Installed an "Einstecklauf" in a German Drilling

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Installed an "Einstecklauf" in a German Drilling

Post by Old No7 »

What's that? You never heard of an "Einstecklauf"?

It's an "insert barrel" which will allow me to convert my German Blitz Triggerplate Drilling in 16 x 16 x 8mm Mauser -- into a 16 x 22 Mag x 8mm Mauser.
German Drilling (10) (Small).jpg

I bought it from a German gun importer whose mission it is to "Save The Guns" -- as any fine old firearms which are left behind by the deceased "must be destroyed" by the Police if a suitable buyer is not found in a short timeframe. So this U.S. importer works with a gunsmith over in Germany to claim and literally "salvage" some fine old Germanic or Austrian guns when local buyers are not readily found in Germany. They ship them over here to -- "Save The Guns". (A noble cause I'd say.)

Here's what the highly engineered device looks like... (less than 8" long)
Kreighoff 16-22WMR 03 (Small).jpg

Following some ideas on threads from the DoubleGun forum, I was able to fit the extractor (painstakingly hand filed) to my Drilling's extractor, set the headspace and then slightly file on the 3 adjustable bearing pads to allow it to chamber correctly. The headspace is all set and an unfired 22 Mag chambers easily, and extracts well, and the action closes just fine with no binding evident.
Kreighoff 16-22WMR 04 (Small).jpg

I'm not sure how it will shoot yet, but I have read that bore-sighting is the preferred way to "get it close". Right now, it isn't hitting the shotgun barrel -- which is great -- but I think it is aimed a little too low. Lacking any installation instructions at all, I am taxing my gunsmithing, logic and observational powers to do what I think needs to be done. I believe I will have to adjust ("file" some more) the two upper adjusting pads as they are both bottomed out and I cannot adjust one side to correct for windage. For one to move more left, the other one has to move right by that same amount. I also think the elevation adjustment, via the larger bottom adjusting/locking pad, will need some more work too; but in order for that to lift the front of the barrel, the top pads will have to give some. But as noted, they're a snug fit for now. I'm guessing this is probably pretty common when fitting a new Einstecklauf, where it was never fit to another barrel before. I'll test fire it to make sure it works, but will hold off on any future filing or fitting until I get some feedback from members of the German Gun Collectors Association which I'd joined months ago.

Well, here it is. All installed, locked in, and with the 3 chambers "loaded for bear" -- or should I say for "Fox, pheasant and red stag".
Kreighoff 16-22WMR 05 (Small).jpg

With this Drilling, I'll be all set for squirrels, rabbits, fox, partridge, pheasant, coyotes or even deer with just 1 gun. :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Installed an "Einstecklauf" in a German Drilling

Post by hfcable »

i have couple of those. i am intrigued with the multipurpose firearm.. i admit

would really like to have a vierling, the 4 barrel version, but its out of my budget range....and have seen pictures of the 5 barrel guns - "funfling" - but ... well i can dream

you have a really nice set up there !
cable
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darryl, that's just outstanding. I have a .22 liner from Lee Shaver for my .45-70 Sharps but haven't used it yet. Dein Einstecklauf sieht aus to be very nicely engineered. 8)
Three cheers for "Save the Guns"!
Last edited by Bill in Oregon on Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hey Darryl, now you have a one gun do it all, can I have all your others.... :?:

Another three cheers for "Save the Guns" :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:46 pm Hey Darryl, now you have a one gun do it all, can I have all your others.... :?:
Sure John -- but you'd have to take possession over HERE. :wink:

(Beer's cold -- but can warm it if you want -- you're welcome any time.)

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks Darryl but I might have trouble getting them back through UK customs :cry: and another thing, I may be a Limey but I don't like warm beer :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Darryl, I just found this on Pinterest. Thought you might be interested.... :)

https://pin.it/ads5xxlwjzeweh
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Very nice. That is beautiful.

Hey GK,
You may as well stop here too, I'm just up the road a piece.
Can't have ALL my guns, however. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks OldWin, better get me a Buffalo coat.... :lol:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Now that`s cool beans for sure. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

ya might try a wood insert that centers the short barrle in the big barrel. seems like a more positive method than filing spacers. a piece of osage would be just about right.

of course this would make all the oldtimers in the oldcountry turn over, but, who cares ?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:55 pm Thanks OldWin, better get me a Buffalo coat.... :lol:
Haha! You got me there, buddy! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.