I Got The Woodsman's Pal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

I Got The Woodsman's Pal

Post by Blaine »

It only took me about five years to make up my mind. :roll:
I hope I'm not one of P.T. Barnum's "One Born Every Minute" :lol:
It's well-made, and is sturdy-feeling.
Rockwell of 47 high carbon steel.
I'll let you know if it sucks, or not, later when it warms up enough to go camping.
Now, I'll be researching a high-quality Bow-type camp saw.
Blowdowns are not uncommon on the forest service roads I haunt.
Stock Photo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I Got The Woodsman's Pal

Post by jeepnik »

I like mine so much I put one in every emergency bag I have (car, truck, jeep & house).
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I have two of them, and LOVE them. I always have one in the truck with me - and it has come in very useful. I've used it to cut small trees that have fallen across forest roads and it makes very short work of them. Excellent tools. Like a cross between a hatchet and a machete.

Cant say I'm real keen on the look of the handles on the new version. let us know what you think.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have seen them in Cabela's a few years ago. That is the only experience I have with them. I hope you enjoy using yours.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FLINT wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:29 pm I have two of them, and LOVE them. I always have one in the truck with me - and it has come in very useful. I've used it to cut small trees that have fallen across forest roads and it makes very short work of them. Excellent tools. Like a cross between a hatchet and a machete.

Cant say I'm real keen on the look of the handles on the new version. let us know what you think.
The finger indents on the handle fit my fingers really well....I don't think this one will get away from me if my hands are wet.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

ok, cool, that's good to know.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I will be interested to hear your review; they have similar 'generic' versions of what you got at the local farm store, but I also wonder about the Gurkha style knives as far as practicality. For now I just have a couple old heavy (1/4" thick) short-machetes or 'heavy knives' that simply say "U.S.M.C." on them. They are great for lopping limbs off downed firewood trees, cutting heavy brush, and splitting small chunks of firewood, as well as threatening small children.
USMC vs WP vs Gurkha.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I remember reading a story when I was around 10 or so about a timber cruiser for a company. Anyway he was chased up a tree by a bear and the bear was following him up the tree. At some point up there in the tree the bear was just about to be able to bite the mans foot or lower leg. He hit the bear with the hook of his Woodsman's pal on the top of the skull and killed the bear.
Always thought they were a real handy tool after reading that. Though I might be inclined :mrgreen: to use my 44 mag first
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a cheap Kukri. The cheap one is too thin and doesn't have enough weight to do much. It was bought for fun. It is carbon steel made by Cold Steel brand. Most of the cheap ones are low grade stainless and will chip and crack. Carbon steel is better for flexing and keeping an edge upon impact. Generally.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

A true Kukri will handle brush, trees, bears, and two legged miscreants, but the reverse curve takes a little getting used to, needs more of a wrist snap to get the most out of it.

The Nepali Ghurkas take using a kukri to a new level....Those guys are scary good....LOL

I always thought the Woodsman pal was a little too short, but never spent much time with one
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gcs wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:31 am A true Kukri will handle brush, trees, bears, and two legged miscreants, but the reverse curve takes a little getting used to, needs more of a wrist snap to get the most out of it.

The Nepali Ghurkas take using a kukri to a new level....Those guys are scary good....LOL

I always thought the Woodsman pal was a little too short, but never spent much time with one
The Ghurkas have a tradition. If you ask to see his knife he will gladly show it to you, but upon return it had to have a little blood on it. Yours, or his. :o If it's yours, you might be invited to have a generous swig of their Ghurka Rum.... Might be paint thinner, but it sure clears the sinus.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Bronco wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:08 am I remember reading a story when I was around 10 or so about a timber cruiser for a company. Anyway he was chased up a tree by a bear and the bear was following him up the tree. At some point up there in the tree the bear was just about to be able to bite the mans foot or lower leg. He hit the bear with the hook of his Woodsman's pal on the top of the skull and killed the bear.
Always thought they were a real handy tool after reading that. Though I might be inclined :mrgreen: to use my 44 mag first
That's a great tale... what makes it hilarious is that I was thinking of suggesting to Blaine that he not let that rebound in the direction of his noggin ..... but in hindsight, depending on the actual steel . . . oh, well. :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:05 pm
Bronco wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:08 am I remember reading a story when I was around 10 or so about a timber cruiser for a company. Anyway he was chased up a tree by a bear and the bear was following him up the tree. At some point up there in the tree the bear was just about to be able to bite the mans foot or lower leg. He hit the bear with the hook of his Woodsman's pal on the top of the skull and killed the bear.
That's a great tale... what makes it hilarious is that I was thinking of suggesting to Blaine that he not let that rebound in the direction of his noggin ..... but in hindsight, depending on the actual steel . . . oh, well. :lol:
My Buddy :lol: :lol: .....(The Airport Diner is closed and forever gone :cry: )

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

My Buddy :lol: :lol: .....(The Airport Diner is closed and forever gone :cry: )
news to me and I drive by it from time to time!!! what a DRAG. Renton has an urban airport, maybe a diner there. Pilots gotta tank on caffein to get rid of the shakes before takeoff !!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Hope to see your review soon, still can't get mine started.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

For numerous years the Woodsman Pal was issue in US Army aircraft.
The one we have is the military issue made in 1966. A pilot decided he liked it and brought it back with him.
I have used it a bunch down in river bottoms cutting lanes for archery deer hunting.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Blaine wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:06 pm Stock Photo:
if I ever decide to become a homicidal maniac (serial killer) The Woodsman Pal would be a good choice. Since I have NO desire to be a homicidal maniac I think that's an interesting choice for camping, for the woods, or working your way through a zombie horde...only kidding...well kind-of... :)
zombies.jpg
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Never thought about zombies. But they have one with a long handle. That way you get more stand off.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Blaine, this is the winter I thought we were gonna get together with Mescalero! I've seen them and wondered how they hold up. Guess you'll let ys know in the future. Todd/leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Interesting background to this I just found out

Group had the trademark, licensed it out to another company to manufacture

Other company started fine, then got sloppy, then went out of business in 2018

Looks like they've started production again, but at a higher price point

More info at their website here:

https://www.woodmanspal.com/update/
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Victor Tool was the original manufacturer of the woodman's pal. I have their wood handled version

I also have a Pro Tool Woodman's pal that I got at least a decade ago - that one is the leather handled version with handguard. The quality of my Pro Tool woodman's pal is still really good so must have been from before the quality declined.

I know that Victor offered a couple / few different versions of the woodman's pal, and that Pro Tool offered several versions as well - including a long handled version that someone else already mentioned. It looks like the new owner has dropped all the other styles and just has the one - grooved wooden handled version - which is a big departure from the historic style(s).

Here are mine:

ProTool on top, Victor on bottom. the handle on the Victor is broken, I haven't been able to decide about whether or not to fix it.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks for the pictures

I've got one like the top one, just a bit younger, bought it in 2013

So that's way before Pro Tool started falling apart

As far as the second one, I'm torn

Would really like to see handle fixed and restored, but there's history there and it might be worth more that way to a collector

Looking at it, it's one of the old, old originals, note the steel band and one rivet

This one may be vintage WWII

You're missing that chip on the lanyard hole and the 'hook' on the back bottom of the handle is gone, shame that

What history do you know of it?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I found one of those Pro-style pals somewhere near Mount Rainier on a Boy Scout campout about 1966 or 67. It was rusted from having lain in the leaves and moss for who knows how long, but it cleaned up. I wonder where it went to. :lol: