The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

Haha thanks buddy! I know we hack on each other a lot, but Six will vouch for me.
Really.........really..... he will.

Six?........Six, buddy? :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You win but likely it will be mud from what we saw.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well don't that figure! I win another page!
Wait a minute......we were just talking about some of Tom's cool guns..........
Right?.......Am I right.......?
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

JAY WINS!!!!!!. Jay, normally I always take my mentors advice (Old Savage) and was going to award you a gallon of mud, complete with tadpoles but in this case you are the winner of Old Savages KNIVES!!! His Glock knife will be in the mail on Monday....I tell ya, that Old Savage is quite a guy........on Tuesday (overnight delivery) look out in the dooryard, next to the cinder blocks, by the sale sign and the knives should be there.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Coooool!
That's some primo stuff, too.
Thanks guys. I don't know what to say.
I'm a little choked up.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hmm, one of the state police helo's has been flying circles about a mile away from here for the last half hour. My Flight Radar app tells me its state police, 1420 AGL at 1 knot.the scanner app isn't blowing up... ?? Now idea what's going on- maybe another escape from the reformatory? That's only 6 miles away...
That's a heck of a prize!- a Glock knife covered with mud!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

They after you Gunny?
If the worst happens, can I have your guns? :D
I just want to preserve them in your name as a tribute. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Folding survival knife in D2 Avispa and the Gaucho!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 pm They after you Gunny?
If the worst happens, can I have your guns? :D
I just want to preserve them in your name as a tribute. :D
Man! This guy is fast...I WANTED the guns! My guess as to the helicopter is that NICS accidentally approved Gunny for the "Mouser" and they are coming to reclaim it.

By the way, what's Gunny doing up after 9? Timeline on his post is 9:01 Is it because it's Saturday night or are you worried about the cops circling your house. :D

I tell ya...we are dang near doing a page a day......success...success! Remember the 3 stooges and after completing a mundane task, they would exclaim "success!"

My youngest granddaughter when she was 12....she's 17 now.

An unfired Civil War Rogers & Spencer with a three digit serial number

Old Savage sure is surprising me lately....different gun with each post....and nice guns! No junk....mmmmmm........knives too...I can't comment on knives as I don't know much about them....

OK, enough about ponds....here's some guns!---6....o
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is quite a distance between my Gaucho and that must be very rare Rogers & Spencer which I did not know existed. Best I could do is the other end of BP with an unfired Old Army in stainless steel 7 1/2".

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm usually awake after 9, I just don't check in as I turn my phone off when it's charged.
As for the helo I'm thinking it was a training flight. Flight radar showed it took off from SMQ flew out here where it just flew lazy circles than after a half hour flew back to the hanger. Whatever- I'm clean & legal so I know they weren't looking for me.
Oh local news saying there was a Bigfoot sighting but I bet it was Jay snooping around in his buffalo coat trying to find my Mouser!! :lol:

Unfired Six? How do you know- you pick it up at the factory? :D
I have 1 gun that is unfired since I rebarreled it, Argentine Mouser, 375 H&H. I made a true 4 round box magazine, stocked in English walnut. Hasn't even been test fired! I need a .375 mould so I can plink with it!

Ok where's the coffee?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Mmmmm. Coffee. On my second cup.

You know, I think Six is right. Old Savage is holding out on us.
The real problem is that he is so far away. Kinda out of "Buffalo Coat range". :D
Hey OS, you been to Maine before. Ever think of relocating? You'll love the weather old buddy! :D

Glad it wasn't a "takedown" last night Gunny. :D
Unfired........? Only thing I have unfired is a post-war, pre-64, 94 carbine in 30-30. No box, sadly. I tried to get it but it couldn't be located.
I never should have gave 275 bucks for it but I was trying to help out. :D Of course, this was back in 88.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think OS would be better off down in Six land, it seems the weather is better suited to SoCal than Maine. That being said I sure wish you would send some snow this way, I haven't made a dime plowing this winter! :D

Guess I'll take the stock off the mouser today, go through the internals to clean & lube, see what makes it tic so I have a better idea of how its engineered. Then maybe I'll give the wood a little TLC. Take the front bead off and give it a drop of loctite since its loose, polish up the monobloc.
Might even go test fire it later.

