he put a .410 in the bucket. We traded.
I would cut the barrel 18-5", I think would make legal?
Thanks Joe,

JNG
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mossberg 410 pump

Post by .45colt »

I bought one in 1979 at k-mart for $80.00 , nice walnut stock and plain barrel. somewhere along the way I saw vent rib .410 barrels on sale and snatched one up. I cut the plain barrel down just like your thinking. it's no Winchester model 42 but it is one of the guns I will never sell. one fine .410 pump. I can't see why it's not legal.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

I’m no lawyer, but sounds fine to me. Unless you shorten the stock, then there are some overall length issues you might run into but I’m not sure.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Simply shortening the barrel to 18.5" -- assuming the stock is standard -- will not make it illegal. It will remove whatever choke it has, but it should still pattern reliably out to 20-25 yards.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Min. shotgun barrel length, IIRC, is 18", so you will be fine.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’ve seen cruisers with 18” barrels and pistol grips. My .410 Mossy 500 has an 18” barrel. Since it’s The Perfect Jeep Gun I have a youth stock to keep it easy to store & transport.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

A .410 cylinder bore? What for? It might shoot rifled slugs. It will do for snakes at 5 yards. It won't pattern for toffee at 10.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you want to shoot slugs, or have a snake issue, it would probably be just fine. What about trying it with the rounds made specifically for the Judge?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

DocRock wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:37 am A .410 cylinder bore? What for? It might shoot rifled slugs. It will do for snakes at 5 yards. It won't pattern for toffee at 10.
The heck it won't. It does a nasty at 20' with #4 bird on 1/2 gal water bottles, not to mention what it would do with buck shot loads! :shock:
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

1894cfan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:51 am
DocRock wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:37 am A .410 cylinder bore? What for? It might shoot rifled slugs. It will do for snakes at 5 yards. It won't pattern for toffee at 10.
The heck it won't. It does a nasty at 20' with #4 bird on 1/2 gal water bottles, not to mention what it would do with buck shot loads! :shock:
Yards is a different measure of distance than feet. No choke on a 410 makes for a useless gun. It's yours, so do as you wish.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Works on quail, rabbits, squirrels, with shot. Coyotes go down to slugs and I imagine it would ruin your day if you were the intended target. The .410 in such a package if far superior to the .22lr rifles and handguns typically used as “survival” weapons.

I can personally vouch for the underwhelming lack of confidence a .22lr rifle one has when facing 3 large young a$$wholes that want your Jeep.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sure cylinder bore has its disadvantages but might I suggest you rethink this by cutting it down and invest in Briley choke tubes- now you have versatility! Personally I think a full choked 410 is way over choked. I have a CZ bobwhite , it has IC/M and I use it pheasant hunting behind my dogs. Sure it might not stone a bird every time at 30 yards but it certainly knocks em down! My High Standard Flight-King SKEET gun shoots slugs very well and also knocks birds for a loop! Some choke is good!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

DocRock wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:40 am
1894cfan wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:51 am
Yards is a different measure of distance than feet. No choke on a 410 makes for a useless gun. It's yours, so do as you wish.
The heck it is, it's great for home defense and other purposes!!!!! How about 12 gauge with no choke, is that useless?
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I shot my Contender .45/.410 barrel on the skeet field once just for grins. It's an older 10" octagon with external choke. The choke has longitudinal ribs to help stop the spin from the rifling but no constriction. With 2 1/2" #8s shooting from only stations 1, 2, 6 and 7 I broke about 60% and then only if I hit them before the trap house (skeet/trap overlay). It also did pretty well on rabbits with some 3" #6s. I wouldn't want someone shooting at me with it.
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A .410 is not as effective in some applications, just as a 12 ga with a full choke is overkill in some applications. Learn the difference. 8)
My full choke H&R 410 with 3" #4s will pepper the heck out of a milk jug at 75-ish feet....Not a one shot kill on larger pests, but enough to harsh their buzz. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

DocRock wrote: "A .410 cylinder bore? What for? It might shoot rifled slugs. It will do for snakes at 5 yards. It won't pattern for toffee at 10." so it won't pattern well at 30'...? O.K. Doc I guess I'm going to have to shoot it and see. :) .
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

.45colt wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 pm DocRock wrote: "A .410 cylinder bore? What for? It might shoot rifled slugs. It will do for snakes at 5 yards. It won't pattern for toffee at 10." so it won't pattern well at 30'...? O.K. Doc I guess I'm going to have to shoot it and see. :) .
It's unclear to me why my view of a cylinder bore 410 as gun as a self defense gun with limited effectiveness is so controversial. 1/2oz to 11/16z oz payload is of limited effectiveness. Disperse that low volume payload with a cylinder bore, and its effectiveness will be further limited. There's nothing vaguely controversial about those simple facts.

