Random Handloading Thoughts.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Random Handloading Thoughts.....

Post by Ray »

KirkD's toilet paper case filler technique is all you'll ever need.....

single sheet, one ply, rolled into tube, folded in half, double end down against powder, folded end up.....forget the polenta, farina, grits, dacron, etc.

With reduced loads in very large, necked cases that are difficult to look into and gauging powder level for the purpose of guaranteeing no double or triple loads, try throwing charges into clear medical sample tubes/vials first.....invert case to insure empty, add powder, filler (if needed), seat bullet.....

4.5 c.c of trailboss (no filler) and the 235 speer .375 in a 9 pound .375 H&H is like shooting a .22 hornet.....

your thoughts ?
m.A.g.a. !
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Random Handloading Thoughts.....

Post by wm »

Back in the old days I followed the example set by some of the guys who showed me how to handload. They used those styro foam sheets you used to get when buying meat. They would punch out little circles and use those. Worked great in straight wall cases. Bottle necked not so much.

When shot the Styrofoam reacted with the heat and evaporated.

Can't find Styrofoam much any more.

Wm
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The secret to reduced loads is buying another gun in a smaller cartridge. You guys are wasting perfectly good excuses to lie to yourself. :D
Slow is just slow.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

One of my best tricks is finding a left over cache of .458 DG ammo just before beginning to load replacements.
In this case it was 15 rounds of .45-90 ammo - enough to kill several bison, water buff, or Cape buff.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Ray wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:24 pm KirkD's toilet paper case filler technique is all you'll ever need.....

single sheet, one ply, rolled into tube, folded in half, double end down against powder, folded end up.....forget the polenta, farina, grits, dacron, etc.

With reduced loads in very large, necked cases that are difficult to look into and gauging powder level for the purpose of guaranteeing no double or triple loads, try throwing charges into clear medical sample tubes/vials first.....invert case to insure empty, add powder, filler (if needed), seat bullet.....

4.5 c.c of trailboss (no filler) and the 235 speer .375 in a 9 pound .375 H&H is like shooting a .22 hornet.....

your thoughts ?
WILL THE QUILTED KIND HELP ANY? :mrgreen:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bikerbeans »

New or used TP? :shock:

BB
1894c

Post by 1894c »

bikerbeans wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:24 pm New or used TP? :shock:
BB
I'd go with new, because you don't want to spread some random DNA back into polite society... actually, I like KirkD's idea alot... :)
t.p.ad.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Never used fillers, tp, or anything else in my loads, and never will. I use powders that don't need them. Simpler and safer.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Does the TP wipe your bore?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 am Never used fillers, tp, or anything else in my loads, and never will. I use powders that don't need them. Simpler and safer.
I agree......fillers can be hazardous even if properly done. That's why there is Unique and 5744.---6
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

piller wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:02 am Does the TP wipe your bore?
roflmao! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:55 am
marlinman93 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 am Never used fillers, tp, or anything else in my loads, and never will. I use powders that don't need them. Simpler and safer.
I agree......fillers can be hazardous even if properly done. That's why there is Unique and 5744.---6
Years ago I bought a copy of "The Modern Schuetzen Rifle" by Wayne, Dell, and Schwartz. Charlie Dell did some experiments with smokeless powders and wads, fillers, etc. He was able to "ring" chambers creating a neat little lateral bulge almost at will. There were plenty of powders he tried that would ring the chamber if a filler or wad was used. But none of them would ring a chamber without any filler or wad.
After reading his trials, and experiments, it just confirmed my not ever using them.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am very curious as to how that could work. To do it, it would have to create an overpressure situation. A very big overpressure situation. Were these fast burning powders which the fillers forced into an area that was actually too small for their burn rate? Could that have been the cause of an overpressure situation of epic proportions? Generally, most rifle powders do not give pressures over 65,000, and it usually takes over 90,000 to cause a bulge in a rifle barrel. These are generalizations, and not necessarily the most accurate pressures. Just used to show that it does not seem intuitive that reduced powder charges would cause increased pressures.
D. Brian Casady
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Piller...I'm no ballistician but from what I understand, the filler, or wad of some sort acts as an obstruction, the same way a chunk of dirt or something in the barrel will cause a bulge or ring. It does not need much pressure to do this....think a .22 slug is halfway down the barrel and you shoot another round...it will leave a ring....sometimes...

I "think" that's the way it happens. What I do know for sure, I've seen several old rifles with rings in the chamber from people using fillers/wads.--6
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

OK. A temporary blockage could explain a pressure spike. I had not considered that.
D. Brian Casady
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 pm Piller...I'm no ballistician but from what I understand, the filler, or wad of some sort acts as an obstruction, the same way a chunk of dirt or something in the barrel will cause a bulge or ring. It does not need much pressure to do this....think a .22 slug is halfway down the barrel and you shoot another round...it will leave a ring....sometimes...

I "think" that's the way it happens. What I do know for sure, I've seen several old rifles with rings in the chamber from people using fillers/wads.--6
Perfect description Sixgun! And exactly what Charlie Dell said was happening. Since there is something over the powder, and a bullet at the end of the case, the powder begins to build pressure and then slams into the bullet. That reaction rings or bulges the chamber instantly. And it doesn't take more than once to happen.
I've got a very rare and expensive Ballard #7 Long-Range rifle in .44-100 sitting here with a bulged chamber. I bought it that way because someone ringed the chamber using small charges of smokeless and a wad. Perfect bore in it, so I hope to have the chamber reamed and lined; then rechambered in the original .44-100 caliber.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks Marlinman....anyone who plays with the old guns for a long enough time learns these things, either through his or others mistakes. I've posted this before here on the board but for some reason, I get blown off with one guy specifically telling me, "everyone does it"....oh well, that's their guns.---6
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I did some reading. It seems that the double base propellants which have nitroglycerine in them will ring a chamber if there is too much open space between the powder and the bullet. A secondary detonation occurs when the first base burns then the pressure wave hits the stationary object. The bullet. It seems that this does not occur when the double base propellant has only a small space between it and the bullet, or when the powder is not up against the primer such as would happen if you raise the muzzle straight up before firing. That also explains the damaged old shotgun barrels that were so common when smokeless powder really took over. Some fellow wrote a book about his experiments, and he could ring a chamber almost at will with a reduced load of double base propellant and the firearm pointed straight up. That was without a wad or filler. What I noticed was that it was double base powder in almost every case.
D. Brian Casady