I really don't want to spend $450 for the Dillon 20 ga conversion kit! Maybe I'll contact MEC about converting my newly acquired 9000 to 20 ga... Got to be cheaper!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Six land!? No way. That puts too many cool guns in one spot. The weight will cause a sink hole. :D
I have separate MEC loaders for the gages. Saves setup.
I got them used so it was fairly cheap.
Well.....not really. I hardly use them. Just don't shoot shotguns much.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Gunny, Ii grew up about 25 miles north of Six Land, Florence, NJ.

Gunny, a buddy here says if the pilgrims had landed in San Diego we still wouldn't know about Maine but had a good time up there on about five trips with three or four different women.

I have wondered if there were any original civil war guns in perfect shape outside of museums. Fellow I know has a first year production 1860 Army but even though it still works it looks like it was left in s barn.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No kidding, OS? My wife has relatives not far from there (NJ). We were visiting them the first time I went over to visit Six.
Haha that's probably true what was said about the pilgrims.
It is said it was pretty "tough sleddin" up here back in the day. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It is still pretty tough sleddin'. I am not currently playing golf because it only gets into the fifties and some nights it is BELOW freezing. Where are they in NJ?

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well STUFF!!
Took the stock off the Mouser,
20200112_084119-600x800.jpg
Interesting- the hammer springs are captured !
Then I started looking at the extractors, noticing a lot of galling. So I started to chase the galling and poof the extractors turned into EJECTORS!
20200112_095024-600x800.jpg
The left I already fit on right is unfit.
Then as I was checking the function/timing of ejectors I found that the bottom firing pin was broken !!
20200112_112705-600x800.jpg
Now the fun begins!! Trying to find something close. Yes I can fix this one (I think) but ya never know if it will stay fixed! If I had a lathe...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha I hear you buddy! It is amazing what a person can get used to, though.
If you get a 30 degree day in September, it feels cold. A 30 degree day in February feels like you can go out with a T-shirt. :D
They live in and around Woodbury Heights.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well there Gunny. At least you can fix it.
I hear you! I'd love a lathe and a Bridgeport with an indexing head. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well, the old saying "the early bird gets the worm" pretty much means I'm gonna be hungry. Gunny takes the cake on being the early bird, Old Savage can't as he's 3 hours behind us and Jay can't compete because he works weird hours and is probably used to getting up at anytime.

My mind......can't stop thinking and relating words to the past and present.....help me out Fred......

Ok, here my synopsis......man has always gotten out of bed with the sun for obvious reasons and gone to bed for the same reasons. So, unless your job, your lifestyle, or your other personal obligations require you to rise and rest with the sun or the clock, what difference does it make when you start your day? Even Putin gets up at 10 and goes to bed at 4 am.

You see????? No one even asked me to explain that but somehow I felt compelled to explain my late rising out of bed. Fred????

F. It.......oh.....oh.......now I remember...next post
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That gun is amazingly put together by people who would eat me for lunch....that's the kind of picture I like to see.....have faith in your ability to reproduce that pin...hardening and all......

How doe they make a extractor and ejector work as one? Amazing
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:07 pm Ok, enough of high dollar guns, back to condo survival knives. My wife was kept awake by the sound of branches against the window in the wind. So out I go with the Glock 81 with the root saw and hacked it off.

Previously there had been a vine branch interfering on the walk. That 78.root saw made short work of that I will tell you. The rigors of condo living. 😋

You see it here with the Mod 78.with the plain back spine.
Shirley has the Glock with the saw back, I have the plain one, handy to have close by when you can't have one of them noisy Glocks....... :wink:
IMAG2168_1.jpg
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well in this case the gun was designed as an ejector gun, but since the sub gauge tubes are after market they weren't fit as well as they should have been. Thus they were dragging so much the springs couldn't overcome that drag. Some filing, stoneing and they eject rather than extract.
Now the firing pin... It's HARD! Too hard for my drills... I dulled 3 trying to get a pilot hole! So I need to rethink this. The usual M.O. Is to drill the correct dia hole to accept a piece of drill rod- not drill bit, then silver solder said drill rod in place and quench. Gives just enough hardness to last. So the reason this has broken is the small diameter is .425" long and the same diameter - poor design... I need to do some looking around online. But probably going to have a pin or pinS made. Might have to take a ride to Griffin and Howe.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You could make one out of a transfer punch, start with one close to the major diameter, file as needed then harden.
Or you can send the part or precise dimensions and will make one, send it back to you for hardening and blueing.
I like that you can get the number, letter, fraction and metric sets.
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/04293171
Last edited by harry on Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sounds interesting Gunny.....the skills you learned in gunsmithing school can and have been used in many aspects of your life. Metallurgy is knowledge that can applied in a million applications of "getting things done", along with the learned scientific mind that's necessary to adhere these metals together. Yea, I know, I took the lazy path and became a brainless forklift operator...but....I'm having fun!

