30-30 Ackley advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Brett915
Levergunner

30-30 Ackley advice

Post by Brett915 »

What the best powder and bullets. And what ever other advice. Will be doing the conversion in a few weeks.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: 30-30 Ackley advice

Post by claybob86 »

Welcome aboard!

I have no experience with the .30-30 AI, but here's the page out of Ackley's book:
Capture111.JPG
This is from 1962, so there's probably more recent and detailed data available.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nor do I have but I do have a 257 AI. making brass is easy enough, just shoot factory ammo in your AI chamber to form cases.
As for data don't exceed max loads without working up to them. The data available is old and powders have changed over the years.

Oh, and WELCOME,
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've thought for many years that a 336 Marlin 30-30 AI would be the perfect woods rifle but I discovered the BLR in 308 and never built the rifle. A 94 Winchester would work too but I wanted a scope on it. I still think a 25-35 AI would be the cat's meow with maybe a tang sight.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by fatboy »

I have a .30WCF AI on an ancient Model 99 action, a custom, it is superbly accurate! My best handloads use 150 grain slugs, usually a round nose because the rotor/mag were cut for .22HighPower and are short, over a charge of 3031. I've also had very good accuracy from the Speer 130gr slug, both the varmint and the deer bullet. If you are using once or many times fired brass, expect to lose about 10% of your cases as you fire form. Just starting out I would look for powders at about the same burn rate as 3031/4064/4895. FWIW YMMV.
Bob
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

My 30-30 AI is an 18" Marlin 30TK. I've had the best results with the 150 gr Speer and RL15. I can get to 2500 fps. But be careful, when you get to top end loads, they go way beyond real quick.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Our erstwhile ( :( ) Forumite Bestlever loaded 30wcf AI with 130 grain pointy bullets. Said he was getting upwards of 2700 fps and excellent accuracy. Couldn't load more than one in the tube, but as good as he shot, I doubt the second shot was ever needed.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

What rifle? In a 336 or 94 action, for example, I would be looking hard at Leverevolution for its flatter pressure curve to diminish bolt thrust with the AI. In something like an H&R SB2 receiver, I would want to try 150s with IMR 4064 headed for 308 Lite territory. And with something like the Savage 340, I would still be working with Leverevolution and it's delayed peak pressure.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

According to P. O. there is no bolt thrust with the AI. His first book has a nice article on his experiments.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:30 am According to P. O. there is no bolt thrust with the AI. His first book has a nice article on his experiments.
Bless him.

I have Ackley's books. By removing body taper, the Ackley profile does diminish bolt thrust. His claim that straight walled cartridges expand and "cling" to the chamber walls, thereby negating all bolt thrust is absurd. Because physics. The idea that straight body taper suddenly defies the thermodynamics of gas expansion is false. And 30-30 AI results in a 8.5% increase in powder capacity with 150 grs bullets. From my perspective, adding 8.5% powder capacity and moving a 150grs bullet up to 308 Winchester speed in a lever gun designed for 30-30 pressures would merit an examination of all technology aimed at mitigating peak pressures. Others risk profiles may differ.

Forgot about this article. The 30-30 Ackley has been specifically tested to determine whether the mitigated bolt-thrust claim made by Ackley stands up. The answer is "Yes, but". Lots of info, but I still think LVR would bear exploration as a further mitigator.

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammunit ... olt-thrust
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I tried loading LVR with 150 gr bullets. Could be my rifle, or the combination with the particular bullets I was using, but accuracy was dismal, and pressures get out of hand very quickly. Thankfully a friend with Quickload saved me from a likely catastrophic ending.
NRA Life Member
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

TedH wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:29 am I tried loading LVR with 150 gr bullets. Could be my rifle, or the combination with the particular bullets I was using, but accuracy was dismal, and pressures get out of hand very quickly. Thankfully a friend with Quickload saved me from a likely catastrophic ending.
Good to know and glad to hear all ended well.
Brett915
Levergunner

Post by Brett915 »

Thanks for all the information. I have h4895 varget and lvr powder. Been thinking of getting some reloader 15 also. If all is a success I will share my findings with all of you. I just hope I find a good fast, and safe load that is accurate. If not, accuracy will do. Thanks to all f you for your help.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I'm partial to IMR 3031 because of its versatility. It is not the best in any application but it always seems to be near the top.

Perhaps not the most ringing endorsement but its an honest reply.

Wm