The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

It's true Six! I'd never forgive you for letting a nice condition old YJ waste away. But I know you're too much of a "Jeep guy" to do that.

Oh! And a shout out to OS for keeping our little corner of the interweb safe and secure for our shenanigans.
Thanks old buddy!

Just swilled down some coffee. Gonna head across the lawn to the old man's and see what trouble he got in today. Must be getting ready to put the ice shack up to the lake.
The wife got me the 9 disc set of "The World at War" series from 1973. If you're a WW2 buff, it's a must have. I remember watching it on PBS with my dad on Saturday nights when I was a kid. Got me hooked on WW2 stuff.
Not only awesome footage, but most of the major players were still alive. Interviews with Albert Speer, Omar Bradley, Jimmy Doolittle.
Guess it's safe to say I'm a weirdo. I've had the theme song as a ringtone on my phone for years. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! Chalk one up for Old Win! Guess that's a "New Win" for "Old Win". :D
I'll take Six's YJ. :D
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

My old but sound 1975 CJ5 with the 5L , it was rhino lined in about 1990.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK...OK.. Old Win was due for a win for being number one.

I AWARD YOU HARRY'S RHINO LINED C-J!!!!!!!!!! As you both come from frost bite land, it'll be easy for Harry to drive it through the northern routes for delivery.....GO HARRY! Your a generous guy!

You should have seen the mess I had today......had Ole Yeller hooked up to the trailer with all the stumps.....drove out to the back pasture to the "stump cemetery"....I was backing up the Jeep and trying to position the trailer near where the other stumps were and I felt something funny in the drive train.....engine was racing but I wasn't going anywhere......buried the trailer and the Jeep at least a foot down...not quite up to the axles but 3/4 of the way.

Low range 4 wd wasn't taking me anywhere even with the Goodyear mud terrains......walked back to the barn and got the mighty Kubota.....at least I was able to keep the mighty Kubota on somewhat dry soil while pulling........did not expect much........put a nylon strap to the hooks on the front of the Jeep and the trailer ball on the mighty Kubota...low range, 4 wd and the mighty Kubota pulled out the Jeep and the loaded trailer.......

Spent 2 full hours power washing everything......raining and snowing at the same time right now......
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Geeze..took another look at Harry's Jeep.....never saw rhino lining on the outside....that baby will last forever.--6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Hey guys! Just checking in. I was sent to Chambersburg today on an investigation and it has snowed since 11 am.
I have been watching this post but not much to say so I kept my mouth shut. Last night one of the legs called he had sold me a couple Hawes revolvers in the past and he just got this one in but it needs work blah blah. 357 with adjustable sights soooo. It was cheap enough but needed a cylinder bushing and a cylinder pin BOTH OF WHICH I had in my revolver box. Fit them up and I like it t for now.
I don’t usually keep them that long but they are fun for a little while and then somebody NEEDS a single action and it goes down the road. I did get to cast some bullets last weekend with my new to me NOE 265 grain .434 mold has three sets of pins do, hp, and DEVISTATOR HP.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice!
CJ-5's rock! My first Jeep was a 59 CJ-5. I just love em.

Holy smokes Six! That was a mess. Glad you got it out ok. I hate mud. Makes a mess. We do mostly technical type wheeling and rocks nowadays.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Congrats to Buffalope Jay!

I had a feeling there was a Russian game developer watching me all day- thanks Fred for chasing them away!

It was Pat McManus that wrote something about ' you go as far as you can in 2wd, then into 4wd THEN into low range just in time to bury it up to the axles' or some such.

I say we put Ol Yeller on tracks, that way when you are up to your hips in snow you will still be able to go buy 22s when no one else can get out ! :lol:

Spent the day doing demo, including jack hammering concrete floor so plumber can run drain lines for a tub in the basement. My knees HURT!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow! Lots of action going on...Tom is back in town just in time to see Jay win Harry's Jeep.....funny thing...where's Harry??? Sure hope we don't have to call him an Indian giver....Jay deserves the CJ.

Gunny has sore knees????well, just go pay a Hollywood star for a pair of knee pads...seems like that's all they do.

Yea......good 'ole Old Savage...doing a thankless job keeping away the weirdos and it's not as if he's making a mint doing it.....other than the prestigious green ink.

Hey! Just heard...Iran sent some missles? Gots to see........its about time Donald turns that "nation" into a glass parking lot. Sick of these idiots.....what's so hard about "when you do something to us, we do something back......those ragheads ought to get it in their half brains that "The Donald" is going to have the same kind of diplomacy that Teddy Roosevelt had..."Gunboat Diplomacy".--6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And here I was outside in a t-shirt piling up a new set of trees I, (er, my son), took down from around the barn. One more to go in front, then 3 or 4 more on the back side.

This shoulda got posted lat nite... guess you actually have to push the button.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have to get a 40 S&W.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:32 pmHave to get a 40 S&W.
My son has one in a STI "Edge". Very nice double stack 2011, and a quite fun cartridge. I'd like to talk him into getting one for me too! :o
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage....stay with a nine....more capacity, easier to shoot and with the new 9 ammo, it's just as effective...at least that's what I've read.....my bud down at Targetmaster says guns in 40 are not selling anymore......if someone trades one in they don't get much........

I've never owned a 40 but I have many 40 caliber guns....38-40, 40-82, 40-65, 40-million, 40-62,000.......---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I try to be able to use any ammo, main motivation here. Good price.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Two posts in one day!
My bud that works At Cabelas in Hamburg says they won’t even take a 40 on trade right now! That said my EDC is a Glock 23 in40 and I like it for what it is. My other 40....is a Marlin 1894 that uses the same 40 cal 200 grain bullets38-40.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey two poster...what's happening young man????...OK, enough of the niceties....let's get to business.......Harry needs to get on the ball and get the CJ delivered to my pal Jay.......see Tom?....if you posted more often you'd have the chance to be first on a page and win a Jeep like the Jayster did.

Maybe we can get Griff to deliver it if Harry is too cold in frost bite land.

Gunny getting his rest.....he'll need it with all the jack hammering he has to do. BIG day tomorrow Gunny...now get your PJ's on and into bed......grease up your caulking gun and have extra tubes all ready to go as I can't help you as I don't plan on getting up before 11 or so. ----Super Fly
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah! I'm not gonna lie.......I really need another CJ-5. It's been a long time. I find myself looking at em all the time.
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't part with my TJ Rubicon, but I sure have a soft spot for the oldies.

I still got to get out and shoot that Flat Top. I was out oit shooting my Commander last Friday. I didn't take the Ruger cause the old man wants to shoot it too so I waited. I want him to shoot it first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Jack hammering in done!
Today back to the greenhouse, the special order door is finally here. This door is only 5'6" tall, it had to be custom made and it's pricey-$1500.00! This greenhouse is on the porch roof of a log cabin. The door has to be hung in a log wall, open under the roof eve and clear a log rafter.

Email from Mauser (previous)owner , said it should be shipped today. If I'm lucky I'll see the new pet by the weekend- I'm not holding my breath.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Nice to see action.......$1500 for a door? I would have just put a 80" door on the table saw. .....wood, glass, metal....don't matter......the money saved would have bought a lot of Sierra Matchkings. .... ...or, like I do I the shooting shack..hang a tarp. Some people have too much money....

Jay.....CJ's and YJ's were and are JUNK......The ones on the road are still there because their owners babied them.....rust buckets......my YJ spent most of its life in the garage along with a yearly undercarriage paint job with a half dozen cans of flat black paint.....

Coooolllddd and windy today.......I ain't workin' and I don't make no bones about it.---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Same here, no golf today. Did you know a golf ball and a Colt SAA cylinder are about the same diameter?

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Dang Fred....that has to be the weirdest comparison I have even seen. Well, knowledge is power so the next time you run out of golf balls just pop a cylinder out of one of your Colts and use that. In fact the Ruger 32-20 cylinder would be good too as the extra weight will carry it further.

Went outside to feed the birds a package of rolls that went stale......have no idea how animals survive in this mess.

I'm headed down in the gunroom to see what I can get into.

I'll leave ya with a pic of 'Ole Yeller, all powerwashed and resting out of the weather.....redneck style.---SF

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, for the curious, here are some more measurements I have accumulated. The measurements are between the cylinders, cylinder outside walls and cylinder diameters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I did my Single Six conversion from 32 to 44 I kept the original cylinder. Dont ya know the base pin hole had enough meat left for a 3/8 -16 tap to cut good threads so I turned it into a shift knob for my '88 YJ . When I sold it I told the guy I was keeping it. Dont know when I put it...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Geeze Fred... that's a lot of measuring.....I always thought that cylinders were the same diameter regardless of the caliber...within specific frame/models....what I do know is that the model 27 Smith has a lot of meat around the holes...sometime about 25 years ago, I let loose a round with 14 grains of Unique instead of 7 grains...held tight...

Gunny......did you have to do anything special to tap the cylinder? I thought they were hardened......

Did Jay get Harry's Jeep yet?