Gamekeeper and Old Savage sure have a thing about knives....never learned much about them but there is a LOT to learn, different types of steel for different uses. I only have a few KaBar fighting knives and a half dozen Leathermans, plus a useful machete and a "short sword" that stays underneath the Jeep seat in a scabbard that I can grab in half a second.

Well guys...it's January 12 and it's sunny, breezy and SEVENTY DEGREES!!!!! I feel like I'm in Old Savage land minus the multitude of "soft stuff".....

How you can tell,if a gun is unfired? Very hard as all modern guns are test fired, but mostly before the final finish is applied. There's wear points, etc but the easiest is to match the bluing that has absorbed gun powder residue vs. the areas that don't.....with smokeless powders is very hard to tell if only a few rds. were fired...but BP ....as used and the methods to clean "back in the day" leave many telltale signs......for instance, the nipples will still have a crispy edge on an unfired gun where the hammer drops.......bluing inside the cylinders would almost be impossible to "clean to new".....cylinder face....ramrod condition....not saying it's a definitive easy to say statement that a gun is unfired...but if you know what to look for and have "an eye" for it, you can come mighty close.----I'm going outside to play.---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay....the real problem of loading up the buffalo coat in Old Savage land is the obvious warm weather so you have two choices.......entice Fred to move up by your way or masquerade as a movie extra, taking solicitations in his neighborhood under the guise of "global freezing". :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha well there's an idea! I mean the one about convincing him to move here.
The other........I ain't doin'. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Gunny, I have some tungsten drill bits. They shatter if you are not careful, BUT they will drill into anything. Never use them without a good drill press. However, they leave a small hole even in hard steel. I got them at Harbor Freight.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What is this Six, you have my golf weather. What is that about.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yep! Your right Fred.....your warm air has come our way....I can even smell the barbecues and a slight scent of soft stuff. On a serious note, I spent the day "spring cleaning" outside.....tidying up around the outside of the house....you know, leaves, dead flowers, etc....It was weird.....sunny..warm...I had shorts on..but over my long johns........(Jays mode of dress).....

Well, while we are enjoying life there's many others worrying about death and the death of others they don't even know by using "feel good" words. The way I see it death is gonna come one day so why worry about it.. . The only thing you can do is make the right choices concerning yourself and the ones you care about, stay away from toxic drinks, no smoking, eat quality foods, and exercise the body and the brain.......to hell with the rest of the world......when it comes, it comes.....meanwhile live-----6......o..... :D

Wish they'd leave me alone, stop analyzing every word I write and stop telling me how to live and go on with their own miserable existence . I have to get a laugh about why there's a "Gun Room".-----6
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:48 pm Yep! Your right Fred.....your warm air has come our way....I can even smell the barbecues and a slight scent of soft stuff. On a serious note, I spent the day "spring cleaning" outside.....tidying up around the outside of the house....you know, leaves, dead flowers, etc....It was weird.....sunny..warm...I had shorts on..but over my long johns........(Jays mode of dress).....

Well, while we are enjoying life there's many others worrying about death and the death of others they don't even know by using "feel good" words. The way I see it death is gonna come one day so why worry about it.. . The only thing you can do is make the right choices concerning yourself and the ones you care about, stay away from toxic drinks, no smoking, eat quality foods, and exercise the body and the brain.......to hell with the rest of the world......when it comes, it comes.....meanwhile live-----6......o..... :D

Wish they'd leave me alone, stop analyzing every word I write and stop telling me how to live and go on with their own miserable existence . I have to get a laugh about why there's a "Gun Room".-----6
:lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Blaine this is such a great thread you just can’t stay away, guess that makes you nasty and racist also.
Trump 2024

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now that is offensive! You wonder WHY you are censored!! It because you stir the pot BLAINE!!
It is not Six that causes problems its YOU . Please do us a favor and stop being rude and obnoxious.