People suggesting that such a gun will deliver effective patterns at much beyond 10 yards are contradicting the entirety of shotgun experience with chokes. One can of course do with one's firearms whatever one may wish.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

DocRock wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:12 pm
.45colt wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 pm DocRock wrote: "A .410 cylinder bore? What for? It might shoot rifled slugs. It will do for snakes at 5 yards. It won't pattern for toffee at 10." so it won't pattern well at 30'...? O.K. Doc I guess I'm going to have to shoot it and see. :) .
It's unclear to me why my view of a cylinder bore 410 as gun as a self defense gun with limited effectiveness is so controversial. 1/2oz to 11/16z oz payload is of limited effectiveness. Disperse that low volume payload with a cylinder bore, and its effectiveness will be further limited. There's nothing vaguely controversial about those simple facts.

People suggesting that such a gun will deliver effective patterns at much beyond 10 yards are contradicting the entirety of shotgun experience with chokes. One can of course do with one's firearms whatever one may wish.
Doc, who the heck says you can only use shot or slugs out of a cylinder bore .410? You ever see what 4 00 buck balls will do to a watermellon?
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

1894cfan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Doc, who the heck says you can only use shot or slugs out of a cylinder bore .410? You ever see what 4 00 buck balls will do to a watermellon?
Well, you've got me there. For watermelon hunting, it's tops...
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

DocRock wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 pm
1894cfan wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 pm

Well, you've got me there. For watermelon hunting, it's tops...
OK, ya got me! My point is, you start poking 35/36 caliber holes in things something nasty is gonna happen! And a 2 1/2"
.410 shell has FOUR of them! The Mossberg .410 holds 5 rounds plus one in the chamber. Look what Wild Bill did with his cap 'n ball at about a hunderd yards across a town square!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My 410 loads carry 3/4 Oz of shot and downs birds beyond 30yd. 410 tends to be to tightly choked born from customer fears!
Mod or less choke for me anyday.
Why even my 45 smoothrifle muzzleloader with shot and cylinder bore is a 30yd small game getter!

How many 410 cylinder bored guns you tested Doc Rock? Sounds like you had a bad'n.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

I relent. None of my 30 years of wingshooting and competitive sporting clays have taught me a thing. If only I had known that the open choke 410 was the king of long range shooting, I would have downed more pheasants and won more competitions. How this secret has been kept from the rest of the world, is beyond me...
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

DocRock wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 am I relent. None of my 30 years of wingshooting and competitive sporting clays have taught me a thing. If only I had known that the open choke 410 was the king of long range shooting, I would have downed more pheasants and won more competitions. How this secret has been kept from the rest of the world, is beyond me...
Now you're showing your true colors, "Doc"! :mrgreen:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

DocRock wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 am I relent. None of my 30 years of wingshooting and competitive sporting clays have taught me a thing. If only I had known that the open choke 410 was the king of long range shooting, I would have downed more pheasants and won more competitions. How this secret has been kept from the rest of the world, is beyond me...
There you go, everyday is a learning day 8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Modified choke is my preferred choice, full choke can pull off some amazing shots but also more amazing misses. I once borrowed an old "poacher" .410 with a 30" cylinder bore, it did shoot very well at normal .410 range, I was surprised as I have a improve cylinder/ 3/4 choke O/U. and the improved cylinder is next to useless past 20 yds . I think .410 patterns vary a lot depending on ammo and how well the barrels are bored, being smaller with a lighter load I guess any small variation is more noticeable than with a 12 gauge.
I was tying with the idea of getting a short, cylinder bored .410 for slugs but over here (UK) it means even more hoops to jump through. :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 am Modified choke is my preferred choice, full choke can pull off some amazing shots but also more amazing misses. I once borrowed an old "poacher" .410 with a 30" cylinder bore, it did shoot very well at normal .410 range, I was surprised as I have a improve cylinder/ 3/4 choke O/U. and the improved cylinder is next to useless past 20 yds . I think .410 patterns vary a lot depending on ammo and how well the barrels are bored, being smaller with a lighter load I guess any small variation is more noticeable than with a 12 gauge.
I was tying with the idea of getting a short, cylinder bored .410 for slugs but over here (UK) it means even more hoops to jump through. :roll:
+1.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Regarding the 410 bore being choked "full", which is more often the case. Can't one just have a gunsmith open the choke to modified or even "light modified" ?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sure, done them myself.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Either Nath or G-K told me cylinder bore 410's put more shot into patterns at 20-30 yards. Ive cut 2 of them down and glad Listened to them... todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Slightly off topic as far as open chokes go but if you go to the Henry website there is a video there of .22 Plinkster using a full choked .410 to take a turkey at a very long distance using some new Hevi shot .410 loads.I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Rusty wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 am Slightly off topic as far as open chokes go but if you go to the Henry website there is a video there of .22 Plinkster using a full choked .410 to take a turkey at a very long distance using some new Hevi shot .410 loads.I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen it.
Seen that too. He does some nice videos.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!