8 gauge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

8 gauge

Post by 6pt-sika »

Anyone have any 8 gauge loading tools that they wanna let go of or know where something along those lines might be for sale ? I’m in negotiations for an 8 gauge hammer gun , no not a Parker (I wish) but an 8 none the less . I figured I’d get feelers out looking for loading tools before I possibly acquired the thing . Just what I need a seventh gauge to load for :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 8 gauge

Post by M. M. Wright »

If you can come up with some brass shells we can make everything else you need and I'll bet Circlefly has the wads you'll need. Or John Walters. Does IAC make 8 ga shells? I rigged up everything for 10 ga so 8 would be no problem.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I can buy rudimentary tools from Rocky Mountain Cartridge in WY but that stuffs kinda expensive . I’m planning on if I get this thing to use the Remington industrial plastic hulls . You can either peel off the extra brass at the base or take a pair of LARGE electricians crimpers are kinda resize that ring . A more typical steel sizing for can be bought from CH-4D as well . There’s also a fellow in Wisconsin or Minnesota that’s into big bore shotguns that has been known to rework MEC 600JR’s for 8 gauge just he isn’t economical either and his production time frame is kinda slow .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Remington incidentally makes a plastic SP-8 wad with shotcup etc . Now I realize that technically it’s illegal to use an 8 gauge for ANY game in the Old Dominion but if I acquire this bird it’ll eventually kill a deer with buckshot and maybe a turkey with #4’s or 6’s .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

These guys make reloading kits for the 8 and sell brass cases at various lengths all be it the cases are about $10-15 EACH ! https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/products.htm
1894c

Post by 1894c »

8 GAUGE ... all I can say is wow... :O
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

30-30 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:10 am 8 GAUGE ... all I can say is wow... :O
Don’t have it yet so there’s a large if involved :roll:
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I dont have one yet... maybe someday. But I've heard there are companies over in the old country that will rebore the Zabala 10 gauge shotguns to 8 gauge... I have. Zabala 10 gauge with an extra set of barrels... 2 barrels of 8 gauge would be quite the home security system...
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

30-30 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:10 am 8 GAUGE ... all I can say is wow... :O
8 GAUGE ... all I can say is ouch!!!!... :O

Fixed that for ya! :wink:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have seen 2 different 8 bores, one was a single shot front stuffer, got to shoot this, was quite fun! The other is the holy grail, yup a Parker! However I only got to look at this one. As for tooling ,I've not seen any, but I'll keep my eyes open!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sheesh.. went wildly searching 8 bore topics and subjects. Sheesh. Now I have to look for an 8 bore upper for my AR project :!: :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 am I have seen 2 different 8 bores, one was a single shot front stuffer, got to shoot this, was quite fun! The other is the holy grail, yup a Parker! However I only got to look at this one. As for tooling ,I've not seen any, but I'll keep my eyes open!
Parker 8’s are rare no doubt , but LC Smith 8’s are rarer and if I’m not mistaken Lefever Are more rare yet 8’s . If I get this 1880’s 1890’s euro thing I’m looking at and get tooled up I reckon eventually I’ll acquire a Parker hammerless 8 as well .
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

A pal has an 8, up on the wall was his grandpa's. He wont hunt it, a Federal law, and they know best :roll: no idea what make
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

In a pinch,if you can find them Remington used to load shot shells that where used for concrete busting in mixers, they where 8ga plastic hulls, they did require a little modification. They are still legally use in the U.K. mite be able to pickup shells with a little internet searching

I loved the old 8ga, shooting my x-father in laws single led me down the path to buying a 8-bore under hammer,it got everyone's attention, when fired
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Dave James wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:58 pm In a pinch,if you can find them Remington used to load shot shells that where used for concrete busting in mixers, they where 8ga plastic hulls, they did require a little modification. They are still legally use in the U.K. mite be able to pickup shells with a little internet searching

I loved the old 8ga, shooting my x-father in laws single led me down the path to buying a 8-bore under hammer,it got everyone's attention, when fired
You can buy those hulls now new , that’s what I mentioned earlier when I said “industrial hulls” .
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

gotcha!!! :D
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I am not the proud owner of an 8 gauge !

The gun I was after was sold at auction today and went a couple hundred over what I was willing to part with pluis the 23% buyers premium and shipping .

I did however pick up what appears to be a rather nice Grade 1 Parker 10 gauge top lever hammer gun on a #3 frame with 30" factory correct barrels in a leg o mutton case and a Parker letter for very little even with the 23% buyers premium added 8)
H0063-L190825788_original.jpg
H0063-L190825791.jpg
H0063-L190885532.jpg
H0063-L190885569.jpg
H0063-L190885584.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.