Now for happier news- the Mouser is fixed! First try no less!! Made the new firing pin with nothing more than the drill press, files and a torch!
20200112_152818-600x800.jpg
Half way
20200112_162259-600x800.jpg
Finished
Test fired and no pierced primer!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

harry wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 pm Blaine this is such a great thread you just can’t stay away, guess that makes you nasty and racist also.
I just want to be Happy, Happy, Happy and have a life. :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:31 pm Now that is offensive! You wonder WHY you are censored!! It because you stir the pot BLAINE!!
It is not Six that causes problems its YOU . Please do us a favor and stop being rude and obnoxious.

Now for happier news- the Mouser is fixed! First try no less!! Made the new firing pin with nothing more than the drill press, files and a torch!20200112_152818-600x800.jpg
Half way
20200112_162259-600x800.jpg
Finished
Test fired and no pierced primer!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If being on Leverguns is so painful and bad for you, make your home elsewhere. https://www.phpbb.com/

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Blaine it seems as you’re the one that’s in so much pain, maybe you should make your home elsewhere https://www.phpbb.com/
Trump 2024

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ok, that is enough on all sides. I said before after the Campfire situation that I would delete efforts to stir up dissension. I am aware there is another complaint thread going. I decided to let it go so everyone could have their say. But this interchange is out of bounds. End the contention here.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It fired and did not pierce the primer is good. I know that there is not much difference between too short and too long on a firing pin. Of course, that is not much knowledge. How did you heat treat the firing pin you made? What type of steel did you use?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad you got her running Gunny. It pays to be handy. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes the drill press works as a vertical lathe.
The original pin largest dia was .225, I found a short piece of .250 drill rod, filed it down , then I cut the notch for the retainer pin. Then I used a piece of 3/32 drill rod for the pins small diameter. The good thing about making it 2 pieces is I can remove the forward section if it ever breaks again. As for the heat treat I just quenched it in water after the silver solder was done. Drill rod is a tough steel, takes heat treatment, easy to work.

As soon as I took this gun apart I saw what the problem was- the firing pin section is long, .425" of the same diameter is just asking for trouble. This style has no support. Well designed should be a long graceful taper. Snap caps are required here!

As for the lathe I was able to chuck the .225" in my wood lathe to drill the center hole. However my Jacobs chuck will not hold anything smaller than 1/8. So I used a center drill to get the hole started then went back to the drill press. I have to get a different Jacobs chuck!

Remember I talked about stuff being too hard? This pin was probably too hard...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well done Gunny. Glad to know you are so handy. Well I got this......
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

2 things I learned in gummsmiff skool-
Ya cant bulls#!] a bulls#!]er
And
It doesn't hurt to try
I always try to fix stuff, if it works I have learned valuable things that I know I can use again. My education flows into everyday use.
With that said time to make some sawdust!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Are you fellows ever lucky. Knowing how you like to see inner workings, this is an automatic xray developer 1983, still in use. You see the tanks, the developer rollers and the worm gear drive ... Wow.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:42 pm Are you fellows ever lucky. Knowing how you like to see inner workings, this is an automatic xray developer 1983, still in use. You see the tanks, the developer rollers and the worm gear drive ... Wow.
What kind of Backflow Prevention does Kali make you use? Those were my job for a long time. I actually convinced the state that an air gap incorporated into some designs were enough to make them safe....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would have to talk to the maintenance tech about that. Same guy that installed it still takes care of it.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would have to talk to the maintenance tech about that. Same guy that installed it still takes care of it.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Old friend of mine used to do the maintenance on xray machines. By law he was eligible for a carry permit with all the silver in the chemicals but his boss wouldn't allow his employees to have guns. This was well before carry was common and in a kommie state !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The white bucket you see next to the processor is for silver reclamation but now the state takes it.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Of course they do, it causes cancer and they can reclaim the silver and make money - not surprising!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!