DID YOU HEAR THE NEWS??????! THE LEVERGUN SILHOUETTE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE GOING TO BE HELD IN PA FOR THE FIRST TIME at the Ridgeway Rifle Club.......going to be next to impossible to get a spot but IM IN....and so is Master Gunny.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No Six it took threads just fine. Here's the thing about hardened steel, if you can make a pass with a file and it cuts( files are HARD) then you can do whatever you want to it. If the file just skates across then it's probably too hard. What is more important than hardness is the composition of the steel. By making changes in the mix you can get wear resistance, toughness, ease of machining, etc by putting different elements in.
Free machining steel has lead in it- ya can't harden it! There is surface hardening, through hardening .
While opening the frame on the single six I ruined a new Nicholson OO Swiss file.

Ruger does investment casting of frames as we know, if you take a Ruger to an engraver they will most likely refuse to engrave your gun. Why you ask? Because the investment casting uses any and all kinds steels. It's hard as nails, soft as cotton and anywhere in between. They tear up their tools trying to cut it.

Well UPS didn't pick up the Mauser yesterday according to the UPS app... WTH!!

Ok now you are going to the Nationals- time to start training! You need to get a routine together! No more 1 am bed times, ya gotta start running every morning, more range time, meditation,yoga, ya know just like all those Olympians that have gone nowhere after their moment in the limelight! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, a seat at NATIONALS :mrgreen:

Now you may recall a few years ago there was a discussion about relative revolver strength. So .. I began taking some measurements at least of mass to see what variations might exist especially in guns of known strength.

Lore gets involved and you never know where that will go.

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Well we have a cool off coming next week, forecast is for -28 on Tuesday night with highs around -15 or so.
No Jay cannot have my Jeep, too many memories with it.
Trump 2024

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm with Sixgun, too cool and damp here to work outside. I should be organizing my bills for tax season, but... the TV beckons.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Gunny, I like to watch Forged In Fire when I have free time. I have learned quite a bit about steel and working it from that show. Two things have really stood out. There are a bunch of different types of steel, and they are heat treated differently for the type of steel and the application. You obviously had to learn that for you to be able to work on guns. Springs are a different steel from the cylinders, and the heat treatment is different. Spring steel often makes good knives because it gets hard enough to hold an edge, but not so hard that it cannot be sharpened or that it is brittle. Soft steel can be case hardened and used where hardness and wear resistance are needed but it is not to be flexible. Steel is not just steel. The different metals added in to the mix make for significantly different levels of hardness, wear resistance, machineability, flexibility, corrosion resistance, fracture resistance, and a few other properties. The knowledge and ability to work with steel and have the end product come out in a useful form is why cheap and good steel are rarely the same thing. Sort of like why Anesthesiologists get paid so much. Anyone can learn to give you the gas and knock you out. Not very many can keep you alive to wake up when the surgery is over. You are paying the cost to wake up alive. Like with a gunsmith. You are paying the cost for the gun to work and not blow up on you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well...i learn something new everyday...thank you Gunny for metal working 101.....I like doing basic no brainer gunsmithing and have been confused working with different types of steel.....OK, I'm learning but you know the old saying, "a little knowledge is dangerous" or something like that.........that reminds me....I think I'll take the propane flame thrower and heat up a Ruger single action to see if I can soften up the steel so I can test my engraving skills. I use a 32 ounce ball peen hammer and a railroad spike that's sharpened for the fine line stuff.

Yea....I'm pumped about the Nationals and at one time I would be starting my training 6 months in advance......but I'm old and don't care anymore.....proving myself is in my past and I do know if I put my mind to it, I'd come in the top 20% ....and that's using antique rifles and cast bullets but the enthusiasm and drive are out of my life so I'll go there, bs with people, have a good time, show off my cool iron, take pictures, tell lies, and consider this the last big competitive match of my life .....been there and done that at many State Champs, Regional matches and other big get togethers......it's really a lot of work, energy expended, determined focus, and cost.

Now you guys know why that while at deer camp, the old guys go out for an hour and come back to the cabin. I'm tired, old, no-reason-to-prove-myself, and have come to realize that I'm just an incurable F. off.-----6
Last edited by Jay Bird on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

On to a happy post......got a call several hours ago......buddy of mine on his way over......wife answered the phone and took the message.....got dressed, around noon and walked outside just as my buddy was backing down the driveway, complete with his tools of the trade......he is a tree surgeon and stump grinder.

He says to me, "whoa, you've been working!" Sure got a lot of those stumps out....I'm here to finish things up for you." He did in an hour what it would have taken me 3-4 days of back breaking work. He knocked out 2 Locust stumps so now I only have one left...a monster 4' maple......which he said he'd be back to do.....but I'll probably do it my way...axes, fire, and the mighty Kubota.---6

Had his crew with him too. He refused money and got mad at me when I tried to pay him....but he finally accepted enough to buy him and his crew lunch...good guy.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You are right Piller- I was just trying to give Six some basic info.
Yes we had to learn about metallurgy. How to harden, temper, Make flat springs- that was fun. Each time a guy would compress a hand forged, polished, fitted spring you could see the beads of sweat break out on his face, if it didnt break the whole building would sigh in relief! Happily mine worked the first time!! :D we had to forge out chisels, harden & temper, had to make a lot of our tools. Good times !

