The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Ha you would think so ! The 4 yesterday I gave to extended family. If any are shot up real bad I nuke then in the microwave and the girls get to have the meat.
This morning we were back out before the nasty rain,freezing rain started. Got 3 more! Took both Claro and Parker- oh my did the shock collar get a workout! Claro decided she was going to hunt for herself! But once they burned off the extra energy they hunted much closer.

Now it's ice pellets and snow- not a pleasant day out there!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well we didn’t see much in the way of deer in the woods yesterday but then there is always the front yard.IMG_0230.jpeg
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I dont see no deer or front yard...? :D

Boy did we get ice yesterday into the evening but it must have warmed up quite a bit overnight, I could walk on the driveway this morning without slipping- paved and down hill grade. Now its snowing !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Gunny, when pheasant have extra pellets in them or are torn up by extreme overkill of using number 5 or larger shot, try soaking the meat overnight in brine. It usually pulls out any pellets that were not found during the initial cleaning. The brine also helps tenderize the meat.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

We always brine the turkey.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Piller, I shoot magnum 7& narfs ( as our English comrades would say) most times I don't have much meat ruined. I have been trying some 5&6s in my second barrel but hardly needing it!
I figure the girls deserve something for all their hard work too! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow! I'm gone 4 days and only a handful of posts in the Gun Room??? You guys need to get some action in your lives......we had more action upstate than an inner city barbecue with free Mad Dog 20/20 and a 55 gallon barrel full of greasy chicken gizzards.---6

More later.....YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHATS ITS LIKE TO FEEL AFTER HAVING NO TV, NO INTERNET, NO NEWSPAPERS, NO IDIOTS, NO WOMEN AND A PURPOSElY RUN DOWN PHONE BATTERY FOR 4 AND A HALF DAYS.......JUST THREE GUYS WHO GET ALONG, ALL THE FOOD YOU CAN EAT, WILDERNESS, REVOLVERS, WINCHESTERS, A MACHINE GUN (or two), A WARM CABIN (with electric). Not even sure if I have a pulse.-----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well Six, what can we say? It just ain't the same when you ain't around.
Glad you made it back alive. Sounds like a great time.

Me? Let's see.........
I went back to work after a week and a half off, had a dentist appointment yesterday (usually they ain't busy on account of so few people having teeth up here), and now I'm waiting to go clean up more snow.
Lots of action in MY life buddy. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay....how do dentists make any money up there? (That was funny...me and mom got a great laugh)....you figure 17 people in the state of Maine that have teeth...does the government them live in one town? Hey! Where I just came from I don't think the people get old enough to have teeth. Some "houses" had more junk around them than a junkyard......THAT makes me laugh as if these "people" had half a brain, they could have scrapyard dumpsters brought in. You can get a couple of hundred for a junk car and a big dumpster filled with metal can be worth $500-1000. Don't make no sense as the scrapyard people will do the work and then hand over a check. Geeze ! Just think, they could have the scrapyard people clean up the backyard, frontyard, and even the dooryard. :D

Well...saw a lot of deer, no bucks but I had no interest, deciding on carrying a Model 53 in 25-20, looking for yotes. Gunny carried a 6.5 Creedmore even though the farthest shot in the woods was probably 75 yards, he just wanted to test out the cartridge and his brother George carried a 99 Savage in 300. Must have been 10 handguns in camp.

This is "The Gunny" on the left with his brother George....both military lifers...Gunny in the Marines and George in the Army. Gunny splitting wood with a double bit axe. White ash..one swipe...best I could do was stick the axe in the wood.

Me and Gunny in front of the fireplace...he has his "tough guy" look on his face and a single action 45

Our home...it's been in Gunny's family since 1932

The day before I left Gunny calls me to tell me that we have a new "bridge" ...a tree that fell down...the original real bridge was wiped out in a flood several years back. As soon as I pulled in with the Jeep, they were outside so I said,"hey! New bridge" I walked over to check it out and promptly fell in the 34 degree water. Gunny pulled me out. I was soaked up to my chest and had to change clothes. The little wood bridge leading to the tree was not there at the time. I tested out the area around the base of the roots...thought it was strong and put my foot on it....it gave way.....right through and in the water I went. It was three feet deep at that point but my butt went in first. That's what I get for laughing at George last year when he fell in farther down the stream.

