44 spceial comparison ...... interesting article that might appeal to many here

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: 44 spceial comparison ...... interesting article that might appeal to many here

Post by octagon »

Cool. Thanks for posting. A .44 snub makes sense. I'll soon have 3 kids in college at once :shock: . That revolver will have to wait :|
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: 44 spceial comparison ...... interesting article that might appeal to many here

Post by JB »

2.75" and 3.5" from a rest at 15 yards is terrible accuracy from that S&W Backpacker. I'm also not to sure about his comment that "it is difficult to get the same type of accuracy with plain lead as you do jacketed bullets". I'm a 44 special fan though. I use my 2 3/4" S&W 69 as my home 44 special gun.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

He faulted the lead for shedding but it looked to me like it was not excessive. Some of the best performing law enforcement rounds shed pieces. 9BPLE comes to mind.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

44 Special is one of the most under rated personal defense rounds. Its a fantastic caliber especially for handloaders
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

IMO the writer comes close to winning the Bozo of the Year Award. His babble about friction in the bore being a big factor in felt recoil, at least that is how I interpreted it, left me thoroughly confused. Then he tries to put the difference in velocity down to "bore friction". "Ya don't suppose it might be a hotter load, do ya, pilgrim?" I certainly wasn't with his accuracy results either, his 15 yd. groups off a rest, were about what I used to get when I was shooting PPC, firing offhand & double action.

I suspect he may go far in the gun writing business.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm... I guess that's interesting , if a bit limited. Were (who's "we" btw, I only noticed one author's name) we comparing the two rounds or testing the revolver? If testing a cartridge, it'd have been for more informative to use several arms, especially of different bbl lengths. Oh well, space constraints on a web-based e-zine must be more constricting than in an actual magazine! Not!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

44 Special is one of the most under rated personal defense rounds. Its a fantastic caliber especially for handloaders
Yep. A 240 gr. .429" bullet at around 1,000 fps is a great choice for social work.
Terminal effect is not too different than the effective and well-established 230 gr. 45 cal.
bullet at 900-1,00 fps.

-Stretch
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I stopped reading when the author mentioned a lead bullet not "biting the barrel" and friction/recoil. Maybe I'll read more later, but I got a bad impression of an author not knowing much about cast lead bullets when comparing a lead bullet load against a jacketed bullet load...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I shoot nothing but cast lead bullets in my .44 Special. Handloads from 700 fps to 1100 fps, depending on what I am doing. My barrel seems to bite them OK. If my 15 yards groups were that large I would be severely depressed ... but then again, my pocket pistol is a USFA single action with a 5 1/2" barrel. What little I have done with the .44 Special leads me to think that even the short guns should do a lot better than that. But that is just my opinion.
IMG_0604.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I read every article I could find since the 1950`s I could find on the .44 special. Then when I got older I started accumulating them. I have seven. Four smith`s, two colt sa`s and a ruger. I also own a smith 29-2 with a rare 5" barrel. I believe the 44 special and .45 colt will kill everything as dead as the .44 mag. Especially if you handload. When you say the beautiful feature that the mag will also shoot the special you are missing the most desirable feature between the model 29 and the smith specials. That is the portability factor due to the specials less weight. The 29 (except for the mountain gun) has the straight bull barrel and the specials have the pencil barrel. They also have the shorter cylinder. The 29 has the wider trigger and hammer. That all put together add`s weight and bulk.
https://i.postimg.cc/JzRVzvzk/IMG-1417-edited-1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/B6Z7wvHt/Ruger-44- ... -23413.jpg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I did I did find the part about friction and recoil a bit disconcerting, because it makes no sense from a physics standpoint. However like others here, I think the 44 special is underappreciated, and I'm glad to see stuff in print that is overall favorable about the cartridge.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Booger, I should pre inherit all of those.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Old Savage wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:39 pm Booger, I should pre inherit all of those.
Uncle Booger, your long-lost nephew Ray vying for a chair at the reading of the will !
m.A.g.a. !
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Thanks guys. Truth is they haven`t seen the light of day in many years. I have been laid up the last couple. I know what I should do, (sell a few) but just haven't been able to bring myself to do it just yet.