Ups tracking says '1st attempt made' - how is a gunship NOT open for deliveries ?!?! :evil:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

UPS and USPS can and wiil do that for their own convenience.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny....yea, watch those delivery people and stay on top of it......we need you to get this gun, especially me as I plan on winning page 38 and I get to choose the prize.....

I'm writing this at 11:10 and in a few hours you will get a good laugh while sipping your Black Rifle Coffee.

Hey, what's with Pitchy? He started a new thread about some people who think they are better than anyone else. I wonder if it's us. Of course he did add some smiley faces and lots of "laughs". :D I call this Gun Room thread a "thread of convenience" as who wants to make a separate post on every stupid thing we do? I don't get it....this thread is for everyone who wants to get involved talking about brainless happenings without making a new headline title.

Geeze! And the winter has just started...........
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I agree.

And I can't get started.
So as Forrest Gump said......"And that's all I'm gonna say..........bout that." :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I look at a lot of the posts by the other members. Sometimes I make a reply but usually I don't. Sometimes I don't have the time, sometimes I don't have anything useful to say, but I read them.
Yeah sure this post is just for us knuckle dragging, animal skin wearing , blabbering gun nuts that just want to talk about nothing. With that said -
Rain again this weekend! We cancelled the pheasant delivery- now it won't rain! Murphy's law will rear its ugly head again!
I sure wish Trump would repeal daylight savings! I wake up without an alarm but gee wiz I'm tired of 0400!!!! :lol:
Claro is in heat- lots of humping going on.
When I set up the delivery to my local shop the owner said one of his employees went home with the flu- sure hope the whole staff didn't get it , that might explain why it wasn't delivered...
Ok coffee time!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thread of convenience, I like the concept.

Turned the new De Buyer Steak Pan blue last night with a half hour over the burner, experiment.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The bottom is pretty.

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:55 am The bottom is pretty.
And now we have old savage perfecting the process of stove top color casing steel. :D
Trump 2024

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:55 am The bottom is pretty.

I HAVE to comment.....that is without a doubt the prettiest frying pan I have ever seen......a color case hardened frying pan!

I bet even Gunny couldn't do one dat nice...------6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Dang Harry...you and I were thinking and writing the same time with the same thought in our heads.---6
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I haven't had anything to contribute, but the thread idea is genius and quite entertaining.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I like the case colors BUT if ya want it blued send it here and I'll blue it for ya! I dont salt blue but I do 'Belgian ' blue. I do know of a guy in NY state that does reproduce case colors by torch- if he is still alive ?

Well ups tracking had my new Mouser delivered to the shop, gave them an hour then called- they haven't unpacked everything yet, call back in a couple hours- come on guys !! I've already paid for it!! NOW NOW NOW I WANT IT NOW! Gee that sounds like a democrap dont it ? :lol:

Oh and WELCOME Larkbill !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Gunny! We at the Pa Department of Health are tracking a seriously bad flu season this year.
UPS has a batch of unobtainable brass that should have been delivered yesterday buuuut still no show.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Larkbill wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:29 am I haven't had anything to contribute, but the thread idea is genius and quite entertaining.
It's supposed to be...thank you! ......no need to contribute anything...just talk, have fun, and above all, BE HAPPY!..... :D ----6

Hey Tom...."unobtainable?" What you looking for?

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Put my Winchester 94 '66 Centennial short rifle back together last nite. The magazine ring at the muzzle had broken off, and I had to get a replacement. And, since the original was soldered in, I had a local gunsmith cut a new dovetail in and reblue the bottom of the barrel and the new ring. Surprised at how easy it went back together! I guess I've done far too many to have several months pass between dis- and re-assembly!

I just love the Lyman tang and globe front on this rifle. Now I need to take it out and re-sight it in again... after the rain stops!!! I'll take it along for Sunday's cowboy action shoot and get at least a few shots on one of the ~100 yard silhouettes out there!
DSCN1207.JPG
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well the paperwork is done, transfer fee paid and NICS is twiddling their thumbs... 90 minutes behind !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is the playboy model cch. You may see the bunny ears at the bottom. Seasoned with soy oil to get this.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gunny, it is my understanding that what I am doing creates a layer of FE3O4 on the surface. You may know more about that.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gunny if you check you will note that many threads and posts are discussion. It often out numbers gun related posts. Btw, I can tell you no one is reading everything posted. OT was done away with a long time ago largely due to the volume of OT.