Point of impact on my body.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice pics buddy. Looks like a great time. Glad you got out for a few days.
I really wish we had a video of your bath, however. :D
That would have made for a Merry Christmas! :D
Bet the old Jeep was glad to get out too!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm not laughing at you but with you!! :lol: Glad you didnt get hurt!
Six here we go in Quebec we travel 67 miles of dirt roads to get into camp- I know exactly how it feels, and I LOVE it! So quiet you can hold a conversation a half mile distant, more stars than you can imagine, if you listen very carefully you can hear the gazillions of mosquitoes!
The dentist's in Maine work on horses and mooses most of the year. Maybe the odd dog too. Do they have a toothyard?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

First....i gotta comment on the snow in southern Cali!!!!! Amazing! But the townsfolk were hoopin and hollering.
I bet with the snow all the ladies were covering up the soft stuff.....must have put a hurtin' on Old Savage.

Well...good to be back with my cyber buddies....too tired and brain dead to,talk normal....gotta get my 10-12 hours....it was KILLING me getting up at 7....those two soldiers were both up at 4:30 everyday hollering..."get up...get up"...Gunny was a DI and his voice goes right through ya....a bit intimidating, even if you know him

I'll tell you boys about the fanny burbs tomorrow......Gunny dang near blew up the cabin....stunk so bad that me and George had to go outside and sit in a ice storm to get away from it....then he farted in a restaurant the next day.....tell ya more tomorrow.----6.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Welcome back, must have been quite a "thrillx to be dunked in that stream.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Snowing here this morning, didn't see that in the forecast!

Winnie has been waiting all year for snow, she does love a good snow bath! She will be outside just rubbing her head, neck in the snow then she flops down and just gets to sliding around like an otter just having a grand time! She likes to grab Parkers collar and flip her into the snow too.

Aw shoot I forgot to plug in my truck last night!! The Cummins doesn't need to be plugged in but I prefer to keep it as warm as possible since it hardly get to operating temp on the short trips to job sites.

Ok coffee time- Black Rifle coffee, as seen on FOX news!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok..ok....11:50....been up since 10......got clean up to do and then it's back to normal routine......

Gunny gave me 400 80 gr Sierra Matchkings and a hundred Berger 80 gr VLD's to test out. Since he started shooting Bergers, he don't even fool with Sierra's anymore. That reminds me, he needs 115 Lyman gas check bullets for his 32-20....maybe next week I'll fire up the furnace.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's snowing again!
Seems I have landed a job! Friend of mine asked me to give him some help, now he is putting me on the payroll! Be awful nice to have W2 income again. No more estimated quarterly taxes!!7:30-3:30 , time off if & when I need it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am still in the woods chawing Bambi’s Daddy in Western Pa.
Congratulations Gunny! Whatcha gonna be doin?
Welcome back Jack. Glad ya had a good time.
To all the other posters on this thread, Howdy.
Still looking for a firing pin for my Marlin model 1889 44-40 if anybody has a lead.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny's a working stiff???!!! Hurray!!!! Not me, I ain't workin' and I don't make no bones about it--(quote from Johnny Rebel)

Tom is huntin' for deer and huntin' for a firing pin for his 1889. I got one but it comes in a rifle. Can't be too hard to make one.

Nuttin happening here either......just watching Hannity with Miss Apple snoozing away.

Oh! Forgot to mention...while upstate we stopped in Euro Optics. These people have a showroom for the most expensive scopes in the world along with every exotic AR of every make and model from around the world...$4500 Schmidt and Benders, $5000 Ar's from Sweden......it's all in a two horse town called Montoursville, an area next to Williamsport where if you added the entire towns income you might come up with $1400. Obviously, Euro Optics is an internet operation. They had a "Black Friday Weekend" if you want to call it that.....I did manage to snag another Geissele Super Semi-Automatic trigger for a bit over 2.--

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Chasing or chasing Bambi's dad?
Just more of what I know Tom- carpentry... I still can't find someone to PAY me to shoot birds! :D

Right now we are making sound panels ( I guess that's what they are) the home owner is a composer that has done music for Broadway, we are making these panels to absorb sound for his in home recording studio. He had some sound engineer come in with high tec computer that tells what when and where the panels need to be.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey gunny...sounds interesting on the sound panels. What's the material, foam of some sort? I was thinking of coating the shooting shack with egg crate foam.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The panels we are doing are angled from wall to ceiling, kind of like very large crown moulding. 22" across. Anyhow they are made from 1x stock, wrapped with an acoustic fabric , then the panel has 2" rigid fiberglass insulation with a very light cloth backing. We are also hanging the same type of panels from the ceiling. It is surprising how quite this room is without the pre made wall sections up. I'll post a picture or 2...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The panels
20191204_151322-800x600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice work Gunny!

Man!
So, I go to the dentist for a cleaning Monday. No problem, routine......
Yesterday morning I get home from work. Kristy leaves me a breakfast every morning before she heads to work.
Mmmmmm. Fried eggs and deer sausage. It was great!.....right up until the last bite. Must have been a tiny piece of bone......BANG! Broke my tooth! @#&%!#!
Back to the dentist today. Lucked out. She welded that sucker back together.
Good thing.......it's my only one! :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You are lucky to have one of your own. My Cousins in Arkansas have to share a tooth. Three Cousins and 1 tooth.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Now THAT’s funny, I don’t care who you are.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...high class gig your bud has......I'm just getting info for sound proofing as it's gets more built up around here and the wrong kind of people are infiltrating......and it pretty much looks like the cheapest foam I can get from one of the stores where degenerate Trump supporters go to.

In my buddies gunshop he has this high tech expensive foam in the gun range. Must be good as the range is part of the shop and you don't hear nuttin but a ?? (Whatever muffled gunshots y get tomthe other sidesound like)

Nice conversation from Jay and Piller..... :D "last tooth" :D Dont know if it's true but I read that there has never been a murder solved in Maine as no one has any teeth and everyone has the same DNA.

Decided to tackle a stump out front. This was a maple tree that was NOT pushed out of the ground like the other trees. There was still maybe 3-4' of the stump sticking out. So....I fire up the Stihl with the 18" bar and start cutting about 8" from the ground. This area of the stump is where the roots spread out and it's wide there..at least 4'. I start cutting around and around and finally get to the other side but as usually I wasn't paying attention and wound up about 4" higher than where I started. Long story on a stupid subject but after cutting all kinds of different ways I said "f it"....put the saw down, went to the barn and got the mighty Kubota .......raised the bucket about 4" lower than the top of the stum and rammed it. Got it out.

Found out last night the Nightforce scope has an illuminated reticle--6
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

So, which pistol did you mount it on ?
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Piller! Now THAT is funny! Bra-vo. :D

You too Six!
And yeah.......it's pretty much true. :D
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

harry wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:48 pm So, which pistol did you mount it on ?
Harry,
After much thought with the different long range disciplines I do I decided to put it on the Smith & Wesson #1 in .22 Short that was made in 1868. Should have no problem knocking down the 500 meter rams. With 7 grains of 4F black and a 29 gr. swaged bullet I calculated only 643 minutes of angle elevation with a 385 meter zero in order to hit the 500 meter rams. ---6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It sure is refreshing to see a real professional at work. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I neglected to mention the designer of this studio specified these panels to be removable... How are they fastened? Velcro strips. Of course those of us with any brains know this isn't going to last very long as Gravity is against us. Not to mention the design calls for more batting to be rolled up and stuffed in behind our panels, adding more weight.

Six I think you better do some testing, your hold overs don't seem right, I forget the exact numbers but once I figured the hold over for 25-20 @1000 yds- I believe it was about 111 feet ! Hate to see you waste all those 22shorts trying to get sighted in! :lol:

It's not that everyone in Maine has the same DNA , it's that they all was the same tooth for dental records!

Welded the tooth back together?! Where did the dentist hook up the ground clamp? TIG ,MIG or stick? :lol: :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's gas welding. You "insert" the tube in the patient, then run the other end beside the tooth to be welded. When the the dentist is in position and ready, they give the signal to the patient. The patient then rips as big a fanny burp as possible while the dentist hits the spark.
It works pretty good........but leaves a bad taste in your mouth. :D
Don't they do it like that everywhere?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Huh, learn something new everyday! So I'm guessing there is a lot more dentistry done during the month of November in deer camps from all those hunters eating chili,beans, eggs etc than the rest of the year? Ol Six could probably get a job as a gas supplier :lol: :lol: , it would be easy work too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Gunny you may let Six fanny burp in your mouth, not so much here.
Trump 2024

harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 pm
harry wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:48 pm So, which pistol did you mount it on ?
Harry,
After much thought with the different long range disciplines I do I decided to put it on the Smith & Wesson #1 in .22 Short that was made in 1868. Should have no problem knocking down the 500 meter rams. With 7 grains of 4F black and a 29 gr. swaged bullet I calculated only 643 minutes of angle elevation with a 385 meter zero in order to hit the 500 meter rams. ---6

Six you know if you’re going to play the long range game with that setup it might be worth your while to ream it out to 22 long “creedmore”.
Trump 2024

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

THATS what I like to see...a half dozen posts that have the meaning of nothing......hot air......it's called, "The dumbing down of Leverguns". Well done boys! :D (and I do mean boys) :D

Now, on to the teeth of Maine and the welding job that uses a fanny burp as a catalyst...GREAT! ....even leaves a "bad taste in your mouth". :D well, I'll have you know I am not the fanny burp champion, Gunny (senior Gunny) has me beat. While at Hosses, he ate THREE bowls of baked beans and I knew I was in trouble...and I was.....I swear, the cabin smelled like an oil refinery. Imagine that, a 64 y.o, a 65 y.o., (me) and George, 69 y.o having a fanny burp contest!

And senior Gunny was a guy who made a recruit go in a dark underground room (former warehouse) for three days, for not doing what Gunny told him to do) and another recruit jump out of a second story window...through the glass....(from fear of Gunny whackIng him)

I think Harry is right.....I better find another gun to mount the Nightforce on.

AND.....to a serious matter.....Junior Gunny.....there's this other stuff I usually use instead on Velcro....it's made by 3M and it's locking Velcro of some sort....you don't hear the ripping sound......little plastic thingys stick out about an eighth of an inch and they really hold well.---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep I know that kind of velcro ! The sound guy gave spec the stuff we used, bet it was close to 50 ' or more!
Today we got the ceiling panels hung, not a regular drop ceiling but 8" thick, 39"x 41" and 5 " thick and same size as the others. Then we made the last 4 wall panels and hung those. Let me say this room is QUIET! Clap your hands an no echo without all the other wall panels hung. Amazingly quiet.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

No bikinis... but,pork loin, seasoned potatoes and Mike Hard Black Cherry Lemonade.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now that looks delicious!!
I got a recipe from a Jack Daniels cook book for a pork roast, first time was out of this world good, haven't been able to reproduce it since ! What did you use on it Griff?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Darned if I know, comes all marinated in a package @ Wally-World!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah gotcha! Looks very tasty .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:42 pmAh gotcha! Looks very tasty .
It was!!! :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Geeze Griff....that's one heck of a chunk of meat..you look like you know what your doing......waiting for Old Savage to give his blue ribbon mark of approval.

Got a call tonight..."come on down and stock up on reloading supplies"....got to cherry pick before it hit the floor....Oh Lordy, a thousand or more 30 caliber jacketed bullets of varying weights...perfect for blasting in the BAR...4-5 hundred 44 cal. handgun jacketed, 357 bullets..8-10 pounds of various powders.......it's all been opened and partially used but I can tell what's what.....got robbed..$62......

As usual, I win. :D ---6
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Six, for your sound insulation? Find some old asbestos ceiling tiles. They really work..Great stuff. You'd have my strong personal approval.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good for you Jack! But you forgot to pick up the .41 bullets for ME :lol: ! That's ok, I've got more than enough for the amount I shoot my 41s.
Woke up at 4:30 this morning, yesterday was 4 am- old habits die hard I guess!
Claro- ya wanna go huntin?! I thought so! Ok,ok we will go now stop beating up the furniture with your tail! - I've created a monster!
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! You get some smokin deals down there buddy!

Gunny,
Glad you and Claro are getting some field time.
Things are slowing down here. Week of muzzle loader season left. Still cleaning up gear from hunting.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well someone ( not me) had a wild hair again this morning! My trigger finger got a lot of use- on the button of the shock collar!! Ol Claro had a mind of her own, 2 wild flushes, a rooster that I hit, flew into the woods fell and was grabbed by a hawk! Took some fancy footwork to get 1 bird, another fell to a long poke about 45 yards, not too shabby for 3/4 oz of 7 narfs and improved cylinder!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

A hawk grabbed your bird? Did you see it again? That must have been quite a sight. There's a few of them living around here and we are concerned for our little dogs....screw the cats......I've seen them many times sitting on the peak of the barn ......I'm not a fan of hawks but we all know the consequences of blitzing one of those. Can say the same about eagles too...nasty.....as I've said before, my inlaws are beef butchers and game processors.......every now and then they will put scraps out in the field and in no time at all it's all gone...hawks, sometimes eagles, in the day and foxes, whatever at night. ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup by the time that rooster hit the ground a hawk had dropped out of a tree it was sitting in, folded its wings and grabbed that pheasant. We have had hawks hit pheasants in mid air- looks like an M80 going off inside a feather pillow!
When we are stocking birds the hawks sit in the trees waiting for a bird to fly.
Around here the buzzards are on a roadkill or a gut pile minutes to hours- nothing goes to waste.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I guess that's why we don't see much small game anymore......in the sixties to the eighties there was lots of small game...
Pheasants everywhere, rabbits.....now the only thing you see are squirrels. The old 7 year rebound for rabbits is now pushing 30 years. Also, in the sixties there was a bounty on 🦊.........now it's all reversed, hawks and 🦊 everywhere with very little small game. .......unless of course, your lucky and wealthy enough to belong to a game farm. :D ......

Been organizing all those bullets I got the other night. Got enough 30 caliber jacketed bullets to feed the BAR and the Garand for quite some time. ----6.........o