Marlin 336 Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 336 Question

Post by milton »

Anyone here shorten the finger lever plunger spring to get the lever unlocked easier?
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin 336 Question

Post by AJMD429 »

I used a fine 'hard Arkansas' stone to polish the heck out of the plunger on mine and a dab of grease.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

No, but I have used a fine file or hard stone to very slightly break the edge on the plunger, rounding it off just a tad to mimic the natural wear that eventually leads to "falling lever syndrome", the opposite of what you have now. Just go one stroke at a time and try it until the lever locks snugly but comes free with a reasonable tug.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've lengthened the plunger to ensure it unlocks easily, but never lowered spring pressure.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thanks everybody,I;ll give it another look.Mine is awfully hard to initially open.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Took one out and cleaned all the dirt and oil and lint out of it. Worked like brand new after that.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I haven't done that yet,I will remove it today and see if that helps.Thank you !
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

How'd it go?
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:51 pm Took one out and cleaned all the dirt and oil and lint out of it. Worked like brand new after that.
This.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Sorry ,I got sick again yesterday and just did not have the strength to work on the Marlin.Perhaps today .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

milton wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:48 am Sorry ,I got sick again yesterday and just did not have the strength to work on the Marlin.Perhaps today .
I've had days like that. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you! I do feel better,I followed the suggestions and the rifle is working better! Now we have a tornado approaching the area just a few miles west of us!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Had tornadoes near us a couple of days ago. They are sure destructive.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I put a Bomb Proof ejector in one of my Marlins, and it changed the feel when working the lever. Lots of things you can do to make changes. Fluff and buff some parts, and you can make it move easier. Just be careful to not go too far. I am pretty sure we all know that it is easier to remove too much than it is to fix it. Maybe Gunny Mack can fix a gun, but I can't. I can polish parts.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost